Anyone Using Esso's Synergy Supreme+ 99?

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
Having moved to a new location with more than my previous only fuel option, I came across the Esso's new Synergy Supreme+ 99 and wondered what people's thoughts were on this or any other higher Ron fuels in their Corvette? 🤔

Roscobbc

Its 'on my list' for next fill-up in mine. Annoyingly whilst we have 3 or 4 Texaco and a couple of BP filling stations the two Esso ones are further afield and inconvenient.

Last edited:

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I've just moved out into the sticks. I used to use Tesco (whatever its called) top 100 RON one, or the BP garage nearby and its super unleaded. Not used ESSO Supreme 99+ yet. But out in the sticks now, there are only local petrol stations and I haven't checked yet if they even have a super unleaded. If they don't then its an 8 mile journey to the BP Garage to fill up. What a shame having to drive my Corvette.... :D

Roscobbc

I've just moved out into the sticks. I used to use Tesco (whatever its called) top 100 RON one, or the BP garage nearby and its super unleaded. Not used ESSO Supreme 99+ yet. But out in the sticks now, there are only local petrol stations and I haven't checked yet if they even have a super unleaded. If they don't then its an 8 mile journey to the BP Garage to fill up. What a shame having to drive my Corvette.... :D
Now there we are - a genuine reason for having to 'go out of your way' for fuel!:rolleyes:

Redlevel

Well-known user
Corvettes arent fussy.. Any petrol will do, although I was told that Shell, BP etc put useful cleaning additives in at the refinery whereas supermarkets dont.
No idea whether this is true or not. All petrol near me contains 5% ethanol too.
Filling up for me is a 30mile round trip without any detours. 👍

Roscobbc

Fact - and proven. Texaco VPower Super Unleaded 'does' produce additional power. When my engine was built I was shown comparitive dyno sheets using 'oridinary' 4 star unleaded and Vpower. It did produce on average an additional 1% - 2% more power. Not much you may think (and probabably not worth the expense for perhaps 'cooking' spec' engines) but on 1500+ hp blown race engines potentially the difference between winning and loosing.
Its not just that - supermarket fuel - fuel from perhaps remote filling stations has history of poor storage management and ussues wit water contamination etc.
From a personal perspective when my then new engine was first installed and 'fresh' I was told only to use VPower. On the one occasion that I was close to running out (and the local Texaco garage was 'out' of Vpower) I used 4 star - and the results were not very good. It wouldn't idle properly, it was attemping to pink off-idle, it was 'running-on' when switching-off. This was with only a 10.5 comp ratio. Several years and a few thousand miles-on would it still be an issue? don't know? don't want to take the chance tbh......:eek:

v8lee

CCCUK Member
Well I just filled the tank up with Esso Synergy Supreme+ 99. Apparently it contains just 1% Ethanol.. so should be kinder to all those rubber fuel lines and bits inside the carb...at least prolong there life a bit fingers x

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
Well I just filled the tank up with Esso Synergy Supreme+ 99. Apparently it contains just 1% Ethanol.. so should be kinder to all those rubber fuel lines and bits inside the carb...at least prolong there life a bit fingers x
Will be interested to hear if you feel there is any improvement / gain?

SESH

CCCUK Member
According to Esso, in most regions, the Supreme 98/99 doesn't currently contain any Ethanol. So that's my preferred option.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
You`re damned lucky living near an Esso station . I would have to use half a tank of gas to get to my nearest one :mad:

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I use super unleaded in mine because I don't use the Vette often, so may as well have the best. That and apparently older Vettes have higher compression than later ones so I figured the Super would help too.
I also read somewhere that the 5% requirement of ethanol is only mandatory currently for NORMAL unleaded. Its not mandatory for super unleaded fuels. So despite the label on the pump saying "E5" for super unleaded, in reality that is "up to 5% ethanol depending on the manufacturer of the super unleaded". Hence ESSO made a statement somewhere saying that despite their super unleaded saying "E5" on it, apart from in Devon and Cornwall, their super unleaded contains ZERO ethanol.

Redlevel

Well-known user
[QUOTE="CaptainK, post:
Hence
..apart from in Devon and Cornwall, their super unleaded contains ZERO ethanol.
[/QUOTE]
..and Scotland.
I'm a 30mile round trip get any petrol, unless I settle for Jet which is a 20mile trip.