Anyone Imported A Modified Corvette?

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
Can anyone tell me what potential issues I'd face with importing / registering a modified C6/C7 in to the UK.

Engine / suspension / body kit mods etc

I seem to recall reading in the past it can / does complicate things, but now can't find the article.

Hoping someone can help? πŸ€”

Corvette

Well-known user
Any body mods and exhaust tips need to have a certain size rounded edge, tyres size can affect speedo. Mechanicals you will need as standard as poss, non standard exhaust and induction car may fail Iva emissions. IVA is only for a car under 10 years old so a lot of C6 just need an Mot. if you don’t scare easily read up on hotrod forums.

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
Any body mods and exhaust tips need to have a certain size rounded edge, tyres size can affect speedo. Mechanicals you will need as standard as poss, non standard exhaust and induction car may fail Iva emissions. IVA is only for a car under 10 years old so a lot of C6 just need an Mot. if you don’t scare easily read up on hotrod forums.
Wow, thank you.
I didnt know it was only 10 years on the IVA, so to that end, it changes things as I'm looking at 2011 / 2012 to come over this year or next, so would fall into the 'IVA not required'. πŸ™πŸ˜Ž

So on that basis, where does that leave me on stock things to have changed for the MOT?
Brake lights & indicators I assume, anything else? What's the score on emmisions? πŸ€”

On the modified end, could it have a body kit, supercharger, different wheels etc as it's 10+ years old C6?

Thanks again. πŸ‘

Corvette

Well-known user
For the mot it’s just got to present as a UK car meaning orange lens, non flashing brake lights and front side lights and rear fog light. Not sure if side repeaters are an mot requirement you will have to check. Super chargers and aftermarket exhausts etc are fine as long as not too loud and normal mot emissions. Every area has a friendly mot guy and a strict mot guy. Choose wisely.

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
For the mot it’s just got to present as a UK car meaning orange lens, non flashing brake lights and front side lights and rear fog light. Not sure if side repeaters are an mot requirement you will have to check. Super chargers and aftermarket exhausts etc are fine as long as not too loud and normal mot emissions. Every area has a friendly mot guy and a strict mot guy. Choose wisely.
Appreciate the information. Thank you. πŸ‘πŸ˜Ž
Only ever imported a 6 month old C6 Z51, so a few rules clearly don't now apply or have changed.

Eurovettes

Supporting vendor
over 10years ol mOT only, under 10 IVA and Mot.
On C6 the light conversion is easy (ish) with rear export harness and export lenses - but you need a Tech2 (got one) to tell the car its non USA to make the indicators flash correctly - I have done a few of these conversion - I can also help with importing as I am California based often nowadays buzz me an email I can advise keef@eurovettes.com

Custom exotics

Well-known user
We just brought if a c6 modified to a supposed 800bhp (turns out maybe not ) absolutely no issues with registering as over 10 yrs the more likely issues you will have is not knowing what the hell is going on under hood we have had a whole can of worms with the c6 . Most Americans will just feed you a complete load of rubbish about what has Been done Best advice I can give you is do not by one with a modded engine ! Body , suspension mods fine but do the engine yourself once here that way you know what your putting on it and it's done properly . We have currently replaced rockers, Rocker pedestals, pulleys, injectors, methanol injection valves and still not running right looks like fuel pump is next now !!!!!