C3 Parking Brake

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Damn, that is really some nazi crap they force on their own people :-(
No wonder you're all not into high performance, doing mods or custom tunes, you're brainwashed by those commies holding office that a good vehicle has less than 150 HP and never going over 55 MPH,
that is boring, so I think all you hardcore Corvette owners here should move to the USA just to be able to haul ass and doing performance mods :)

As I mentioned here in the USA most counties do not require any safety inspections, most do not even require SMOG testing anymore
as been proven that American vehicles made in the last 20 years were designed for clean exhaust output

Even with all the mods on my 1999 C5, engine stroked, larger fuel injectors, custom CAM, etc and Cats ripped out with headers
passes the on-board smog tests and zero error codes trip, but of course I custom tuned the GM calibration in PCM to make it 500 HP,
30 MPG on highways and outputs clean exhaust

Some counties only require a SMOG test that all a shop does in plug in a OBD-II scanner and if the on-board smog tests are in a complete
state and the check engine light is not on, then vehicle passes
Brainwashed is pretty rich coming from a nation that voted in a character like Trump as president !!!

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
The Japanese 'Shaken' vehicle check must be made every two years and is one of the most comprehensive and expensive - upwards of $1000 - in the world. Because of the cost of the test and of any necessary remedial work to pass it many owners sell their car when the Shaken is due and buy new. The glut of relatively young low mileage Japanese cars find ready markets in Australia and the UK, since we and the Japanese have the steering wheel on the right - correct - side. ;):)
Yup, I know it well from the Jap scene a while back when I got my FTO (Japan only car). They have to keep their cars well maintained. I got my FTO newly imported from Japan when it was 9 years old. It was PRISTINE and only had 21k miles on the clock. Alas, 18 years later, with UK weather, 100k miles added on top, and a crash (repaired), its not looking anywhere near as hot, but still goes fine.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
The Japanese 'Shaken' vehicle check must be made every two years and is one of the most comprehensive and expensive - upwards of $1000 - in the world. Because of the cost of the test and of any necessary remedial work to pass it many owners sell their car when the Shaken is due and buy new. The glut of relatively young low mileage Japanese cars find ready markets in Australia and the UK, since we and the Japanese have the steering wheel on the right - correct - side. ;):)
I often marvel at how my C3 spent 27 years of it`s life in Japan up to 2016 with their strict controls . Maybe it didn`t get driven anywhere ?? The odometer showed 81,341 when it came to the UK and I bought so maybe most of that was done in its first nine years spent in the states . :unsure:

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
If it came to it and I had to use the handbrake as an “emergency” brake, I would be hoping I‘m on a very long and straight road.
How would the hydraulic brakes ever completely fail? - It’s a dual circuit so you would always have either front or rear brakes operating.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Remember that guy on youtube when his breaks failed and he was driving hard a 1000hp restomod around busy streets...
That was because he was riding the brakes due to the car not working correctly. It was an auto and was basically applying power all the time and he was keeping it in check by riding the brakes. This meant the brake discs got too hot and boiled the brake fluid, causing brake fade. I doubt the handbrake would have helped in that case. What would have helped is if the driver pulled over and stopped when they realised there was a problem.