Auto electrician

Budgie

CCCUK Member
Hi does anyone know of a good mobile auto electrician in the chesterfield area who knows what he's doing on a c3 corvette,,cheers

Budgie

CCCUK Member
My c3 is a restomod,has a DeWitt's radiator with twin spall electric fans,,the temp gauge read 240 f the other day,,but it wasn't boiling over?,however I didn't hear the fans kicking in,,strange,,

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
My c3 is a restomod,has a DeWitt's radiator with twin spall electric fans,,the temp gauge read 240 f the other day,,but it wasn't boiling over?,however I didn't hear the fans kicking in,,strange,,
Water should be boiling at 240 - if not boiling and a faulty reading could be the Water Temp Gauge with an earth issue - depending what you are running the Fans via the Temp Sender should cut in about 190 to keep the temp below the 200

Budgie

CCCUK Member
The water wasn't boiling so yeh could be the gauge,,all the gauges are auto comp with the red dials,,the temp sender is mechanical I think as the temp reading stays on for a while after ignition switched off

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Try replacing the temperature sender in the block first . It is an easy fix to get at and they are not expensive . Even if it is not the cause of your problem you will at least have have a new sender that will last . I replaced mine after first getting my C3 due to `iffy` readings on the temp gauge rather than start pulling the facia apart or looking for electrical that may not exist . New sensor , no problems ! :D

Budgie

CCCUK Member
Thanks will look into that,,as I said in previous posts. It was reading 240 f,,,?? At that it would have been boiling,but it wasn't

Oneball

CCCUK Member
You say it measures the temp even when off so if it’s a capillary type gauge then an auto electrician won’t help.

See if you can find the sender, either in the block or by the thermostat and post a pic.

Budgie

CCCUK Member
Yeh it must be capillary type,but other issue is I need to find out if the two spall electric radiator fans are working correctly,,,I'm no electrician,,ps I'm sure the sender is next to the thermostat,,will look in the morning

Custom exotics

Well-known user
Should be some form of thermostatic controller for the fans ie copper wire into 1 of the main rad pipes back to controller box normally a box with a temp adjuster knob near rad associated wiring back to battery and ign etc . Also make sure if you do replace temp sender that it's a matched item to your aftermarket gauge as not all sensors work on the same ohm range

Budgie

CCCUK Member
Thanks for that,,I've been trying to contact a auto electrician in Ripley I have used in the past when I had my xjs celebration.the guy mostly works on vintage/classic motors

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Thanks for that,,I've been trying to contact a auto electrician in Ripley I have used in the past when I had my xjs celebration.the guy mostly works on vintage/classic motors
Oooh ! an XJS Celebration , very nice . I had an XJS 3.6 manual in stage one tune circa 280 bhp . A joy to drive and sounded awesome on the over run . :D

Budgie

CCCUK Member
Great cars had a few xj6 first was a 71 4.2,,wish still had it,,had a V12, 5.3 xjs too,mpg no better than the corvette,you needed a petrol tanker to follow you,lol,sold my celebration just before prices skyrocketed,,but you win some lose some

Vetman

CCCUK Member
A pressurised cooling system will boil at a higher temperature. 15psi is worth another 45 deg F.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Great cars had a few xj6 first was a 71 4.2,,wish still had it,,had a V12, 5.3 xjs too,mpg no better than the corvette,you needed a petrol tanker to follow you,lol,sold my celebration just before prices skyrocketed,,but you win some lose some
The silky smooth Jaguar V12 is a work of engineering excellence in my book . I had an XKR too and as you say , the values of good condition low mileage Jags has really shot up . If only we knew ! :cry:

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
A pressurised cooling system will boil at a higher temperature. 15psi is worth another 45 deg F.
Good point - Budgie do you have a sealed system with an expansion tank, or a non sealed system with an overflow pipe allowing for expansion loss, also check the wiring to the sender unit?
How long have you had the current Elec fans / Gauge and Temp Sender items without change?

Generally you can not drive a C3 without overheating, without a fan coming in unless at the correct constant rpm / mph so the heating and cooling via the air rush are in equilibrium

Back to the Gauge and have there been any recent changes ?

Budgie

CCCUK Member
Hi vet man,,I've only had the car two months,it's got DeWitt's rad with twin electric fans,which came with the car,with a capillary water temp gauge,,which was reading 240 f the other day but wasn't boiling over,,not been able to contact the auto electrician i use in Ripley, Derbyshire

Vetman

CCCUK Member
Good luck fixing it. I have the standard fan and shroud on my 75 350. Now has 2 core alloy rad and an oil cooler. 180 deg F thermostat. Air gaps open around the shroud and a deeper air dam. Runs at 200 deg F.
Never had overheating issues before or since the mods mentioned. Nothing useful to tell you about your system.

Budgie

CCCUK Member
Cheers,and thanks for info,,mines a restomod with zz4 350 engine,,a lot been done on it in the past only been in the UK since 2017 was in Texas before that,,sure a auto electrician can sort it

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
If the coolant is mixed with anti-freeze the boiling point will be higher

How about with key on, engine off use like a butane tank and heat block up close to sender and see if fans then come on
Could there be a master coolant fan that needs to be manually turned on or off ?
Or no power or ground to the relay for the fans ?