"Barn Find" '91 C4 ZR1 on Ebay

Llewelyn

Well-known user
Re the Cam sensor you need - Worth speaking to Keith (Beschi) at Eurovettes or Tom Falconer perhaps? Although obviously you have some good contacts & "fans" in the US now. (y)
Thanks - I've spoken to Tom, drawn a blank, I will drop Keith an email also... ! It's a very rare part I think, as far as I know the only option is to use a generic one with a modified connector :sneaky:

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
This outfit in US appears to have one, if its Part# 10137658 you are looking for?:
1992 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 Hatchback 5.7L Chevrolet V8 M/T Engine Camshaft Position Sensor - 10137658 | GM Parts Bin
As you can see, it says in ad "A failed camshaft position sensor will often cause your 1992 Chevrolet Corvette to crank without starting or may cause it to die intermittently. If your check engine light is on as a result, our technicians can diagnose and repair the probe."
Even if they have it, may not ship to UK? Maybe generic one is cheaper option anyway?

Last edited:

Llewelyn

Well-known user
Thia outfit in US appears to have one, if its Part# 10137658 you are looking for?:
1992 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 Hatchback 5.7L Chevrolet V8 M/T Engine Camshaft Position Sensor - 10137658 | GM Parts Bin
As you can see, it says in ad "A failed camshaft position sensor will often cause your 1992 Chevrolet Corvette to crank without starting or may cause it to die intermittently. If your check engine light is on as a result, our technicians can diagnose and repair the probe."
Even if they have it, may not ship to UK? Maybe generic one is cheaper option anyway?
Thanks, that's really helpful! I've emailed them to ask if they have physical stock - I've found in the past that alot of parts suppliers list 100s of items thinking they've got a supplier and it's only when an order is placed that they find out it's NLA.... The actual sensor I need is 10096172 but I think 10137658 would do the same job from what I've read up on. There is a generic one you can use but it needs a sleeve of a very specific diameter and needs to have the connector re-pinned... I'd buy one immediately but the chap who sells them is hard to get hold of!

Llewelyn

Well-known user
As you might have seen (?) says in here that if you use 10137658 instead of 10096172, you also need the "shield" part (whatever that is/does?)
Yep - The shield is just a small metal plate that I think acts as a heat shield due to proximity of the manifold... Looking at it I am sure it could be modified to fit without too much effort!

teamzr1

Supporting vendor

Shame people would spend like $200-300 for a sensor can be bought for $38 US
This has been used for many years as a 3rd party one for ZR-1 LT-5 that just needs the wiring connector added

Llewelyn

Well-known user
Shame people would spend like $200-300 for a sensor can be bought for $38 US
This has been used for many years as a 3rd party one for ZR-1 LT-5 that just needs the wiring connector added

Thanks - I have seen those, as I understand it needs an additional sleeve fitting because it’s not the right diameter? I’m wondering if an o ring at the base of the shaft would work just as well. I might just buy one and see how it fits!

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
My understanding is guys using this CPS when using an O-ring say it is a tight fit but twisting sensor when pushing in and will fit
Should be if need be to make a way to heat shield

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Another great video above from the men in Notts (y). As well as the parts costs, how many hours have the two of you spent on it to date?

Llewelyn

Well-known user
Another great video above from the men in Notts (y). As well as the parts costs, how many hours have the two of you spent on it to date?
Thanks! You’d be surprised… We were trying to work it out but we think a grand total of around 16-18 hours so not much time at all…. sadly we have to fit it in around day jobs so we tend to film and work on the car every Tuesday from 5.30 pm until 9ish. Frustrating!

TimP

CCCUK Member
I enjoyed watching your latest instalment earlier today - really good. I think you got an excellent deal on your car - C4's in general are seriously underestimated at the moment in my view - a '96 Grand Sport with 14K miles on the clock (and the red leather!) went for £20,850 incl buyers premium at auction a week or so ago - it really deserved a lot more.

You have achieved an awful lot in 16-18 hours - nice job! Looking forward to the next edition. (y)

Roscobbc

Thanks! You’d be surprised… We were trying to work it out but we think a grand total of around 16-18 hours so not much time at all…. sadly we have to fit it in around day jobs so we tend to film and work on the car every Tuesday from 5.30 pm until 9ish. Frustrating!
Hi Llewelyn - you asked on your last video what we all thought about the price you paid for the ZR1?. On the basis that you both bought what could still potentially be a financial can of worms I think you have done quite well so far......(and especially considering the amount of time it had be standing AND the fact that it had been stored in the open) I think the price paid was reasonable. However add the cost of parts purchased (and factor-in the likelyhood that most like over an extende period you'd be replacing them anyway as part of running servicing etc) then the total so far is looking good. Depending on your plans with the car (and if you intend it to become a long term 'keeper') given that some specific parts are becoming difficult to source.......perhaps consider buying-in some of these parts as and when they become available on the market and establish USA contacts on specific forums. I seem to recall a few years ago an ex-Lotus engineer who had been envolved with the development of the ZR1 engine was 'toying' with opening a museum in Norfolk dedicated to the ZR1 Corvette.......don't how 'real' that was......someone within the CCCUK should know?

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Too early to say if the total costs so far is good or bad until this ZR-1 proven to function well with some drive cycles
I suggest coolant system is flushed and the correct anti-freeze is used for that radiator design
Being the oil filter mounts on top and upside down, that filter is special as it has a check ball to prevent oil flowing out when parked so
be sure to get the proper one

Power steering, clutch fluids changed along with the rear diff and the ZF tranny
The syncros of it are made of paper and require the makeup of what GM required, using the wrong fluid can be costly
as I know as it cost me $7,000 :-(

My almost new 1994 ZR-1 I got talked into using Red Line tranny fluid and in short order had synco problems
Took to a dealer and found non-approved fluid, so GM voided the warranty and replaced the ZF with a rebuilt one, plus mine as a core
with labor was the $7,000 and car held at dealer for a month so missed doing a major race I was going to do :(

Wonder the state of the clutch disc condition sitting all those years ?

ZR-1 came standard with the FX3 controller auto adjust shocks, I would check that the electric motors mount to the top of shaft of shocks
and is only held on with a thin wire C-clip. Check all 4 to see if clip popped off

Suggest getting under the car and spray all rubber grommets, from sway bar end links, A-Arms, etc, and grease up via zert fittings

Roscobbc

Not Geoff Jeal in Hook Norton Ross?/Someone else?
Inaugural Jeal & Sons Camp LT-5
Not too sure - Just recall when I was doing the editor 'thing' some people were talking about it - tbh I can't remember who......could have been some east anglia guys - just recall that the person had some money behind him and was either lookig for or had potential premises - persons name was kept under wraps and ultimately I never heard any more.