Bottom end knock

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
South west captain K ? How far south west ?πŸ‘
Barely in the south west now as I'm in Somerset near Taunton. Used to live in Kingsteignton, Devon. My folks live just outside of Hayle, Cornwall. One day when I'm down at my folks I'll invite myself around to yours to re-instate my envy level of your mega build garage for your Corvette :ROFLMAO:

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Barely in the south west now as I'm in Somerset near Taunton. Used to live in Kingsteignton, Devon. My folks live just outside of Hayle, Cornwall. One day when I'm down at my folks I'll invite myself around to yours to re-instate my envy level of your mega build garage for your Corvette :ROFLMAO:
Welcome any time , I will get the hob nobs in πŸ˜πŸ‘

Tam

Regular user
Hi all

Firstly thanks for the help got me back on the road quickly

Engine is in and a few other things were sorted but not I have a huge flat spot when I accelerate hard from standstill

The engine literally dies then fires up again and takes off, it not as fast I expected it to be and the mechanic said the old edelbrok carb needs to be replaced and suggested a new Holley one?

Has anyone else had similar issues that were resolved by fitting a new carb

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Hi all

Engine is in and a few other things were sorted but not I have a huge flat spot when I accelerate hard from standstill

The engine literally dies then fires up again and takes off, it not as fast I expected it to be and the mechanic said the old edelbrok carb needs to be replaced and suggested a new Holley one?

I had the reverse situation . A 750 cfm Holley of unknown age that on the car when I bought it . It was far too big unless you spent all your time a drag strip . It ended up running like a dog and developed a flat spot on take off . I am now running a brand new Edelbrock 600cfm Performer carb and it`s totally transformed it . It`s mated to an Edelbrock Torker 2 inlet manifold .

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Sounds like the accelerator pump in the carb isn’t working properly. Could also be a timing issue but I’d look at the carb first and check the timing is ok.

Roscobbc

Hi all

Tam - firstly you'll need to give us some information. Nothing wrong with an Edlelbrock carb (if working and jetted correctly) - but presumably your new engine is 'hopped up' with a hotter cam etc and as Oneball suggests the accelerator pump probably isn't giving enough of a 'shot' to prevent bogging.
Its quite likely the metering rods will need changing to reflect the new engine tune for general running. Can't help you regarding anything to do with an Edelbrock carb. A vacuum secondary 'performance' Holley 600, 650 or 750 cfm carb should be adequate depending on your engine tune and are renoun for simply bolting on and simply working (but give us engine details to advise)

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
It’s easy to check the accelerator pump - look into the carb and pull the throttle and you should see a strong and continuous squirt of fuel. Without that ”dump” of fuel the engine is getting air but not enough fuel so as you are finding, virtually dies.