C3 1975 Rear lights... no emergency light, and no white retro ones... Solutions?

GiuG

CCCUK Member
Hi there Masters, I found out I have this problem when my Carrie (Vette) left me in the middle of a big crossroad. In panic, I was instinctively looking for the emergency double signal with no luck, and also after, I realized I don't have the white retro lights either!! On C3 are there only this reflective white disk. There is a way to improve this without major works on electric system? Any recommendation on car Electrician can do this "hack" easily.....cheeeers

johng

CCCUK Member
On my 78 the hazard warning switch is on the steering column shown by the red arrow. Not sure if a 75 (it looks like that is what you have) is the same though. I've got reversing lights and they are not too difficult to fit but it does depend on what you have currently. How about sharing a photo of Carrie's rear end!
IMG_20201230_124943 (2).jpg

Oneball

CCCUK Member
My 69 has the hazard switch in the same place as John’s. All C3s had reversing lights I believe. I’ve converted mine to indicators though

GiuG

CCCUK Member
Thank you very much for your "investigation" guys and, I love the nice working in progress picture. Now my car is with the mechanic for major work on... everything :rolleyes:.
Reverse Light, I have the original white reflecting disk around the indicator signal, no live light, I know because I checked the bulbs, "live" are only brakes and indicators ones and nothing switch on when I'm in reverse.
I think there is some problem in the gear lever inside the car, some shorts maybe over there.
I don't recall any switch close on the ignition key, maybe I have only the hole over there...
So the reverse light are the same of the hazardous one, one stay still, the other blink...interesting.
Ok then, I need to investigate more, for sure the 1975 as you said, it supposed to have a knob close to the ignition key.
Thank you again guys, at least I have some direction to dig in, on this mystery. Hope this post help other rookies like me, through the years, specially the Vette Dashboard is the land of personalization and crazy modification, hard to read and to explain sometimes.

Last edited:

GiuG

CCCUK Member
Hi guys, checked the
On my 78 the hazard warning switch is on the steering column shown by the red arrow. Not sure if a 75 (it looks like that is what you have) is the same though. I've got reversing lights and they are not too difficult to fit but it does depend on what you have currently. How about sharing a photo of Carrie's rear end!
View attachment 18554
I checked my car, and over there I have only a hole with no knob, no switch inside, nothing, I can only see the metal pipe of the wheel!!!! I should be worry, it seems to me that I don't have the system for the hazard warning at all!!

GiuG

CCCUK Member
You might just be missing the flasher knob, if so there is one on ebay .

Brand new Corvette 72 - 77 traffic hazard flasher knob | eBay

I believe this attaches to the hazard knob lever which is itself attached to the indicator switch. If this is missing as well then you would need to strip down the steering column to replace it.
I hope was that, no no, believe me, there is nothing in the hole, just bare metal inside... horn is missing as well on the steering wheels, I'll post the photo tomorrow now is too dark outside... this is fu.... unbelievable :) thank anyway... you`re a big help.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Hazard is a requirement in the USA and 1975 had them
There is a difference in a standard (non-adjustable) steering column or TILT / TELESCOPIC

There is a difference in how the hazard warning switch assembles to each.
Here seems to be the proper wiring loom in steering column

Proper wire loom
Look further down that page for the correct one for you C3 makeup

Here is just the knob for hazard switch

Knob

GiuG

CCCUK Member
Hazard is a requirement in the USA and 1975 had them
There is a difference in a standard (non-adjustable) steering column or TILT / TELESCOPIC

There is a difference in how the hazard warning switch assembles to each.
Here seems to be the proper wiring loom in steering column

Proper wire loom
Look further down that page for the correct one for you C3 makeup

Here is just the knob for hazard switch

Knob

Thank you all for these collective investigation....Apparently I don't have the knob, but there is no switch either inside the hole, only a couple of cables :( mistery solved.
1666360220258.png

Last edited:

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
With all those scratches by where that hole is, maybe someone was trying to get into the steering column and broke off that switch ?
Looks like you need to pop the steering wheel off to see what went on by a past owner