82 C3 Collectors Edition.

Andy J

CCCUK Member
So, despite being a member for a year now i still dont have a Corvette! However, ive seen that Midland Mustangs are bringing in an 82 C3 Collectors Edition very soon and its caught my eye.
Im just wondering, as its the injected version of the C3 should i be concerned about the 40 year old electronics? I imagine that finding a spare ECU if i needed one would be problematic and i cant imagine that theres a huge knowledge base in the UK for a 1 year only model or are there parallels with the first C4s?
Would i just be just better to stick to the earlier carburettor models?
I do like the paint job and love the wheels on the Collectors edition though!

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
Plus you get the only C3 with an opening rear hatch.
My 1981 has similar electronics controlling the timing and fueling but using a carb (with wires attached) not injection, ive no idea what kind of electrickery and witchcraft goes on inside the carb. The Californian version in 1980 was the same.
It doesnt worry me too much, touch wood, fingers crossed etc but should it concern you?.. i dont know.

Andy J

CCCUK Member
Yes, the rear hatch is a bonus!
I mean if the electronics go wrong where would you start! Whereas the carbed engines share much across many model years but this is a one year only thing and im not sure how much was carried across to the 84 C4. Im very aware that anything that is "one year only" can cause headaches when it comes to spares, more so when its a 40 year old car never officially imported!
That said they made a similar amount of collectors editions as they did 78 pace cars and ive not heard of any issues with model specific stuff for that!
I guess i need to see the car when it lands next month, see the paperwork and get a feel for the seller. Seems a bit strange that a firm called Midland Mustangs are bringing in a C3?

BBennett

CCCUK Member
The important thing to consider with the collectors C3 is the condition of ALL the various sensors. In particular the 02 sensor in the exhaust. These don't last forever. Any doubts replace it. They are still available.The MAP sensor is another important one and the condition of its vacuum pipe to it. Any air leaks here will make the engine run very rich and it will not idle. In my experience the ECU should be ok. Maybe I have been lucky! There are UK companies which can troubleshoot snags with them. If the car has been looked after then wiring problems should be very few. Heater and headlight controls rely on very crude mechanical switching but these do work if treated well. A big problem I had when I first got my car was the engine cutting out in roundabouts and sharp turns. This can happen when you have low fuel levels in the tank. The tank has no baffles in it and in a turn the fuel will move away from the pump inlet 9 (the pump and sender unit is combined assembly and is in the tank) and two seconds later the engine will cut. A very annoying problem and potentially dangerous as people behind don't expect you to suddenly slow down. The solution is the swirl pot idea favoured by the racing community.
All the extras that the Collectors have are great, the lifting tail gate is very good but the gas struts can loose their power over time and won't support the very heavy glass. Brakes are OK but if you don't use the car often the seals can relax in the calipers and fluid can leak out. Wilwood make a replacement caliper which is much lighter and with better seals. Happy motoring.

kentvette

CCCUK Member
As Ross says, if it ain't broke...... A few chaps here have the late C3s and have run them with no issues.

The Collectors Edition does have a few unique details and it would be good to check everything works and all the specific items are in place and doing what they are supposed to. And, the condition of the interior is important, replacement is pricey.

You've no doubt read the CCCUK C3 Buyers Guide? Everything in that applies to the '82!

And finally, how many times have I wished I had an opening rear hatch when I've been loading up for a trip!

Andy J

CCCUK Member
If it ain't broke (and still functions OK) don't try and fix it?
Im not going to try and fix what aint broke but if it does how easy will it be to fix or source parts for a 40 year old ECU? To put it into perspective its the same era as the Sinclair ZX81! Theres probably more computing power in a Ring doorbell than in a 40 year old ECU!

Andy J

CCCUK Member
The important thing to consider with the collectors C3 is the condition of ALL the various sensors. In particular the 02 sensor in the exhaust. These don't last forever. Any doubts replace it. They are still available.The MAP sensor is another important one and the condition of its vacuum pipe to it. Any air leaks here will make the engine run very rich and it will not idle. In my experience the ECU should be ok. Maybe I have been lucky! There are UK companies which can troubleshoot snags with them. If the car has been looked after then wiring problems should be very few. Heater and headlight controls rely on very crude mechanical switching but these do work if treated well. A big problem I had when I first got my car was the engine cutting out in roundabouts and sharp turns. This can happen when you have low fuel levels in the tank. The tank has no baffles in it and in a turn the fuel will move away from the pump inlet 9 (the pump and sender unit is combined assembly and is in the tank) and two seconds later the engine will cut. A very annoying problem and potentially dangerous as people behind don't expect you to suddenly slow down. The solution is the swirl pot idea favoured by the racing community.
All the extras that the Collectors have are great, the lifting tail gate is very good but the gas struts can loose their power over time and won't support the very heavy glass. Brakes are OK but if you don't use the car often the seals can relax in the calipers and fluid can leak out. Wilwood make a replacement caliper which is much lighter and with better seals. Happy motoring.
Its good to know the sensors are still available, this makes things much more straightforward. Are they particularly expensive or are they on par with any other sensor available today?