C4 - tail light advice

CDC

Busy user
Hi. I am keen to switch my '90 ZR1 tail lights so that they look like they originally did in the US. By that, I mean I want to switch the outer lenses from amber to red. That's the easy part. I then want my dipped beam on the rear to illuminate across all 4 bulbs (I think that's how they had it in the US originally) and also my brake lights to be across all 4 bulbs. Indicators will need to just flash in the outer pair. It seems a terrible shame that at night currently all 4 rear lenses aren't lit up red in dipped beam mode so i am keen to achieve this. Almost like a Nissan Skyline.

I hope that makes sense. Has anyone done this?

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Follow the wiring for the USA to rework to rewire or
get the used USA wiring harness versus how it is done in Europe

79271505.jpg79271506.jpg79271510.jpg

Stingray

CCCUK Member
In UK (Europe) indicators need to be (a) amber, and (b) the furthest outboard rear lamps.
I'm not aware of any way to share the lamp function unless you fit clear lenses and install separate amber and red bulbs for the different functions.
[For what its worth, your rear fog lamp must be either central or to the right and cannot be shared with any other lamp function.]

Back in the day I designed a US-style rear lamp set-up for C5 using diodes so that there were twin indicators each side and the reversing lamps illuminated amber. But that was easier because there are no legal requirements about reversing lamps. It also helped that Euro C5s had 2-part lenses, with a red side lamp and amber indicator in the same unit.

To be honest, I think you'll struggle to achieve what you're looking for on a C4. The amber, outboard indicator lens is about as good as it gets. (Unless you mount additional amber indicator lamps. Yuk.)

JTB

Regular user
CDC,
I was having a dig around for UK lighting conversions and found this...

This looked to be a pretty decent compromise. Not sure if Bright Light Customs are still on the go, the website certainly seems to be around though.
Let us know if you have any luck - I may be looking for similar myself at some point this year!

Regards

Jas

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
If you just put it back to US spec it will achieve the look you want. However it will not be UK legal as your rear indicators will be red. You may have trouble getting it MOT’ed. I would think any decent auto electrical shop would be able to do it.

CDC

Busy user
@Nassau65 and therein lies the issue. Unsure how to get around the indicator colouring.

@JTB That's really useful, thanks. Brightlight customs look brilliant and i really like the link to what is actually a C4 ZR1 having the sort of upgrade i am after, despite the video being badged as a C5. I will contact them so see how much they might charge for that.

@teamzr1 Thanks for sharing the wiring diagram. Apologies; I didn't realise you aren't a brit. Dipped beam here just means the lights you would have on at night (sounds stupid, but unsure how better to explain that). Not full beam (ie blinding to those approaching you).

Reactions: JTB