C3`s too low to clear speed bumps. ?

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Only £7100 !
Alternatively, 402, you could raise the car by 1/2” with spacers or new springs and that could make all the difference with getting over the speed bumps.
My car is quite low at 27 1/2“ to the wheel arch and that leaves 4 1/2 ground clearance to the collectors and I can’t say I’ve ever scraped a speed hump under the front of the car. The lowest point under my car is the exhausts going under the diff, 4” at that point and has occasionally scraped. Point being an extra 1/2” could be all that is required.

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
A profile shot of my car showing ground clearance at 27 1/2" height to wheel arch front and back. 4 1/2" ground clearance at collectors area.
I'll be changing the rear spring soon and will be aiming to get front to 27 1/4" and rear 27 3/4" or thereabouts during that exercise.
Screenshot 2021-10-31 at 13.51.27.png

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Measured my minimum clearance today . Lowest point is just aft of the transverse leaf spring at 4 & 1/2 inches . Only had a minor scrape a couple of times as always carefull.DSCF2778.JPG

chevy402

CCCUK Member
Thanks all for the pics. I have the vetbrakesproducts adjustable fiberglass rear spring and i have managed to rout the exhaust between control arm and half shaft so the rear is not my worry.
I have a bit more info. I have contacted Jri shocks who do a hydraulic version, basicly it is a small cup/piston that fits on top of a coilover which seemed to be quit a good idea, but unfortunatly they said that the C3 shocks were too short to fit and there was also not enough clearance.
I also came across an australian ( i think) youtube showing that it was necersary to enlarge his C3 spring pocket to accept a 6" double air bag to make sure it did not contact the bag, while it also prevented the shock to be used in the usual place, he placed it at the side, which looked as though it limited turning the steering as much. I think i`ll draw the line at chopping up the chassis though. It seems that just about all the corvette series can be fitted with a system of one sort or another....except the C3.
I also noted that a 6" dia bag gives around just over 4" of travel, and a 5"dia bag gives just over 3" of travel but the C3 shock uses over 5" travel, so a 5" dia bag even if pumped up more would loose travel.
I also thought that one of those assist air shocks that they use for when towing, they help by adding more lift to the rear of towing vehicles due to the extra weight on the back wheels. Unfortunatly the manufacterer said they would not be interested in making front shockss for vehicles let alone one to suit a C3.
I have looked at manufacteres all around uk, europe, usa, south africa.
It`s looking like a dead end.....i`m thinking what a plan `B` may be.