C3 1969 DVLA Registration & Insurance

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Couple of queries, apologies if it' been covered elsewhere, I did look.

What value do I put in weight on the V55 (I think it's just left blank but someone said it needed to be completed)

Do I need Road Traffic Act insurance? The guidance note says "Certificate of insurance or cover note (downloaded copies are acceptable, photocopies are not) valid on the date the tax comes into force, for vehicles registered with a Northern Ireland address. "

As I live in England I take it I don't need to RTA insurance

Last edited:

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
My V55 does not record the curb weight . It will depend on spec of your car , be it big block etc. but guess 1500kg wouldn`t be far out . From what you say I guess you don`t need insurance but I am sure one of the guys who have registered their cars recently will chip in soon . Good luck with DVLA , the last statement I heard from the Welsh First Minister was that employees were to frightened to go to work ! :eek:

Corvette

Well-known user
Yes you need normal on road insurance for first registration. You will have to give chassis number to insurance co. Normal classic car restricted mileage is fine. Weight is circa 3500lb so yes 1500-1700kg is fine although I bet you wish yours was only 1000kg for the track :).

Last edited:

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Bump.

Anyone got an answer on the insurance question? As no one will cover it with road insurance as it’s in bits.

Roscobbc

Oneball - simply insure it for what it is - a 40 years old + Corvette it won't need an MOT - that fact you are not going to use it on the road (I'm presuming?) is immaterial surely?

Oneball

CCCUK Member
I’ve tried Reis and Classicline.

The issue seems to be because it’s currently in bits they will only do a storage and transit policy and not a road one.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Oneball - simply insure it for what it is - a 40 years old + Corvette it won't need an MOT - that fact you are not going to use it on the road (I'm presuming?) is immaterial surely?

It’ll get used on the road occasionally, plus if I need insurance to get it registered it needs to be RT act.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I’ve tried Reis and Classicline.

The issue seems to be because it’s currently in bits they will only do a storage and transit policy and not a road one.
If it`s currently in bits why not insure it for storage ? Once you complete it and decide to drive it on public roads your can upgrade the insurance then and tax it . Or am I missing something ?

Oneball

CCCUK Member
If it`s currently in bits why not insure it for storage ? Once you complete it and decide to drive it on public roads your can upgrade the insurance then and tax it . Or am I missing something ?

Trying to get ahead of the game with the DVLA but there’s also the cost:

Road insurance for the Mini, a full race car, is £200 per year. Storage and transit for 3 months on the Corvette is £470. That’s why I have road insurance on the Mini.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Trying to get ahead of the game with the DVLA but there’s also the cost:

Road insurance for the Mini, a full race car, is £200 per year. Storage and transit for 3 months on the Corvette is £470. That’s why I have road insurance on the Mini.
I see , that is a bit steep for only 3 months .

johng

CCCUK Member
Tim, my insurance only cost £100 fully comp and there's nothing in the policy document that says it has to be assembled, although I was able to say it is not modified, that might be a problem for you! Do you actually want road insurance for it, or do you just need something for the DVLA to get it registered?

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Yes, I do want road insurance, it’s not just for DVLA

Although I still don’t know if you actually need insurance to register it.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
To register a car for the first time in the UK, it needs to be insured. Road tax will be issued at the same time. It used to be a painless quick exercise before this Covid pandemic. I’ve read the DVLA HHS’s 500 staff off with it. No idea as to the timescale now in registering a car, will find out soon enough as I will need to register a couple soon.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
To register a car for the first time in the UK, it needs to be insured. Road tax will be issued at the same time. It used to be a painless quick exercise before this Covid pandemic. I’ve read the DVLA HHS’s 500 staff off with it. No idea as to the timescale now in registering a car, will find out soon enough as I will need to register a couple soon.

Thanks that’s what I thought but the guidance note says "Certificate of insurance or cover note (downloaded copies are acceptable, photocopies are not) valid on the date the tax comes into force, for vehicles registered with a Northern Ireland address.” I’m not in NI.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Not sure about the Northern Ireland bit, all I’ve ever done is just fill in all relevant boxes on the form, date from when the road tax is to start from. A downloaded printed copy of the cover note showing the VIN of the car. A MOT if needed along with the correct cheque amount.