C1 Steering

Rob59C1

Administrator
I bought my 1959 C1 from the US last year from a reputable dealer and had it inspected by a reputable inspector before buying and still it had problems. In fairness the inspector did recommend replacing the cross ply tires with radials. He didn't mention that the steering box was completely worn with no adjustment left. Here is a short video of me driving as it was and as it is now with radials fitted and steering box refurbished.

Patrick

CCCUK Member
Hi Rob - did you buy a refurbished unit or did you have the existing one overhauled? I have exactly the same problem with mine!

Roscobbc

Wonder if a small steering damper attached from frame to steering linkage would help things even more - it needn't spoil originality - a simple bolt-on, removeable unit......just help some of that bump-steer effect?

Rob59C1

Administrator
Hi Rob - did you buy a refurbished unit or did you have the existing one overhauled? I have exactly the same problem with mine!
I had the existing one overhauled. However I suspect the steering wasn't set up perfectly so waiting on new king pins, which are now worn, and try again. I briefly drove another 59 the other day that had been through the same problems and now drives perfectly, so I know it is possible. Watch this space!

Rob59C1

Administrator
Wonder if a small steering damper attached from frame to steering linkage would help things even more - it needn't spoil originality - a simple bolt-on, removeable unit......just help some of that bump-steer effect?
I suspect the steering wasn't set up perfectly after the steering box rebuild, King pins now need to be replaced so waiting on them. I briefly drove another 59 the other day that had been through the same problems, including bump steer, and after steering re-alignment, drives perfectly, so I know it is possible without any additional mods. Watch this space!

Patrick

CCCUK Member
I had the existing one overhauled. However I suspect the steering wasn't set up perfectly so waiting on new king pins, which are now worn, and try again. I briefly drove another 59 the other day that had been through the same problems and now drives perfectly, so I know it is possible. Watch this space!

Where did you have the refurb done Rob?

Rob59C1

Administrator
Awesome car love the colours too...how do you get hold of a workshop manual fo the C1?
Thanks Nas
Afraid I don’t Nas. I do it the easy but expensive way and have someone else do it for me. I don’t have the facilities or skills to do anything serious to it.

Rob59C1

Administrator
Awesome car love the colours too...how do you get hold of a workshop manual fo the C1?
Having said I don’t have a workshop manual I do have the Operations manual which originally came with the C1 which does have some useful info

Rob59C1

Administrator
Hi Nas. If you own a C1 you should consider becoming a full member of the CCCUK. See the “About the CCCUK” and “Membership” headings on this website. I am about to email all website users with a membership update. More benefits and membership reduced to £22.50 for the next 6 months. Rob