air conditioning....up in smoke!

Gus

CCCUK regional rep
Hi.....has anyone experienced collapse of air con unit in a c3?

Dramatic noises and plenty of nasty smoke/ heat!!

Gus

Jimbo64

CCCUK Member
Hi.....has anyone experienced collapse of air con unit in a c3?

Dramatic noises and plenty of nasty smoke/ heat!!

Gus
Afraid not Gus, as mine never worked, given there was nothing in the system. Most of it removed, boxed up and awaiting another member arranging collection of it, otherwise I would have offered you any bits needed !

Gus

CCCUK regional rep
Afraid not Gus, as mine never worked, given there was nothing in the system. Most of it removed, boxed up and awaiting another member arranging collection of it, otherwise I would have offered you any bits needed !

Gus

CCCUK regional rep

Gus

CCCUK regional rep
Thanks Jim....

I only bought the car [ a very nice 1974 L48 manual T top ] a few months ago and was surprised/happy that the air-con was working. I think it was switched off when the failure happened, but it gave the Wife and I a real 'wake up' when it started to clatter and smoke poured from under the bonnet!
After rapidly shutting down, letting everything cool down, and cutting the melting air-con belt, we were eventually able to motor away...... feeling rather relieved!
Think I will probably leave it alone rather than repair.....[ unless anyone has a better idea?]

Gus

ps.....timely reminder to always carry a small fire-extinguisher....just in case! [ I had forgotten mine! ]

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Sorry to hear that , sounds well scary :eek: You say that the drive belt was melting , that suggests to me that the aircon compressor had seized and the belt was being forced round pulley wheel which would not be turning . This would generate a lot of friction , heat and smoke off the belt . The clutch that engages drive to the compressor should only engage when aircon is switched on . Other than that drive belt should just spin the compressor pulley over on `no load ` . Not sure about older car systems but there is usually a protection devise built in on air con compressors to prevent the clutch engaging if the stystem has lost all its gas thus preventing the compressor from trying to pump a dry system . The air con gas contains a lubricant that prevents the seals in the system from drying out .
Having said that , aircon on my 1980 C3 has never worked in the 3 years I have owned it and never got round to spending the money to fix it . Being a T top , on warm days the roof is off asap . At least the heater and demister still work :) and yep , I always carry a fire exstinguisher .
Hope you get sorted.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
If it’s just the compressor that’s failed, getting it changed and re-gassed shouldn’t be too expensive.

Gus

CCCUK regional rep
Sorry to hear that , sounds well scary :eek: You say that the drive belt was melting , that suggests to me that the aircon compressor had seized and the belt was being forced round pulley wheel which would not be turning . This would generate a lot of friction , heat and smoke off the belt . The clutch that engages drive to the compressor should only engage when aircon is switched on . Other than that drive belt should just spin the compressor pulley over on `no load ` . Not sure about older car systems but there is usually a protection devise built in on air con compressors to prevent the clutch engaging if the stystem has lost all its gas thus preventing the compressor from trying to pump a dry system . The air con gas contains a lubricant that prevents the seals in the system from drying out .
Having said that , aircon on my 1980 C3 has never worked in the 3 years I have owned it and never got round to spending the money to fix it . Being a T top , on warm days the roof is off asap . At least the heater and demister still work :) and yep , I always carry a fire exstinguisher .
Hope you get sorted.
Hope you get sorted.

Gus

CCCUK regional rep
Hi Chuffer......thanks very much for the info. Having the air-con working was a nice bonus...….and I will get it checked out at some stage, but you are right......I don't live in Arizona...….so might see how things go without it!

Gus

Gus

CCCUK regional rep
Hi Oneball…..do you know if modern, low emission gas causes problems in these old air-con units please?
Gus

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Don’t quote me on this but the new super ozone friendly stuff is only suitable for new vehicles and you use the previous type for everything else. It’s a professional job anyway and they’ll use the correct refrigerant. There’s mobile AC people who will come to your house and do it. Find your local guy and give them a ring.

Gus

CCCUK regional rep
Don’t quote me on this but the new super ozone friendly stuff is only suitable for new vehicles and you use the previous type for everything else. It’s a professional job anyway and they’ll use the correct refrigerant. There’s mobile AC people who will come to your house and do it. Find your local guy and give them a ring.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I would need to look into it further but I vaguely remember reading something in the past about the need to have the system rebuilt with new seals etc to be compatable with the current standards of refrigerant .

Gus

CCCUK regional rep
Hope you get sorted.

Gus

CCCUK regional rep
Chuffer summed it up well

This outfit manufacture and supply the auto air con industry with components, they service my C3 aircon, they even produce an air con system for vintage Rolls Royce

This outfit manufacture and supply the auto air con industry with components, they service my C3 aircon, they even produce an air con system for vintage Rolls Royce