C3`s too low to clear speed bumps. ?

chevy402

CCCUK Member
I have had a 72 custom vette for many years but one of the reasons for not now using it is the size and volume of speed bumps around in my area here in the UK.
Question to all is, how do the rest of you cope with this problem?. Has anyone looked into air bags, hydraulics etc. added to the front end to raise front end at the appropriate times.
My efforts investigating air bags implies that due to the nature of the vette front end design would require extensive chassis modifications to allow clearance to the required bags.
Note: the oil pan/ exhaust 4 into 1 headers/ manual 6 speed have all similar ground clearance to the bell hosing.
Any suggestions ?.

Roscobbc

My '68 isn't lowered - can't really as custom 3" exhaust system has to pass under gearbox cross member (rather than through it) - couple that with race spec' Hooker Super Comp headers and even the header collectors are very low........so I have to go very carefully over speed humps. Going over the humps diagonally seems to help.
Anything more and you'll need to install an air ride system and associated compressor and air bags........https://www.x2industries.com/product/1968-1982-chevrolet-corvette-c3-complete-air-suspension-kit/

Last edited:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
When I’ve used a C3 in/around my area ( north London ish) is got over the speed bumps OK provided I’ve taken it easy. Of course not all bumps are uniform in all areas. My 65 is also fine provided I take it easy as it has side pipes.
There are a few in parts of Haringey that are quite brutal.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
My 1980 has a front splitter and side skirts and the non standard exhaust is low towards the rear of the car . I don`t have a problem so long as I am carefull . With speed cushions as opposed to full with speed humps I always drive the left or right hand side of car over them to avoid having them under middle of car . That also protects the side wall of tyres too . If you have any traffic calming humps in your area that are higher than 100mm report them to your local authority / highways dept as thy are illegal .

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
My 68 small block with sidepipes has no issue at all with bump, including those annoying blobs of tarmac in the centre of the road that are designed purely to try and wipe out your sump and/or exhaust.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
We’ve had some redone recently when they were resurfacing the roads, and they are much more friendly than those they replaced.

Nick B

CCCUK Member
Same as Chuffer, I always drive the wheels over the humps so that the hump doesn't pass under the middle of the car, never had a problem. 🤞

Roscobbc

Watch the younger guys in the drastically lowered Golfs, Polos, Corsa's and Fiesta's for guidance - they drive over the humps at an angle - it helps to minimise any potential contact with hump.
In addition - ask your passenger to get out out of the car before going over - in extreme cases get out yourself and push the car over if you can. In really extreme cases carry some lengths of boarding to 'bridge' the ramp-up...........(I am joking btw)

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Same as Chuffer, I always drive the wheels over the humps so that the hump doesn't pass under the middle of the car, never had a problem. 🤞
I've done that in previous cars before, but as my 68 has sidepipes the thoughts of front wheel going over hump fine, then as it exits the hump the middle side of my car gets beached on the hump due to the side pipes. So with my 68 I just drive slowly straight over the top of those bumps..... or to the amusement of my wife if there is no traffic then I go into the middle of the road and drive through the gap between the bump on my side, and the bump on the other side of the road.

chevy402

CCCUK Member
Hi all, thanks for the replies. Thanks roscobbc for that link you gave. I have looked at the pictures advertising the version for a C3 but they have various different photos, each one showing the parts used, but each photo of parts differ from one another which suggests to me that they are just showing generic available parts to choose from and therefore have not really tried out a setup on a C3. So i have emailed them asking them for any available photos of a C3 installation and/or the instruction installation sheet so that i can asses what would be involved with a C3 installation. If they do not reply i`ll take it that they have not really attempted a C3 installation and are just selling parts.
For the record, a while back i corresponded with Britt at ridetech who said that a similar chassis setup was on an impala and that required extensive chassis spring pocket surgery and i suspect that the air bags used as in the x2industries would require the same work.
So i`m hoping they have indeed, fabricated a workable setup for the C3. I`ll let you know if they reply.

