Birdcage inspection before buying

James Vette

CCCUK Member
I know the main parts to look from Youtube but is there any tips I might need? Someone said you need to remove a plate to see the birdcage but I doubt a seller would be happy with that. 😧

johng

CCCUK Member
You definitely need to remove the kick panels, it's only a couple of screws. That will allow you to look for rust around the body mount, also if there are loose bits of rust in there, that suggests rust higher up the A pillar. However, it's easy enough for a seller to hoover up the loose rust before you get there! On my car a large part of the lower outer windshield corner panel had rusted away, but I only found the full extent of this once I'd removed the dash and the windscreen.

antijam

CCCUK Member
Removing the footwell kick panels will give you access to the No.2 body mounts...

1-P1370107.JPG

The panels are easy to remove being secured with single screw up and towards the front however the tread strips may need to be removed as well since they trap the rear of the panel.

The No 2 mounts are at the base of the birdcage 'A' post and serious corrosion here is probably an indicator of further corrosion around the windscreen frame. Some surface corrosion on the mounts is probably inevitable, but what you don't want to see is something like this....

DSCN0305.JPG

If serious, corrosion of the windscreen frame can be seen from the outside through the sides of the screen itself.

James Vette

CCCUK Member
You definitely need to remove the kick panels, it's only a couple of screws. That will allow you to look for rust around the body mount, also if there are loose bits of rust in there, that suggests rust higher up the A pillar. However, it's easy enough for a seller to hoover up the loose rust before you get there! On my car a large part of the lower outer windshield corner panel had rusted away, but I only found the full extent of this once I'd removed the dash and the windscreen.
View attachment 8725
Thanks for this johng!

James Vette

CCCUK Member
Removing the footwell kick panels will give you access to the No.2 body mounts...

View attachment 8726

The panels are easy to remove being secured with single screw up and towards the front however the tread strips may need to be removed as well since they trap the rear of the panel.

The No 2 mounts are at the base of the birdcage 'A' post and serious corrosion here is probably an indicator of further corrosion around the windscreen frame. Some surface corrosion on the mounts is probably inevitable, but what you don't want to see is something like this....

View attachment 8727

If serious, corrosion of the windscreen frame can be seen from the outside through the sides of the screen itself.
Thanks for this antijam!