Anyone got different toys ?

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I do love seeing the innards of a steam loco. Wonderful machines. :cool:
I can bore you with loads more pics as we pull the rest of it apart if you like ? :LOL:
Here we are gas cutting the ashpan off from the bottom of the firebox to allow the boiler to be sat on the ground . The hinged flaps at the bottom of both of the hoppers are opened by levers from the cab to control the amount of primary air drawn in under the grate to control combustion . They are also opened to enable all the ash to be raked out when the loco is over a pit to clean the firebox out . A filthy and unpleasant job , believe me as done it many many ties .:rolleyes:DSCF2777.JPG

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I can bore you with loads more pics as we pull the rest of it apart if you like ? :LOL:
I can assure you, it would not bore me. Granted I have no skills when it comes to steam locos, but they fascinate me a lot and seeing their innards is interesting as it helps explain how they work. Always been fascinated by how mechanical things work, despite not being particularly handy at these things.

Roscobbc

I can assure you, it would not bore me. Granted I have no skills when it comes to steam locos, but they fascinate me a lot and seeing their innards is interesting as it helps explain how they work. Always been fascinated by how mechanical things work, despite not being particularly handy at these things.
Chuffer - you are welcome to do a blow by blow story of the strip down. As Capt infers there'll be interest I'm sure.....perhaps best to start-up as a new thread?

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Chuffer - you are welcome to do a blow by blow story of the strip down. As Capt infers there'll be interest I'm sure.....perhaps best to start-up as a new thread?
Hi Ross , more than happy if you think there is interest . It might be long and drawn out as I recon about two years with Sir Lamiel providing things go to plan , and that`s not to mention 45305`s boiler to come off as soon we can , plus putting 70013 Oliver Cromwell back together once the boiler comes back from repair at Tyseley Locomotive Works in Birmingham . It should have gone last year but the big C got in they way and delayed progress . It went off on a heavy haulage truck Wednesday morning just in time to make space for taking Sir Lamiels boiler off . That will eventually go to Tyseley too for major boiler work and re- tubing . That`ll be about £35K ish . :eek: It`s like a production line at present with boilers all over the place ! The Big Toy Box is cluttered with bits of toys at the moment . :(
I actually have a folder I created on a 9 year loco rebuild that I was a Project Co-Ordinator on that started in 2000 on the Severn Valley Railway DSCF2760.JPG. Unfortunately that was in my pre digital era so its all colour photos of the whole process . I could maybe try scanning them all and serialise that .:unsure:

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I have just spent another day getting down and dirty and very smelly in the Big Toys box now that the dismantling of `Sir Lamiel` can proceed apace after the boiler removal in my last post . I will start a new thread for those of you interested in the innerds of steam locos and how they work as you suggeted Ross . Being Armistice day today it was quite eery and moving when the loco workshops fell silent at 11 am for two minutes after the cacophany of needling gunning , angle grinding and hammering in boilers . My mate and I were deep inside the innerds of the loco when we stood in silence and it was interesting to reflect that the first locos of the `King Arthur ` class were built for the London & South Western Railway in 1918 and would have been actively involved in hauling troop trains to and from the south coast ports as well as hospital trains bringing injured troops home . Number 777 `Sir lamiel ` was constructed at the North British Locomotive Works in Glasgow only 7 years after the end of WW1 . The grand old knight is getting on a bit ! A total of 54 of this class of locos were built and all would have been pressed into hard service in the South of England throughout WW2 as well . Look out for the new thread starting soon . :)