Brake’s

Looking to change the disk’s and pads on my 2003 C5 . It’s not for a race car but would like good performance. What are my options ? . I am in the Uk so shipping needs to be considered.
Thanks in advance Pete

Stingray

CCCUK Member
My recollection from >10yrs of C5 ownership is that braking isn't limited so much by brake performance as by "front end dive". If my C5 was braked significantly in anything other than a dead straight line, where the nose would dip evenly, the car would dive onto one front corner and send the handling to hell in a handbasket. If I was looking to enhance the braking I'd want to think about suspension set-up at the same time. For what it's worth I just left my car bog-standard and enjoyed it for what it was.

FIVE RED

CCCUK Member
Bought these some years ago from Amazon although Summit were around the same price. Very pleased with them, great stopping power & don't corrode like some of the 'big name' brands. Amazon shipping from the USA was problematic & took months to get here but Amazon looked after me in the end.
There's another version if you're heavy on your brakes but I'd be surprised if the stopping power is any better than on my 02.
Hope this helps.

C5Steve

CCCUK Member
I have Powerstop on mine I got from Rockauto as a kit, different pads to the ones above I think (Extreme). They work well, are quiet and are a definite upgrade over stock. I actually have a spare set of front rotas as I made a mistake when ordering.

Yellowshark

Well-known user
I use EBC red. Had no issues and don't need to buy from America
Ditto me too along with their rotors; been using them for 18 years on the C5. I also upgraded to Z51 spec., including using the C6 Z06 shock absorbers; lol something which I thought about when ordering the car only to later discover it would have been a lot cheaper ordering as a option rather than susequently ordering all the bits individually

Invetterate

CCCUK Member
Another vote for EBC! Had most of the "colours" on my C5 over the years. Currently on Yellow Stuff although I have purchased Blue Stuff for fitting soon. Also have their slotted and dimpled discs and braided hoses. As mentioned above, all available in the UK. Would also concur re Z51 sway/anti-roll bars. Fit Bilstein B6s and Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres to complete the job. All night and day compared to stock. Have fun!

Nickeh

Regular user
Ditto me too along with their rotors; been using them for 18 years on the C5. I also upgraded to Z51 spec., including using the C6 Z06 shock absorbers; lol something which I thought about when ordering the car only to later discover it would have been a lot cheaper ordering as a option rather than susequently ordering all the bits individually
Did the shocks make much improvement? Mines currently in the garage having it done along with with moog end links. Desperately miss it. Ha

Yellowshark

Well-known user
Well the Z51spec comprises change to the leaf springs, the sway bars and the shocks. To isolate one unit and say it did this is beyond my capability. All I can say is that the combination made an extremely noticable difference. Sharper on turn in and to me to me keeps a tighter line, Cannot comment on putting the power down as due to an accident I had in the car, I have a mental block about putting the power down aggresively until the wheels are pointing straight foward