Auction now for this 1967

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
This car has the rare JA Code L71 427/435 horsepower solid lifter cam tri power engine (originally a $437.10 option chosen by just 3,754 of the 22,940 owners that year), connected to a numbers-matching four-speed M21 close ratio manual transmission with the original 4:11 Positraction rear end. The L71, on paper, was rated at the highest horsepower out of the four 427 engines available, though the ultra-rare L88 is believed to have been inaccurately lower rated by Chevy at 430 horsepower for insurance reasons.
Originally built at the St. Louis plant on Jan. 18, 1967 and delivered to Warren Biggs Chevrolet in Los Angeles, this car was purchased by Walter Wojay of Illinois from original owner Gerald F. Richter on Feb. 12, 1971 for just $2,675, according to the bill of sale that is just one of many documents that will be going to a new owner in a few days.

67 auction

67a.jpg

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Just read the auction notes, car was originally silver pearl.
Looking at its reserve metre, I would say the reserve is 140k. It’s now at 45k and is about a third along, so I think 140k is close. Could be more.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Both nice looking cars
I do like the auction reserve meter, you can see how far off the reserve the current bid is. You can roughly work out what the reserve price is.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Please explain what the reserve is all about ?
Is that the maximum the car can be sold at ?

Thanks
The reserve is the minimum amount the car will sell for. It’s set by the seller, and usually remains a secret until it’s reached .
This particular auction shows a reserve scale, and shows the current bid in relation to the reserve. Looking at the scale and seeing how far along it is, gives you an idea as to its reserve.
On this car the current bid is showing at 70k, and that bid is just under half the reserve scale, from which I’ve estimated the reserve to be 140k
Hope this explains my thinking.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Barrett-Jackson auctions are famous for “the No reserve auction” buyers can’t set a reserve ( no minimum sale price) so it sells for the final bid.
No buying your own car back either, of course there are ways round that.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Thanks Nassau65
I understand now

Sounds like a gamble for both seller and buyer
Seller spends the time and money to auction house and if reserve is not met they blew that money
and the buyer not seeing the car in depth first hand could win the bid and end up with something worth far less
or car made to look good but junk else wise
What happens is if the car is really a phony and not worth 50% of the reserve buyer paid ?

In the other side with no reserve then even bigger gamble as if car is worth $140 grand but top bit is only $70K
seller gets screwed over big time

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
It can be a gamble yes, but from a sellers point of view, he can set his reserve ( at most auctions) so he’s happy.
The auction house is the winner. Sellers entry fee, seller commission payable on sale anything from 10-15% of the hammer price. Buyers fee 10-15% of the hammer price.
They coin it in, in auctions all over the world.
Some are now lowering their fees a little for the sellers, but not the buyers.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
This car has the rare JA Code L71 427/435 horsepower solid lifter cam tri power engine (originally a $437.10 option chosen by just 3,754 of the 22,940 owners that year), connected to a numbers-matching four-speed M21 close ratio manual transmission with the original 4:11 Positraction rear end. The L71, on paper, was rated at the highest horsepower out of the four 427 engines available, though the ultra-rare L88 is believed to have been inaccurately lower rated by Chevy at 430 horsepower for insurance reasons.
Originally built at the St. Louis plant on Jan. 18, 1967 and delivered to Warren Biggs Chevrolet in Los Angeles, this car was purchased by Walter Wojay of Illinois from original owner Gerald F. Richter on Feb. 12, 1971 for just $2,675, according to the bill of sale that is just one of many documents that will be going to a new owner in a few days.

67 auction

View attachment 16310
It’s up to 91k reserve gauge is over half way along.

James Vette

CCCUK Member
71 or repaint? In 70 the louvers only had chrome showing on the horizontal edges. Maybe later year 70 they changed to 71 style.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor

Nassau65 and others​

It’s that time of year for Freije Auctioneers as they are preparing to hold their annual Spring Big Boy Toy sale in Clayton, Indiana, and you’re invited!
The sale is scheduled for April 23 with the auction beginning at 10:00 am.
Over 150 cars and tons of automobilia are being offered.
If you can’t be there in person, you can still bid online. For details and to register to bid, click here!

The auction inspection period is open Monday through Friday next week, and then the auction kicks off Saturday morning.
Click here to view the online catalog.

I see there are older Corvettes like 1961 and 65 C2s (but also other nameplates), old signs, parts for old vehicles , license plates, etc

Ton of new parts but were built for all the oldies but also used parts like if wanting to Tri-Power

3duces.jpg

Since Graham is looking to put together a Corvette collection, I think he should bid on this Vette being auctioned :)

c2t.jpg

Last edited:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Red and Medium saddle the perfect combo for any car let alone the coolest on the planet
She sold for $48k USD plus 10% buyers premium, so it’s $52800, which at $1.30 to £ is £40.5k
All it really needs is some white lettered tires, then it will really pop.
C5E46A7A-4A56-4561-8567-663ADBBAC43E.jpeg

Last edited: