Big capacity cars

Roscobbc

I'm sure we've all been transfixed and amazed about Chuffers legendary exploits driving these huge charismatic steam engines - the sheer variety is fascinating. America is another world when it comes to steam engines......and also so it goes as we know with automobile engines. No doubt some of us have also read about or even seen some of the large capacity (usually ex-aero engined) race cars from the early part of the last century.
I picked up on these interesting cars (Christie 20 litre V4 GP racer) made from scratch in America by John Walter Christie . The first, second and third follow-up models make quite an interesting read about one person determination to follow his dream - if you like that sort of thing.
361579057_2177409532454761_590774610689275029_n.jpg

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Ye gods Ross ! Those cylinders look like they came off of a steam locomotive . I just love how back in those days they worked to a different mantra than Colin Chapman`s Conway Valley Railway.JPG001.JPG " add lightness" and just kept adding cubic inches . :LOL:
As you say , they do things BIG in the States . I came across this monster on the Conway Valley Scenic Railroad in New Hampshire and got chatting with the crew . It dwarfed me and it was only a `small ` shunting loco ( Switcher in USA speak ) Only a few days before I flew out to the States I had been driving 34053 , one of British Railways largest steam locos . It was only about half the height of the switcher .!!

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
That's a fantastic old photo. Funny how there's only one person not wearing a cap, but hopefully he puts his cap on for extra protection while driving that really safe looking machine.

Stingray

CCCUK Member
John Cobb's 24 litre Napier Railton kept at Brooklands is quite a thing.
At Goodwood Revival 2009 they had it running on the circuit. Absolutely astounding to hear. Link below, but doesn't capture the insane racket!

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I was at Brooklands a few years back when they fired it up . My ears are still ringing !!!

Roscobbc

Yes I've seen/heard that too. Interestingly the car does demonstrate the issues of using an engine designed for constant speed use in a road vehicle that by nature has to have a reasonable degree of flexibility and throttleability. Aircraft engines also need control over mixture etc to cover for wildly varying temperatures and altitudes. Still a great car though!