C3 softtop weatherstrip -HELP PLEASE

Johnd

Regular user
I had a new softtop & weatherstrip fitted a year or so ago. The problem I have is that the weatherstripping, rear bow, that seals against the fibreglass lid keeps coming off. It's meant to be a push fit but can only assume that the metal rail has got pinched/squashed slightly over the years & doesn't hold firmly. I'm assuming it can only go on one way? Would you glue it, if so any recommendations for adhesive that would give time to locate/fit properly?

Thanks.

Corvette

Well-known user
The rear bow weatherstrip isn’t designed to be glued on. There is a thread somewhere about using an ignition lead to get it in the groove. Wilcox may be your answer..Also Antijam on here is just starting his soft top.

antijam

CCCUK Member
The rear bow weatherstrip isn’t designed to be glued on. There is a thread somewhere about using an ignition lead to get it in the groove. Wilcox may be your answer..Also Antijam on here is just starting his soft top.

Thanks for the prompt Corvette...;)
Yes, it sounds as if your weatherstrip is missing the locking cord Johnd. I've just removed my rear bow and this shot of one end may explain the fixing....

1-P1370083.JPG

I've pulled the seal and the locking cord out of the bow to clarify the arrangement. After the top was fitted into the groove in the bow, the weatherstrip was then squeezed in on top of it and the final job would have been to insert (with a lot of lubricant and probably swearing) the locking cord. The end of the cord I've pulled out you can see towards the top of the picture.

If yours is missing Corvette Kingdom can supply one - see here.

Johnd

Regular user
You're right! Strange thing is I bought new top & weatherstrip kit from Corvette America, just checked website & cord is not included in the kit, just listed & sold separately! Listing for kit does not even mention that it's needed!! I'll order one.

Also my top has, at present, bolts fitted instead of the correct rear locator pins. I've got new ones but am unable to make them catch in the mechanism once they're screwed into the frame. Doesn't appear to be long enough but they are correct. Any tips / ideas??

Thanks so much Antijam, really appreciated!!!

This is my car, it's also for sale!DSCF1881.JPG