Best exhaust setup for 1992 C4

Nails84

CCCUK Member
Hi All

Recently picked up my C4 and from what I can tell the exhaust system is totally stock. I am not looking to heavily modify the car but I would like to release a bit more of that V8 soundtrack without making it ridiculous.

What would people recommend?

Thanks
Mike

Steven Smith

CCCUK Member
I have Tri-Y headers, a de-cat and straight through exhaust on my 86 and it sounds awesome. Can't attach a video in here unfortunately.IMG_20220326_103113.jpg

Steven Smith

CCCUK Member
Headers are off the shelf and I believe the exhaust was also. Done before I had the car, if you can weld it's easy enough to make your own exhaust as all the pipework is readily available, you can buy a kit to do it.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
FYI
Just some thoughts on deciding on a new exhaust system
Using this, the design of the photo below as an example which has long tube headers and no CAT is for performance gains and to assure the exhaust system makeup helps pull the exhaust out of the cylinders so that the next firing of cylinders have a good clean charge and no leftover exhaust from last firing which would be a poor charge to cylinders

As example of design used in photo, just assume the collector of header is 3 inches diameter to assure good exhaust flow
But in this example, there is now 6 total inches of diameter of both heads but downstream is merged into like 1 say 2 1/2 pipe
that now dictates the total exhaust flow and creates back pressure which restricts flow and dirty exhaust makeup in the cylinders
this reduces performance than and also will increase carbon buildup in cylinders, valves, sparkplugs

Add the 2 Y connections further hampers exhaust scavenge pulses
Not sure why they did not just do 2 straight pipes or better is installing an X-pipe right after the collectors which will help the exhaust pulses, induce more torque and deepen the exhaust sound

I have Tri-Y headers, a de-cat and straight through exhaust on my 86 and it sounds awesome. Can't attach a video in here unfortunately.View attachment 21894

Last edited:

Steven Smith

CCCUK Member
FYI
Just some thoughts on deciding on a new exhaust system
Using this, the design of the photo below as an example which has long tube headers and no CAT is for performance gains and to assure the exhaust system makeup helps pull the exhaust out of the cylinders so that the next firing of cylinders have a good clean charge and no leftover exhaust from last firing which would be a poor charge to cylinders

As example of design used in photo, just assume the collector of header is 3 inches diameter to assure good exhaust flow
But in this example, there is now 6 total inches of diameter of both heads but downstream is merged into like 1 say 2 1/2 pipe
that now dictates the total exhaust flow and creates back pressure which restricts flow and dirty exhaust makeup in the cylinders
this reduces performance than and also will increase carbon buildup in cylinders, valves, sparkplugs

Add the 2 Y connections further hampers exhaust scavenge pulses
Not sure why they did not just do 2 string pipes or better is installing an X-pipe right after the collectors which will help the exhaust pulses,
induce more torque and deepen the exhaust sound
I am not sure why it was done like that either, unless the decat was an after thought.
I plan to cut out the single pipe and weld in two new ones to replace it