I have had a look at the clearance distance which is 4" (100mm) with the lowest item which is the headers and from the photo of my vette you can see the kind of stance as it stands at the moment.
Apart from speed bumps, another area where i have had problems was using under ground car parks where the ramps up + down levels causes the front to dig into the floor then/or the middle of the car contacting while passing over the top of the ramp. So i am keen on being able to have the luxury of changing the ride height.

Attachments

• air bag on chassis.jpg
    air bag on chassis.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 13
  • vette004.jpg
    vette004.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 14

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Hi all, thanks for the replies. Thanks roscobbc for that link you gave. I have looked at the pictures advertising the version for a C3 but they have various different photos, each one showing the parts used, but each photo of parts differ from one another which suggests to me that they are just showing generic available parts to choose from and therefore have not really tried out a setup on a C3. So i have emailed them asking them for any available photos of a C3 installation and/or the instruction installation sheet so that i can asses what would be involved with a C3 installation. If they do not reply i`ll take it that they have not really attempted a C3 installation and are just selling parts.
For the record, a while back i corresponded with Britt at ridetech who said that a similar chassis setup was on an impala and that required extensive chassis spring pocket surgery and i suspect that the air bags used as in the x2industries would require the same work.
So i`m hoping they have indeed, fabricated a workable setup for the C3. I`ll let you know if they reply.

I have had a look at the clearance distance which is 4" (100mm) with the lowest item which is the headers and from the photo of my vette you can see the kind of stance as it stands at the moment.
Apart from speed bumps, another area where i have had problems was using under ground car parks where the ramps up + down levels causes the front to dig into the floor then/or the middle of the car contacting while passing over the top of the ramp. So i am keen on being able to have the luxury of changing the ride height.
The 100mm clearance at the headers is a pain as that will hit the 100mm max permitted standard for traffic calming . I would never contemplate taking my C3 into an underground car park or a multi storey for that matter . Too many steep DSCF3030.JPG ramps , tight turns and concrete pillars . :eek: As best as I can tell from your photo you have better ground clearance than I do . :unsure:

Roscobbc

If this helps - mine has F41 springing - ride height shoud be the same at stock springing (probably less likely to sag) - tyres are 27" tall, so much the same as a stock fitment. There is 3" between egde of tyre on front - 4" on rear. Back does seem to sit a bit higher since I fitted Koni gas shocks. Obviously the rear will sit lower with driver + passenger.
Headers are Hooker Super Comps, race headers really. They do hang low and sit way back in chassis - as you can see collectors were cut-off and changed to a slip-ring fixing. Bends are to acute to effectively run through chassis. Measured clearance as shown with measuring tape 3.5". So, there's no way I can lower the car off (not that I want to)

Attachments

• 20211021_134823.jpg
    20211021_134823.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20211021_135223.jpg
    20211021_135223.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20211021_135311.jpg
    20211021_135311.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 9

chevy402

CCCUK Member
Hi All. I did eventually get a reply from x2industries. I asked for information specifically for the c3, and I was supplied some photos of only a C3 rear fitment method. But most photos given where for a C4 front + rear fitment. So they had not given me any front C3 pics or description of how it would be installed.
As the C4 front chassis is totally different to the C3 i suspected that there was likely to be an issue fitting a front C3, so i again explained that i was only interested in a C3 system and the reply was that the powers that be would not allow a cad file to be given and no photos of a C3 front were available.
I suspect that they have not done a C3 front in spite of their advertising as they surely don`t expect me to buy a kit blind! unseen and on faith.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Its amazing how many people people can`t answer straightforward questions with straightforward answers . I bet they do expect you to buy blind and on faith , then when it doesn`t fit they can say it`s your fault for not ordering the correct parts ! :mad:

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Have you tried any of the UK based companies that do air ride?

Thats a great looking car you have there 402, it’s a shame the speed bumps in your area are putting you off driving the car.

Roscobbc

Very interesting - they list the hydraulic lift system for later Vettes - C6Z06 kit with coilovers is from £7100. Got to be a better bet than air bags.