Brake Caliper Mounting Bolts - What Socket (1970 C3)

Paul Benton

CCCUK Member
Can anyone help, I want to remove and re-paint the brake calipers: can anyone recommend the best socket to use on the mounting bolts as there is not a lot of space around the bolt heads, and I do not want to risk rounding them off.
Also is this best done with an impact driver?
Any tips welcome

Kind regards
Paul

Oneball

CCCUK Member
I’d use a spanner, if they’re really stubborn you can use another spanner or mallet in conjunction with the spanner.

Not sure about the size but can look tomorrow for you.

Alben78

Well-known user
Yep 5/8 but use a good quality six sided socket and a long breaker bar. They are very tight and need a good grip to remove. A 12 sided socket risks rounding off the bolt head and you really don’t want to do that. I never had any access problems but I do have a swivel head 18in breaker bar.

Paul Benton

CCCUK Member
No Problem, there are so many differently types.

One other question guys is once off the car what size socket for the larger bolts that hold the callipers together, and is it the same breaker bar and socket or a power wrench approach.
Is it easier to loosen these when on the car as they are quite tight or take callipers off first?

Never done this job before as usually get the garage to change pads when needed, but lots of time now as working from home, and its always easier to ask first!

Regards
Paul

Braeburn 22

CCCUK Member
Whilst I currently have a C4, I had a 70 C3 for many years, never had to remove the calipers to change the pads, the only reason to remove the caliper and split them would be to change the pistons and seals, splitting the calipers always has the potential to leave you with leaks, the clips to hold the pistons back in the callipers are a really good purchase and make the job much easier.

Paul Benton

CCCUK Member
Not rusty so will try first with ring spanners as the callipers were removed for new liners a few years ago by my garage I use, so although probably tightened with a power wrench, the car never goes out in the wet and low mileage each year, so should be not that difficult to remove the bolts. The purpose of removing them is for painting the callipers and while I am at it, its not worth the risk so I will replace the seals with new ones to avoid any leaks damaging the new painted surfaces. Good tip to get the clamps as they are really very cheap on amazon at £10.

Has anyone painted these if so any tips on the best paints bearing in mind how exposed they are and the possibility of some brake fluid reaching them at some time?

Kind regards
Paul

Alben78

Well-known user
You will never get enough force on a ring spanner to split the caliper, again a six sided socket is best together with a breaker bar. I have refurbished many corvette calipers and provided you are careful I have never had a problem with any leakage between the caliper halves. The same is not true of the pistons as unless the bores are nice and clean and kept that way there is the chance that you will damage the seals on assembly. If you are serious then try to get hold of the seal insertion tools which are essentially the SS sleeves which make the job much easier. I have used hammerite in the past which have survived pretty well. The answer is to make sure the calipers are clean and dry, a few minutes in the oven will dry them out nicely once you have given them a good wash in the parts wash, or dishwasher if the OH is out.

Alben78

Well-known user
Never tried to split the calipers on the car but I’m sure it’s possible. I did it on the bench with the caliper held in a vice. Never had a problem, they undo eventually. On re assembly you need to make sure the o ring is correctly located and has been replaced, that’s easier on the bench..

johng

CCCUK Member
Has anyone painted these if so any tips on the best paints bearing in mind how exposed they are and the possibility of some brake fluid reaching them at some time?

Kind regards
Paul
If you're concerned about brake fluid, then I used this on my master cylinder and brake fluid doesn't seem to affect it. I used engine enamel on my calipers because I had some and liked the colour, but brake fluid will take that off if you're not careful.

Eastwood Brake Gray Paint

Paul Benton

CCCUK Member
Thanks everyone, I got the mounting bolts loose using a high quality 5/16th w hex socket that was an exact snug fit and a 15" wrench, it was quite easy really; I was perhaps much more cautious than I needed to be, but always best to be cautious than face a rounded bolt head.

Not had a go at the larger bolts that hold the callipers together yet, may try and just loosen them a little whilst held firmly in place by the mounting bolts as this seems a good move and then remove them fully when callipers are off the car.

Paul

R

Rogueone

Thanks everyone, I got the mounting bolts loose using a high quality 5/16th w hex socket that was an exact snug fit and a 15" wrench, it was quite easy really; I was perhaps much more cautious than I needed to be, but always best to be cautious than face a rounded bolt head.

Not had a go at the larger bolts that hold the callipers together yet, may try and just loosen them a little whilst held firmly in place by the mounting bolts as this seems a good move and then remove them fully when callipers are off the car.

Paul
Bolting Back the halfs together is more difficult with torque settings for the front at 130 ft lbs and the rears at 70 ft lbs

Paul Benton

CCCUK Member
That's useful to know, apart from replacing the seals what's the hard bit about bolting them back together, is it just the amount of torque needed is so high and holding them in a vice difficult.
Would a solution be to tighten them to a reasonable amount attach them using the mounting bolts to hold them in place then torqueing up to these specs??

Alben78

Well-known user
Never had a problem with the torque when held in a decent vice. On the vehicle particularly on the fronts it may potentially damage the caliper carrier brackets?

James Vette

CCCUK Member
Can anyone help, I want to remove and re-paint the brake calipers: can anyone recommend the best socket to use on the mounting bolts as there is not a lot of space around the bolt heads, and I do not want to risk rounding them off.
Also is this best done with an impact driver?
Any tips welcome

Kind regards
Paul
Post a photo of your C3. (y)