C4 Restoration

lordkev1

Regular user
I have just bought an 84 C4 and whilst it runs and drives great but the paint is beyond redemption, can any one tell me a rough estimate and where to go in Essex?

And is there anyone in England to repair instrument panel?

Thanks

Mick Howes

CCCUK Member
Not sure where you are in Essex, but you could try MechSpray, Rochester in Kent, tel 01634 847940
Peter Darwell is excellent, he did my C3 years back, great job. Cost will vary depending on what sort of finish you're after, mine was £2000, fibreglass is notoriously expensive to redo, especially if the gel coat is compromised.
But it's worth giving him a call. They are also on Facebook where you see the sort of work they do, if you ever saw the Thunderbirds movie, the one with real people not puppets, they did the paint work for the Pink Ford ;-)
Here's the link: Mechspray Good luck

N

Norm

By today's standards, environmentally, safety, etc., overall paint jobs are not inexpensive. The shop has a lot of overhead in just having the approved paint booth, exhaust, and breathing apparatus in play. Unless you can find the back yard shade tree guy that specializes in overalls, which I doubt is out there, you are basically captured by the paint professional and the price he wants to charge.
May I suggest a little research on your behalf. Go to the shop in question and ask if you can see some of their previous work up close and personal. Shop around, some may offer a better deal than others. Good luck with your endeavor.

Roscobbc

I have just bought an 84 C4 and whilst it runs and drives great but the paint is beyond redemption, can any one tell me a rough estimate and where to go in Essex?

And is there anyone in England to repair instrument panel?

Thanks
Custom Exotics have done a fair number of show winning Vettes. Based at Harlow they have an open day in a couple of weeks.

Redlevel

Well-known user
If you get a good job done for less than £5k, you'll be lucky.. Its all in the prep!
I blocked mine all over with 600grit and filled a bit here and there. It was then sprayed with stolen aircraft primer, flattened again and sprayed with 3x VW Tornado red and 3x laquer. No colour sanding to keep costs down and mates rates for £500 cash!
FB_IMG_1567449402687.jpgFB_IMG_1567449412849.jpg

Braeburn 22

CCCUK Member

I had mine done recently, striped back and redone with a lot of repairs including all the trim and the wheels powder coated.

It was circa £4,500 ultimately unless you get reduced rates or you can do most of the preparation you are going to be in that ballpark.

FelixP

CCCUK Member
It's not in the UK but Batee seems the go to for repairing the dash:

lordkev1

Regular user
It's not in the UK but Batee seems the go to for repairing the dash:

Thanks