A Mechanic new to Corvettes is making a series of videos

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Interesting. He clearly has a lot to learn, but as he is an MOT tester I guess he has an idea of what he is doing. I don't like his rear jacking point - it needs to be out on the side frame rail. And he'll need to do a lot of reading about alignment! But, I'll be interested to see how it all goes. Let's hope he buys a copy of the AIM very soon, but at least he gave Corvette Kingdom a shout - so much experience there!

curious bystander

CCCUK Member
Glad you spotted this Mike and thanks for posting. I've now watched his first four videos and have to say it's looking like some useful info.

kentvette

CCCUK Member
I've watched all the videos now. Some interesting stuff in there and in a way, its good to see someone who is a novice with Corvettes dealing with stuff, unlike the "semi-pro" types that we normally see! (As I'm involved in the trailing arm saga at the moment I can say that job is not like the videos I've watched!)

Alex has a relaxed style and makes some good points. Having watched the ball joint films, I'd have gone with Moog ball joints, but that is the sort of knowledge/information that more time with Corvette brings I guess. Overall, good stuff and I'll be interested to see how he progresses.

kentvette

CCCUK Member
I see that Alex has a 5th video out; he's now changing shocks.

Despite his car having a few obvious issues, he was lucky with the replacement of the rear shocks, which almost "fell" off! I remember some years ago going to help a friend to do the same job, only to spend most of the morning trying to free the top mounting bolt! In the end, he used an angle grinder when doing the other side shock!

Alex now has a hiatus while he saves for more parts. Based on the videos, I think the rear suspension should be next on his "to deal with" list. :) Good little videos though.

Roscobbc

Yes, rear shock replacement on mine a couple of years ago was a real bs'tard or a job. Made all the more difficult by the fact that the top bolts had the securing nuts on the outside. This may not seem too odd to most people - but it was impossible to drift-out the bolts to the inside of the vehicle (no room to pull out) - an earlier replacement pair of shocks must have been installed when the body was off at some point. Had to grind the heads off..........