C4 front wheel opening flares?

The Stig

Regular user
Hi Guys. I'm from Canada and I am wondering whats up with front wheel well opening flares. We don't have them on Canadian cars. Are they rare? Can a pair be located?

Jack Cooper

Well-known user
Some Euro export Corvettes were fitted with them to meet Govt. regulations in certain countries, Stig. (I think primarily Germany). My 1992 LT1 (owned 2000 to 2009) was originally a Belgian car, and did not have them. No idea of quantities; the Black Book doesn't mention it, altho' it does give total export numbers to various world markets. Based on those numbers, the qty. of 'flared' cars must be very low. Another quirk was rear-view mirrors: for some reason the 'stock' (aero/fared-in) mirrors were deemed unsafe in some markets (Germany again?) and were replaced by other ones, which I THINK (DON'T QUOTE ME) were Rolls Royce sourced. I've seen one such C4 in the UK (in Tom Falconer's 'Claremont Corvette' shop many years ago) and I think he sold it to someone in Europe.
Goodness knows where you'd locate some flares - e-bay maybe, or via Corvette owners' clubs/forums would be my best guess.
From a personal perspective, I thought they looked rather silly, as they protruded well beyond the wheels/tyres; the whole idea of fender flares is to bring the bodywork out to cover the width of wide(r) wheels, surely?
Drive carefully, stay safe,
J.C.

FelixP

CCCUK Member
I have a pair of NOS factory flares, make me an offer. They'll be cheap & light to post to Canada

The Stig

Regular user
I have a pair of NOS factory flares, make me an offer. They'll be cheap & light to post to Canada
Aha. Are these the front wheel well opening flares? Do you have the front lower fenders as well as they are flared to match?

FelixP

CCCUK Member
Aha. Are these the front wheel well opening flares? Do you have the front lower fenders as well as they are flared to match?
They're the rear ones, which I believe where used on the front too for the export models. I don't have the extensions but they can be bought separately

The Stig

Regular user
They're the rear ones, which I believe where used on the front too for the export models. I don't have the extensions but they can be bought separately
We have the rear flares available here in Canada. It's the front flares with the flared lower front fenders that I'm looking for.