Any Idea What This Is?

richie500

CCCUK Member
Shift light. I have one on mine (but clamped to the top of steering column)
How long have you been driving that you need a shift light, the scream of the engine should tell you when to shift and if the pistons come thro the top you know your too late :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I seem to remember on the early C4’s with the manual transmission there was a light on the dash to tell you when to upshift.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Even 10 year old Vauxhall Corsa`s have a shift light built into the dash , supposedly to aid economic driving . A friend owns one and I just think it is irritaing . :rolleyes:

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
I seem to remember on the early C4’s with the manual transmission there was a light on the dash to tell you when to upshift.

GM sets at what temps and RPM the shift light comes on the dash
Here is inside a GM calibration
When tuning I change those values as per engine mods or drivers liking

Due to a delay from the PCM to the IPC (dash) controllers and driver,
I set the values a bit lower than what I set the rev limiter so that driver sees the light first and shifts before PCM reacts to the rev limiter setting

shiftlight.jpg

Roscobbc

In an 'old school' high horsepower car without all the modern arty farty traction and yaw controls, accelerating hard in first or second gear - and close to maxium revs and our national speed limit (even maybe approaching 'loose yer license' territory in 2nd and 3rd gear) - 'fighting' for equal traction from each rear wheel with the car having a mind to take you off the road and into the nearest ditch.............with all this happening in the space of just 5 or 6 seconds there are two things you really don't have time to look at the rev counter or the speedo. There is no 'luxury' of a 5000rpm lifter float - so both shift light and rev limiter are perhaps essential kit.speedo view Vette.jpg

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Please excuse my ignorance, but I saw this on a C3 and wondered what it is for? :unsure:
Any ideas?View attachment 15709

Not sure why they would want to mount the RPM shift unit outside with sunlight and windshield wipers having an ill effect
plus being it has adjustments you'd want it in better positioned to driver's line of sight, esp if wearing a race helmet

The one I use come with different RPM pills that easy swap in/out as what RPMs I want the light to trigger on

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
In an 'old school' high horsepower car without all the modern arty farty traction and yaw controls, accelerating hard in first or second gear - and close to maxium revs and our national speed limit (even maybe approaching 'loose yer license' territory in 2nd and 3rd gear) - 'fighting' for equal traction from each rear wheel with the car having a mind to take you off the road and into the nearest ditch.............with all this happening in the space of just 5 or 6 seconds there are two things you really don't have time to look at the rev counter or the speedo. There is no 'luxury' of a 5000rpm lifter float - so both shift light and rev limiter are perhaps essential kit.View attachment 15738

I mount mine higher, so I can be looking straight out and light catches my eyesight without having to look downward,
esp when wearing full face helmet that limits downward head movement

Rebelrevl.jpg

Vetman

CCCUK Member
I have taken a different approach with my automatic. I have a Green ‘go light’ that comes on with WOT.

Roscobbc

TBH I never remove the yellow 'dimming' cover for the inevitable bright 'flash' - and yes its mounted lower than ideal.......but I hate anything in my forward line of sight. Max HP on mine is at 6200 rpm - shift light pill is 6000 rpm......so by the time the light 'flashes' and my brain recognises and instructs my arm to shift gear......hopefully that should be before the teltale but,but,but,but from the exhaust on the limiter.