Antenna

kentvette

CCCUK Member
What were you supposed/did you do with that huge great piece of flat metal?

I admire your bravery wi all that drilling you are doing! :giggle: :giggle:

luckyrat

Busy user
What were you supposed/did you do with that huge great piece of flat metal?

I admire your bravery wi all that drilling you are doing! :giggle: :giggle:
The antenna cannot be secured without that plate. I’m using all genuine parts were possible, reproduction as an alternative. I had to involve my wife with this operation to hold the antenna base while I poked it through the hole🤪! You can not do it alone....🙄
F8E50770-35AF-4180-B858-41A4D697884F.jpegAFD4B77F-EC8A-4988-BC84-295B7F51DBB1.jpegAttached is from my copy of the 1972 factory assembly manual, a very valuable book.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
It's weird looking at those two rear-end pics of a '71 & '72 and the alarm key switch being different and I'm pretty sure my '71 is slightly different again!

I wonder if they used up left over stock from whatever parts bin?

The flat plate is the reinforcement plate.

luckyrat

Busy user
It's weird looking at those two rear-end pics of a '71 & '72 and the alarm key switch being different and I'm pretty sure my '71 is slightly different again!

I wonder if they used up left over stock from whatever parts bin?

The flat plate is the reinforcement plate.
I think antijam’s 71 has a non standard support plate on the switch?
Attached are 72’s including mine with GM correct oval keys. The gold is a 70/71 same switch?2B8E9906-D7B6-4B7F-BCCB-04A8EE8771A3.jpeg

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Yes a '72 I had recently had the same switch as those above but my yellow one has a lock with an outer ring that doesn't look to be as big as antijam's. If I remember, the alarm was a $40 option later in the '71 run but standard equipment on the '72 run due to a cost saving omitting some fibre optics in '72.

I have the original dealer invoice that lists the extra cost added on for the alarm

Nick B

CCCUK Member
Crazy, but before Luckyrat started this thread I had never noticed these alarm switches on Corvettes before!

Chris Sale

CCCUK Member
This is a late response to luckyrat's post above regarding the antenna plate. I had to replace the antenna cable (between antenna and radio) in my '64 a few years ago. C2s have a similar plate below the antenna and I was curious about its purpose, since it was connected to the chassis by a copper ground strap.

This is what I was told by a good NCRS contact in the US who is something of an electrical guru. Seems that the plate is more than just a reinforcement:

Since the Corvette body is fiberglass, there is no ground plane beneath the antenna mast to define the length of the antenna in signal-reception terms. In high-strength signal areas this is not a problem, but in areas where signal strength is low the radio needs all the help it can get. Having a ground plane at the base of the antenna reinforces the standing wave aspect (don't ask!) of the incoming signal and improves reception quality.

Therefore, a small metal plate was placed below the antenna to act as a ground plane. It is connected to the chassis so that it has an 'earth reference'. This is required because the radio uses the chassis for ground reference back to the battery, and the amplifier in the radio needs the antenna to be working from the same ground reference.

Chris Sale
'64 Coupe

luckyrat

Busy user
This is a late response to luckyrat's post above regarding the antenna plate. I had to replace the antenna cable (between antenna and radio) in my '64 a few years ago. C2s have a similar plate below the antenna and I was curious about its purpose, since it was connected to the chassis by a copper ground strap.

This is what I was told by a good NCRS contact in the US who is something of an electrical guru. Seems that the plate is more than just a reinforcement:

Since the Corvette body is fiberglass, there is no ground plane beneath the antenna mast to define the length of the antenna in signal-reception terms. In high-strength signal areas this is not a problem, but in areas where signal strength is low the radio needs all the help it can get. Having a ground plane at the base of the antenna reinforces the standing wave aspect (don't ask!) of the incoming signal and improves reception quality.

Therefore, a small metal plate was placed below the antenna to act as a ground plane. It is connected to the chassis so that it has an 'earth reference'. This is required because the radio uses the chassis for ground reference back to the battery, and the amplifier in the radio needs the antenna to be working from the same ground reference.

Chris Sale
'64 Coupe
Unfortunately I didn’t have the copper ground strap so that yellow and green cable is something I made up for now.
Attached are where some C3’s had the same alarm switch located, much prefer the location of mine.
Another lockdown project in the morning so I may bore you all with another post! Cheers all....45176EE1-2433-4047-886D-CFBCC4D53FE3.jpegD21E2FE6-42B5-4D17-B0C0-AC73D9E6DFE4.jpeg

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Chris S's response clarifies the antenna base plate thing - much of which I knew from my work days, not to mention CBs. But the photo of LuckyRat's just seem too huge to fit under the body! - clearly a photo-distortion.

The '74 to '77 alarm key switch was on the front left wing, but by '78 it was incorporated into the drivers door lock.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I never knew about the alarm switch either. My 1968 doesn't have one as far as I'm aware. Though I do have an outside key switch behind the driver's seat on the outside "sugar scoop" just beyond the rear window on the upright part. I have no idea what it does.

And Luckyrat - where did you get those numberplates from? I like them and I think I need one saying 1968 Stingray on it too :)

Last edited:

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
The '74 to '77 alarm key switch was on the front left wing, but by '78 it was incorporated into the drivers door lock.
Presume either aesthetics or practical difficulty reasons for moving the key switch after the rear end revamp ‘74 on. You can imagine the discussions about where to reposition it.
Im not keen on its position on the wing on my ‘75 - It detracts from that classic “Stingray” badge and I’ve been asked plenty of times why there’s a door lock on the wing! I’m going to delete it when the opportunity arises.