C3 underside pics.

Boeingdriver

CCCUK Member
Hi,
Any C3 gurus available to pass comment on a few pics I’ve been sent of the birdcage/underside of a C3 I’m interested in?
I’m planning to inspect the car shortly but just wondered what you guys think.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• A35C228E-E827-465C-9FE2-C651E2B83B07.jpeg
    A35C228E-E827-465C-9FE2-C651E2B83B07.jpeg
    332.3 KB · Views: 42
  • C785FF87-269C-420B-9560-14647EB6076B.jpeg
    C785FF87-269C-420B-9560-14647EB6076B.jpeg
    289 KB · Views: 43
  • CF495CA2-01B1-44DF-B77D-9F1E65D1A993.jpeg
    CF495CA2-01B1-44DF-B77D-9F1E65D1A993.jpeg
    199.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 7DA56060-21C4-4627-88D1-3230766B37E0.jpeg
    7DA56060-21C4-4627-88D1-3230766B37E0.jpeg
    188.9 KB · Views: 43
  • B7A6CDA4-6B30-4C88-B678-B126C7D2EBD7.jpeg
    B7A6CDA4-6B30-4C88-B678-B126C7D2EBD7.jpeg
    216.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 73D28369-29DF-47B9-8D41-A579BFD0A238.jpeg
    73D28369-29DF-47B9-8D41-A579BFD0A238.jpeg
    224.9 KB · Views: 41
  • C63443D7-BEEA-4597-950F-998E64B39E6A.jpeg
    C63443D7-BEEA-4597-950F-998E64B39E6A.jpeg
    179.4 KB · Views: 43

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Little bit of flaky rust in the last photo but it doesn’t look scary. Might be an idea to stick a camera up the birdcage.

Later transmission by the looks of it too. transmission cooler lines (I think they are) look a little close to the manifolds.

Aftermarket headers, is the engine tweaked?

Boeingdriver

CCCUK Member
Thanks,
As I understand It’s a standard 350 with a retrofitted 4 speed. Could the transmission overheat in this setup?
Do you have any tips on how to access and see further bits of the birdcage?

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Hi,
Any C3 gurus available to pass comment on a few pics I’ve been sent of the birdcage/underside of a C3 I’m interested in?
I’m planning to inspect the car shortly but just wondered what you guys think.
Thanks in advance.
Looks like the bottom of the bird cage at the front body mounts might have plated over at some time . The best I can tell from photos 1 , 2 & 7 the vertical section of plate doesn`t sit flush against A post and the top edge in photo 1 looks like a freshly cut edge to me but could be wrong . If they have been plated over to reinforce where the body mounting bolts pass through the bushes it begs the question whats the rest of the chassis like in that area . The rubber bushes thenselves look ok so might have been replaced bult the bolts and washers look old which is odd beacuse I thought new mounts came as a complete kit with rubbers , bolts and washers .
The rear suspension drop link bushes are toast as to be expected with age but not a deal breaker . Just a real faff to replace if a DIY job .
Like Oneball said , a probe camera would be good if you have one or can borrow . What year is the C3 ? One easy test for structual rigiditu of the birdcage is any sligh flex in the windscreen surround with the T tops out . Also open both doors and pull up on the trailing edge of doors to see if there is any drop on the hinges or movement .

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Those body mounts are as it left the factory. They’ve not been plated, I’d take a photo of mine but it’s dark and cold!

Id just re-route or insulate the trans pipes. As long as the guild is a nice colour and doesn’t smell burnt it’ll be fine. I doubt that’ll cause the box to overheat but every little helps.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Those body mounts are as it left the factory. They’ve not been plated, I’d take a photo of mine but it’s dark and cold!

Id just re-route or insulate the trans pipes. As long as the guild is a nice colour and doesn’t smell burnt it’ll be fine. I doubt that’ll cause the box to overheat but every little helps.
I stand corrected then , just thought they didn`t look quite right . Mine hasn`t got plates standing slightly proud . I descaled that box section area on mine and painted with copious amounts of rust protection paint .

Roscobbc

If there is corrosion in upper front birdcage (windscreen surround) it will accumulate in the in the 'well' where bircage bolts to chassis (and tend to leak rainwater on your legs). It looks in very good order there - thing is......any tell-tale from upper parts rust that was laying there could have been vacuumed up by previous owner........... Jack the car up each side on the front jacking points.......obverve door 'shuts' - are they still the same top and bottom? - do the doors open when the car is jacked-up? - if not it could be indicative of bircage issues.

Roscobbc

Image showing frontal view of headers - they appear very close to steering arms - I'm sure the camera/phone makes it appear that way and they are not that close. Are the pair of small diameter pipes fuel feed and return or trans cooler lines? - fuel lines should be clipped to inner part of frame. Moved bolts in base of bircage......perhaps some has removed complete door hinge assembly for some reason?
Mines an 'early' C3 - April '68 - base of birdcase image
RH foorwell.JPG

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
I thought the car in question looked pretty free from oil leaks, but some time ago theres been an attempt to tart it up with a blow-over of some kind of black paint/ sealer. The whole suspension could do with an overhaul I would say if you want a project - clean-up, new bushes in suspension arms, replace shock absorbers (look like originals), roll bar bushes, spring bushes etc. Birdcage/mount in pretty good condition and original IMO.
No pics of engine bay but I would hazard a guess to see a similar refurb project or two required there to get it nice again. I’m going to guess this car is a 75 or 76?

Roscobbc

I cannot remember but what year did the C3s get smog system like CATs
as I do not see them on this C3 ?
Shouldn't imagine there would be too many Vettes (or any other UK based American cars from this period) with smog gear still intact and useable. It has never been a legal requirement on cars in UK from that time so most people would have junked-it.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Shouldn't imagine there would be too many Vettes (or any other UK based American cars from this period) with smog gear still intact and useable. It has never been a legal requirement on cars in UK from that time so most people would have junked-it.

OK thanks for the info as the exhaust pipes did not look normal in the way they are laid out

B7A6CDA4.jpg