Bringing my C7 Z51 Stingray over from the USA

Colin Masterson

CCCUK Member
For many years my wife and I have spent 6 months, over the winter, in Florida. Our main home is in the UK, in South Wales. I bought a Z51 LT2 Stingray new in 2016 and keep it in the USA and belong to a local Corvette Owners Club. I am now thinking about selling our home in Florida next year and bringing the Corvette back with me. I would be grateful to hear from anyone that can give guidance on the regulations, cost, recommended shipping companies and practicalities of bringing a car back from the USA?

I believe one of the main costs, if you have not lived in the USA for a continuous period of 12 months, which I haven't, is VAT on the value of the car at 17.5%. Do you know what is an acceptable form of value by HMRC? I was thinking of either using Parkers or maybe talking my local dealer into giving me a valuation - the lower the better!

Also, are there any changes that need to be made to the car for it to be registered by the DVLA?
Corvette + CM.jpg

Rich

Administrator
Colin, I suggest you contact Nick Roach of ShipMyCar or indeed any company which imports vehicles. They are the experts and can handle everything including getting it ready for registration.

Corvette

Well-known user
You won't pay any import duty or vat as you've owned it for more than 12 months. You need to show original purchase invoice, title and insurance, i was also once asked for utility bills on the house. I use Schumachercargo.

Stingray

CCCUK Member
My Stingray is a US import.
The only changes you need to register your car in UK are,
* Rear red fog lamp, including a switch with tell-tale on the dash. (Remove one reversing lamp and re-wire its socket as fog lamp.)
* Side indicators. (Mine are amber LEDs in the black side strakes near Stingray emblems.)
The wiring of these lamps needs to be done to a professional standard. Just tucking the wires under a carpet is likely to result in a "fail".

If you decide you want the radio frequencies switched over and the Satnav reprogrammed for Europe that can be done by people based in Sweden for about £1,000. Other solutions can be as simple as sticking a TomTom or DAB in the central cubby. Some people just use their smartphone.

My understanding on the VAT position is as set out in your opening post - namely, it would be payable in your situation. As you say, some sort of reliable valuation should be a good starting place.

Colin Masterson

CCCUK Member
You won't pay any import duty or vat as you've owned it for more than 12 months. You need to show original purchase invoice, title and insurance, i was also once asked for utility bills on the house. I use Schumachercargo.
Thanks for the reply. It looks as though, as I do not stay in the US for more that 6 months every year, on a B2 Visa, I will have to pay VAT and Import Duty. I have been told that the VAT and Duty are on the invoice price, but that was three years ago so doesn't make much sense. I'll check this out directly with HMRC

Colin Masterson

CCCUK Member
My Stingray is a US import.
The only changes you need to register your car in UK are,
* Rear red fog lamp, including a switch with tell-tale on the dash. (Remove one reversing lamp and re-wire its socket as fog lamp.)
* Side indicators. (Mine are amber LEDs in the black side strakes near Stingray emblems.)
The wiring of these lamps needs to be done to a professional standard. Just tucking the wires under a carpet is likely to result in a "fail".

If you decide you want the radio frequencies switched over and the Satnav reprogrammed for Europe that can be done by people based in Sweden for about £1,000. Other solutions can be as simple as sticking a TomTom or DAB in the central cubby. Some people just use their smartphone.

My understanding on the VAT position is as set out in your opening post - namely, it would be payable in your situation. As you say, some sort of reliable valuation should be a good starting place.
Thanks for the quick response and the comments on changes required. My Stingray has OnStar SatNav, where you call them up and they download the route to your car, so I don't think I can change that but will resort to Garmin as at present.

UKBeancounter

Committee Member
Colin, unless you were resident in the US for tax purposes and not resident in the UK you will have to pay VAT at 20% on top of the value of the vehicle, plus duty at 10%. So value vehicle, add 10% duty, then work out 20% VAT. The personal import forms for VAT exemption now ask questions regarding residence status following the changes to the income tax resdience rules in the UK. Basically, if you have maintained “available accomodation” in the UK throughout, you can’t import VAT free.

For IVA conversion, I bought Euro spec mirrors with side repeaters from Eckler and LED rear reflectors with fog lamps conversions. This maintains both rear reversing lamps and no ugly fog lamp add on. Work was carried out at Lincolnshire Corvette by properly soldering into the wiring loom and routing all wiring via the factory harness.

Finished job looks “factory standard”. Contact Paul Allen at Lincs Corvette if needed.

Corvette

Well-known user
My post was from experience 2008-2015. Quiet a few of CCCUK members imported on the cheap from my place. I never stayed there more than 6 weeks in any one year and never had the tax problems other members are mentioning. I had to get some bill of sale's notarized the rest is done on trust when the UK side fill out the HMRC forms.
Good luck and you could always store it til we get the US trade deal......