'Alternative' fun transport

Roscobbc

I've always had an interest in aviation, mainly warbirds, light aviation and perhaps more recently ultra-light/microlight aircraft made possible by new materials and lightweight high output engines. Our local unlicensed airfield, Damyns Hall has seen significant growth and activities over the last few years and not having visited since Covid I decided to drop-in and see what is going-on. TBA I would have thought being a saturday afternoon there would have been more activity than a Tiger Moth and a navy blue Piper or Cessna (or similar ex-WW2/Korean type plane) both doing 'bump and grind' circuits. There were a couple of these electric powered composite/carbon fibre/kevlar Pipistrelle aircraft anchored-up, one just finishing a re-charge following a flight before being putting away in a hanger.
Seemingly this is the only electric light aircraft fully certified for flight and flight training in Europe and UK. Flight duration of this Slovakian manufactured plane is 50 minutes (with a 20 minute safety reserve).......so a flight range of perhaps 80 to 100 miles depending on headwind etc. Operating costs are said to be less than £5 to charge the aircraft for the said duration......compared (so they say) with £25 or so for ICE powered equivalent. Interested? yes, so was I untiI looking at the price for one in the UK £170/£200K!!!!.....and there it will remain.....in the 'interesting' box!
1684683525274.jpg.
1684683582592.jpg

Last edited:

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Ye gods , that`s a lot of money !! Does it have a good glide potential like powered sail planes in case the juice runs out ? I think I would rather rely on the Harvard Warbird that I flew last year . Chocks away old chap .:)DSCF2920.JPGDSCF2910.JPG

Roscobbc

It's lighter than its ice powered stablemate and seems to have a very short take off run.......but the video I saw it took off with a 15 mph headwind. Company is set to introduce a 4 seater, longer range version shortly. UK distributor is trying to get UK airfields within 80 mile radius's of each other to install appropriate chargers......only then can longer distances be contemplated. Interesting for the well heeled I guess!

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
It's lighter than its ice powered stablemate and seems to have a very short take off run.......but the video I saw it took off with a 15 mph headwind. Company is set to introduce a 4 seater, longer range version shortly. UK distributor is trying to get UK airfields within 80 mile radius's of each other to install appropriate chargers......only then can longer distances be contemplated. Interesting for the well heeled I guess!
Hedge hopping from one charger point to another sounds like an all new sport to me . :unsure:

Roscobbc

What you need is a C5 Hercules with a big battery pack and a long extension lead following behind !!! 🤣
If you read more about the aircraft, UK agent tells us that the battery capacity is the same as a first generation Nissan Leaf. Given that the aircraft industry and regulatory bodies are very, very conservative in terms of any development that isn't generic (like glass fibre, kevlar and carbob fibre) it indicates to me that the tech' used in this aircraft is probably a few years old now.......one would have perhaps expected to have seen solar cells embedded in the wing structure to 'boost' electrical input.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
If you read more about the aircraft, UK agent tells us that the battery capacity is the same as a first generation Nissan Leaf. Given that the aircraft industry and regulatory bodies are very, very conservative in terms of any development that isn't generic (like glass fibre, kevlar and carbob fibre) it indicates to me that the tech' used in this aircraft is probably a few years old now.......one would have perhaps expected to have seen solar cells embedded in the wing structure to 'boost' electrical input.
"Bandits coming out of the sun" would take on a whole new meaning . :LOL: