Abandoned C3 project

James Vette

CCCUK Member
It has sat on a driveway not far from me through the winter and apparently long before that with a tarp over half of it. Looks like a body off restoration on the entire front end. Pretty sure it's a '77 but I can't go near the house because of covid... Because the car has been exposed to the elements for so long do you think it will be scrapped? I think the guy is in his 30's but he has three other project cars as well. It looks so small width wise and quite low down in person.

johng

CCCUK Member
Anything is repairable if you spend enough time and/or money on it. Are you looking for a project to work on for the next few years, or a car to drive?

Alben78

Well-known user
If you want a car to drive now then find a reasonably sorted car from a trusted uk supplier. You can then play with it when you’re not driving it and improve / renew bits over time. Whatever you do don’t start a wholesale restoration unless you have time, unlimited funds and a fully stocked tool kit and double garage with plenty of height. I’m sure people will be prepared to let you help out on their projects, if only to lift the body off the chassis. If you want to talk buying then I can personally recommend Gavin Roe at EMC but others may have different recommendations. Hopefully we will be able to have gatherings soon so get alongside to a few and see what may be on offer.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
It has sat on a driveway not far from me through the winter and apparently long before that with a tarp over half of it. Looks like a body off restoration on the entire front end. Pretty sure it's a '77 but I can't go near the house because of covid... Because the car has been exposed to the elements for so long do you think it will be scrapped? I think the guy is in his 30's but he has three other project cars as well. It looks so small width wise and quite low down in person.

Is there a point to this post please ? How can any of us speculate as to whether the car will be scrapped when we have no idea who or what car you are talking about ???

Roscobbc

I could tell you a story about the futility of striking-up what ends-up being a long term friendship with a car 'hoader' (not a Vette, fortunately - but I won't 'coz its boring!) and how all attempts to buy the car (despite promises from the owner) would fail. Some 40 years later the owner dies and his property is sold off and 'levelled' with most of the cars (which were stored in a field) scrapped. The vehicle I wanted that had been stored in a Nissen hut went overseas. On a good note in the interim period I managed to get myself a bit of a 'life', continuing with American cars including my 20 year owned Vette.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Totally agree Roscobb , getting involved with a hoarder of ostensibly ` Junk` cars is a recipe for disaster unless all you want is potentially useful spares . As James has been posting his fantasies about owning a drivable C3 one day , I can`t understand his reason for that post ? :unsure: :rolleyes:

Dazaa

Well-known user
Don't waste your time, no post 72 car will ever be worth the money or time of a frame off resto in the UK. Chances are it's probably rotten if it's been sitting too.

Alben78

Well-known user
Short version of long story. Hoarders never give or sell anything. Relative in USA took me to his friend who has industrial unit of about 6000 sq ft (!) and numerous barns sheds etc. out in the middle of nowhere. All packed with cars and trucks dating from late ‘40s. About 3 project on the go. Asked if he wanted to sell anything with response no, they are all projects waiting to be started. Returned 2 years later, nothing had changed the 3 projects were still WIP and still nothing he wanted to part with.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Know just what you mean Alben . Having done road trips around New Hampshire , Vermont and Maine and also Montana , Utah and Wyoming and there were cars and trucks of all ages cluttering up fields and yards all over the place . At first I got quite interested and stopped to take photos where I could , but after a while it became so common place I decided to admire the scenery instead ! :D

Dazaa

Well-known user
I'm not buying it but I was curious as to why people start projects but never complete them like this guy obvious has.
It’s simple, you buy a car thinking you have the mental capacity to take on all the problems it will throw at you and eventually realise it’s far more than you can deal with. I can’t tell you how many times i’ve wanted to throw the towel in on my project over the last 2 years with all the unexpected problems it’s thrown my way. Everything from incorrect parts arriving from the states to new parts that are total garbage and 50 years of wear, tear and hack jobs inbetween. Somehow i’ve managed.
7D65017D-0134-457E-A6B2-F17365AA3219.jpeg

to this4894BFF4-3110-428B-BCE2-C56B88A0E19E.jpeg

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
That is some transformation Dazza , well done you and 10 out of 10 for tenacity and dedication . (y) Like the wheels too , a bit unusual on a C3 and very similar to the ones I fitted on my `warmed up` Jaguar XJS 3.6 5 speed manual twenty years ago .

Corvette

Well-known user
That must make me an idiosyncrasy then. I currently have 5 1960’s projects and tons of parts but have parts for sale and periodically cars too.

Dazaa

Well-known user
That is some transformation Dazza , well done you and 10 out of 10 for tenacity and dedication . (y) Like the wheels too , a bit unusual on a C3 and very similar to the ones I fitted on my `warmed up` Jaguar XJS 3.6 5 speed manual twenty years ago .

Thank you, the wheels are very rare BBS E50's, magnesium centre 3 piece race wheels, came from BF Goodridge and were used in the development of wide tires. I'll be rebuilding the rears with 17 or possibly 18 inch barrels as finding the right tires in 16" diameter is too difficult here.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
That must make me an idiosyncrasy then. I currently have 5 1960’s projects and tons of parts but have parts for sale and periodically cars too.
Nothing wrong with being idiosyncratic Corvette ! Its the idiots I can`t stand :mad: :LOL: