C3 Ownership

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
Hi There, First time looking at C3s and also on a forum so please any pointers most welcome. Ive been looking and researching C3s now for around 6 months. I have a relatively small budget of around 12k max as im leaving a little for unforeseen which im sure there will be. I have a shortlist of 3 cars at the minute none of which i can see at the minute due to lockdown and travelling etc. Theres a '77. 383 stroker in red with Auto box then a nice black 350 '75 manual both very similar in price. there there's the '73 manual convertible which is a project car a couple of grand less. whilst i love the chrome rear bumper on the '73 im swinging more to the stroker at the moment. has anyone any views on the 383 over the 350. Manual over Auto. I've heard a few say the manual is the way to go and a lot saying its a waste of time unless you upgrade to a 5 or 6 speed. Also do i have to become a member to see any cars for sale on the forum?

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Hi Adtheman and welcome . As Curious bystander said , join the club and I am sure you will get more than £40 worth of very helpful advice and guidance from club members . Both whilst looking to buy and then finally owning one . I have a 1980 C3 and many times I have found help and advice from club members who really know their stuff a great help , not to mention a little a comfort at challenging times too ! Life with C3 as with any 40 plus year old classic ain`t all honey but the ultimate joy is right on the money :D Good luck with the search . Just make sure that the chassis and `bird cage ` are structurally sound and rust free or big bills and body off will follow as sure as eggs . Mechanicals can be fixed but rust will eat your wallet quicker than steelwork :cry:

Roscobbc

383 stroker give lotsa useful extra torque - and therefor 'grunt'. Just be sure the engine has been assembled correctly as there can be quite a few pitfalls otherwise. Nothing wrong with the three speed auto (even better the 4 speed with o/d) IF, IF, IF the engine has been built with a sensible cam that maximises torque rather than revs. Apply same logic to a 4 speed M21 with a sensible rear axle ration and you'll have a nice driveable car. Close ratio 4 speed M21 with the right engine and axle ratio is a wonderful thing........ 70 mph in first gear is a reality....

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
Hi Adetheman
Same answer for all C3s, as Chuffer says priority is the structural integrity (this includes the windscreen frame)
383 as Ross says more grunt, but all depends on the quality of build and the spec of the associated products used to what you are actually getting
Nothing wrong with the standard Auto or Manual Box, most C3s retain the original spec, but you can improve both by changing the box to something with an additional gear or two to reduce the revs at maximum speeds, but that is an added cost.
Often good to buy something that someone else has already spent their money on, to keep it good, but do not be fooled by a respray and new seat covers and door cards - it is what is underneath that counts - The Structural Integrity.
Yes it is good to join the CCCUK - The benefits and knowledge, camaraderie and enjoyment far out way any sub.

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
Hi All, Thank you for your advice so far, its a bit daunting and i have done quite a bit of research online over last 6 months and hopefully know enough not to buy something that i will regret. Ive joined up this afternoon so hopefully will get all the club benefits soon. I look forward to getting to know some of you better over time and hope i can start contributing as well as receiving info. I have a 12k budget to get started and alittle in reserve for just in cases which im sure there will be some.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Welcome, plenty of knowledge on here and I’d recommend taking someone who knows their way around a C3 with you, if you go and look at anything.

I think in the current climate the later C3s are a bit of a bargain as is the C4.

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
Welcome to the CCCUK and to the Fraternity of Vetteheads - which part of the Country are you based? Once Covid is out of the way there should be plenty of Events for you to enjoy, any questions post them here, lots of knowledge via the members, we probably (certainly used to) have more long term C3 Members than the other Marks - I would recommend you possibly get a copy of "The Black Book" - it gives you info on all the years, the differences between models each year, the options available and the numbers produced with those option, also helps with engine numbers etc and identifying engines and breaking down the Vin Number to find out the actual year of manufacture.
Best of Luck.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Welcome to the club Adtheman (y) Once we are set totally free ( if ever :() it will be great to meet up at an event somewhere .

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
Thanks all you've made me feel very welcome. I live in a little village 15 miles south of Norwich on the A11 corridor.Itll certainly wake up our sleepy little village when the beast arrives :).Both the cars I'm interested in are within half hour of each other one in Redditch and the other near Abberley which is a bit of a trek for me. i think initially im going to look as i haven't even seen one in the flesh in quite a while and I've never driven one either i just love the C3 the lines are incredible as are most of the vettes. Ive spoken to Gavin at Swadlincote who was an absolute gem of a guy, he took time out to look at what i was looking at and even called me back and gave me his advice. I would have loved him to look at the cars for me for a fee but i think he has a lot on at the minute. New to the site where would i find any cars for sale by members, i may be a bit green on these forums first time.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Thanks all you've made me feel very welcome. I live in a little village 15 miles south of Norwich on the A11 corridor.Itll certainly wake up our sleepy little village when the beast arrives :).Both the cars I'm interested in are within half hour of each other one in Redditch and the other near Abberley which is a bit of a trek for me. i think initially im going to look as i haven't even seen one in the flesh in quite a while and I've never driven one either i just love the C3 the lines are incredible as are most of the vettes. Ive spoken to Gavin at Swadlincote who was an absolute gem of a guy, he took time out to look at what i was looking at and even called me back and gave me his advice. I would have loved him to look at the cars for me for a fee but i think he has a lot on at the minute. New to the site where would i find any cars for sale by members, i may be a bit green on these forums first time.

Abberley is just up the road from me, once things get a little better I could pop and have a look for you.

Got a link to the ad?

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
Ec
Abberley is just up the road from me, once things get a little better I could pop and have a look for you.

Got a link to the ad?

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
Ec

much appreciated let me know your thoughts, photos look well but i know it can be deceiving

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
383 stroker give lotsa useful extra torque - and therefor 'grunt'. Just be sure the engine has been assembled correctly as there can be quite a few pitfalls otherwise. Nothing wrong with the three speed auto (even better the 4 speed with o/d) IF, IF, IF the engine has been built with a sensible cam that maximises torque rather than revs. Apply same logic to a 4 speed M21 with a sensible rear axle ration and you'll have a nice driveable car. Close ratio 4 speed M21 with the right engine and axle ratio is a wonderful thing........ 70 mph in first gear is a reality....
Used to fast cars but modern fast. Mainly modified Audi 'S' cars which are all well and good but im hoping this will be a completely more entertaining experience

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Oh Boy , you are in for a total culture shock if only used to modern fast cars ! You will discover what driving is really all about , not the totally sanitzed version you get in any modern car :D. Driving a left hooker comes with its own challenges too on our roads but you soon adjust . If the car turns out to be as good as it looks you will be in for a real treat . As other members have said after my previous post on metal worm , a sound chassis and windscreen frame is crucial . One key area which is an Achilles Heel on all C3`s is the point where the base of A pillars meet the top of the chassis rails as they are a real rust trap. They are easily accessed for a visual check by removing the small carpeted kick panels on the side of both footwells . They are only held in place by a couple of self tapping screws and any honest vendor should be happy to take them off for inspection of steelwork inside . This will exposes the bolt heads on the front body mounts to the chassis which are a basicly a rubber doughnut sandwich that insulates the body from the chassis . There are three per side but the others are more difficult to see . Also make sure the headlights go up and down properly as they are vacuum operated when engine is running . Any slight vacuum leaks in the miles of tubing or actuators will play havoc . Not an insermountable problem but all part of the price bargaining . Like wise the operation and self parking of windshield wipers . Wiper motors on C3 is another niggle problem if it is the original one . Hope this helps and happy hunting for that dream car (y)

Rich

Administrator
PerhapsI could butt in here and welcome Adtheman (Adam) as our newest Club Member. Thank you for joining, Adam. We have a C3 Buyers Guide for Club Members. I have emailed you a copy. Welcome.

Jack Cooper

Well-known user
Welcome to CCCUK, Adtheman...... from the pix, it would seem the black '75' has a 1976 steering wheel (only year it was used, pinched from the Chevrolet Vega!).
Also, the rear end is not standard '75 - someone has installed 1980-on spoilered end cap; this raises the question: has it been rear-ended, or did a previous owner just prefer the look?
Be careful! Study Corvette reference books as much as possible before committing to a purchase, esp. if you're looking for originality. If originality isn't important to you, then you're free to consider whatever takes your fancy.
Someone has already suggested The Corvette Black Book: a must!
There's a wealth of knowledge within CCCUK and plenty of folks will be willing to help and guide you.
J.C. (1911)

Jack Cooper

Well-known user
Me again....! Just looked at my Black Book and Black was not an exterior colo(u)r option in 1975 (nor '76 for that matter).
The Corvette has been repainted - no surprise there, really, as most (if not all) C3s have been on the receiving end of a spray-gun.
It would be interesting to look at the trim tag (if it's on the car) and see what the original colo(u)r was!
Good luck in your Corvette hunting.
J.C. (1911)

Roscobbc

Me again....! Just looked at my Black Book and Black was not an exterior colo(u)r option in 1975 (nor '76 for that matter).
The Corvette has been repainted - no surprise there, really, as most (if not all) C3s have been on the receiving end of a spray-gun.
It would be interesting to look at the trim tag (if it's on the car) and see what the original colo(u)r was!
Good luck in your Corvette hunting.
J.C. (1911)
Any reasonable 'seller' will give you details of the Vin number and paint/body tag which will pin help down original colour and date of manufacture

kentvette

CCCUK Member
I'm a bit late to this thread - I spent half a day trying to find the C3 Buyers Guide that I know used to be on this site somewhere, so I'm glad that Rich has emailed a copy!

But, I always reiterate what has been said - read the books!:). The Black Book is a handy tool for checking what a car should be. But books like Tom Falconers "Original 68-82 Corvette" book is excellent, as is Richard Prince's Corvette 68-82 Restoration Guide. Both detail each year, and also what may be problem areas. If you can hold of a copy of Richard Langworth's "Complete Corvette" it is a terrific read giving masses of history and anecdotes.

As Chuffer said, don't expect a C3 to be anything like a modern car at all! :D