C3 Gas Tank Cover

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
Hi, I have the fuel tank out to replace the hoses and sender unit. I have also removed the gas tank cover, a thin fish piece of metal covering the top of the tank. I have done a little research and found the only real reason for this is possibly to contain a possible explosion from finding its way through the fibreglass body into the cabin. It'd have to be a real heavy rear impact to do this. I just cant make my mind up whether to put it back in or not. It will be a lot easier to fit the tank and hoses without it in.Any views??

johng

CCCUK Member
Not sure why, but GM don't seem to have fitted them on later cars. There isn't one on my car and I'm pretty sure no one had removed the tank prior to me, as the build sheet was still there (although not legible)

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
Not sure why, but GM don't seem to have fitted them on later cars. There isn't one on my car and I'm pretty sure no one had removed the tank prior to me, as the build sheet was still there (although not legible)
I think from what I’ve read it was 75-78 they were fitted but I could be wrong 😑 my build sheet was totally illegible too