Best Cat makers. Are Eastern OK ?

RumblinRon

CCCUK Member
Replacing the front downpipe on my C4 with a none Cat version but expect to have problems saving the rear cat, it's also 30 years old !
Looking on RockAuto they sell a Eastern oem Cat for half the price of a Maganflow one (the only other brand I can find for oem). Magnaflow always seem expensive but are Eastern a OK "regular" brand ?

theseoldcars

CCCUK Member
What year is it? I got a Walker converter from Summit for my '89 and it bolted up nicely. Cost about £180, excluding shipping and the rest. The AIR tube was slightly different but I'd removed that system, so I just capped it off. :)

Steven Smith

CCCUK Member
Extract from MOT testers manual:
You should reject all vehicles first used on or after 1 September 2002, where original emissions control equipment components are missing, obviously modified or obviously defective.
Do depending on year might not need a cat.
All been removed on my 86, before I owned it, and passed all MOT's.

RumblinRon

CCCUK Member
Extract from MOT testers manual:
You should reject all vehicles first used on or after 1 September 2002, where original emissions control equipment components are missing, obviously modified or obviously defective.
Do depending on year might not need a cat.
All been removed on my 86, before I owned it, and passed all MOT's.
Yes I've removed Cats on older vehicles before, reprogrammed ecu's etc. But I've been warned of bad experiences where removing all the cats has caused engine lights to come on. I want an easy life/don't want to go there ! I know my car is OBD1 so I presume a lack of back pressure (or something) is causing a imbalance that upsets some emissions sensors and the ecu.
Thanks for the info though.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
It really depends on what year the Corvette is as to smog functions and working around taking them off
Best for C4s is 1994-96 as GM changed to a PCM which had a lot more calibration space and all
SMOG functions I can turn off within the tune and also their DTCs
This then prevents the CEL or DTCs from tripping

Pre 1994, GM used an ECM where calibration is burned into a E-prom and has less ability to fake out smog functions
but can be done

1994-96 tuning off emission functions and DTCs

C4smog.jpg

RumblinRon

CCCUK Member
Hi Steven.
Whilst not denying your personal experience, I was warned off by a well known Corvette man who'd had customers experience problems. Mixed results then.
Personally I'm happy to have a Cat and not worry about it, I don't mind having a Cat (after all they clean up the exhaust).
All I need to do is find a good quality brand, nothing fancy.

Last edited:

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
What year/model C4, as that was the time, really screwed up as to CATs,
one CAT, 2 CATs, pre CATs , will really make a difference in the type you require

RumblinRon

CCCUK Member
Yes OK, so if I buy a Eastern Cat is it a decent brand or crappy cheap s**** ? ( as per original post).
Cheers.

Last edited:

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Being in the USA, I never heard of that brand but

All Cats made in the USA must be EPA PRE-OBDII COMPLIANT, have a CARB sticker on it and
must carry a warranty of at least 5 years/50,000 miles, so look at the brand you mention and see if it complies