C5 Alloy Wheels Supplier in UK

mr_glasgow84

Regular user
Hi guys, I'm a new C5 owner from Glasgow. My wheels are a mess and I'm getting mixed messages from refurbishment companies regarding whether or not they can strip them etc.

I *think* the wheels are chrome plated which I'm told by some companies, can be stripped, repaired and painted in a colour of my choice. Others are saying that these companies are wrong because the standard stripping agents won't work on chrome plating.

I'm left considering simply buying a set of new wheels but my Google searches aren't proving fruitful when it comes to UK suppliers of non-chrome/ non chrome plated wheels. I'm happy to stick with the front 17 and rear 18 inch set up currently on the car.

If anyone's on Instagram, I post up pics at mr_glasgow84

Thanks in advance,

Martin

Stingray

CCCUK Member
chrome/chrome-plated options which I'm keen to avoid obviously.
Very wise IMO. They may be OK in Texas/California but seem pretty hopeless in UK climate.

If it was me I'd buy a used set on ebay and, if necessary, get them professionally refurbed. (One thing to watch out for, all C5 wheels look similar at a glance but there's a slight difference in "offset" between US and Euro cars. US cars have a fractionally wider stance, about half an inch. Both types of wheel should be absolutely fine for you but when buying used make sure you're getting two identical wheels for each axle.)

Custom exotics

Well-known user
Chrome plating can be stripped but by the chrome platers they need to be reversed plated as such then taken to wheel refurbers to be refinished unless you have magnesium wheels then pretty much nobody will touch them to refurb plenty of aftermarket options cray wheels etc I think r-tec in St Albans can get them otherwise prob Northants wheels or go straight to China and have some made we just had 2 sets done for a c5 and c6 give us a call Tues if you need anymore advice

Blackzed

CCCUK Member
I had my chrome Z06 wheels dechromed, this leaves a copper finish. I took them to a wheel powder coaters, who then fixed the curb rash and lightly blasted the wheels and then coated them, no problems at all. Will try and find photos.

Alexm

CCCUK Member
I’ve just posted a advert in the for sale section for a set of C5 alloys that might be of interest ?

Custom exotics

Well-known user
I had my chrome Z06 wheels dechromed, this leaves a copper finish. I took them to a wheel powder coaters, who then fixed the curb rash and lightly blasted the wheels and then coated them, no problems at all. Will try and find photos.
A good chrome plater should be able to remove all the copper plate as well by repeating the process

Blackzed

CCCUK Member
Have added a few photos of the wheels during the process.
There is pre strip, post strip, post "blasting" and post powder coating.

Attachments

• BILD0303.JPG
    BILD0303.JPG
    218.4 KB · Views: 6
  • BILD0298.JPG
    BILD0298.JPG
    469.2 KB · Views: 5
  • BILD0281.JPG
    BILD0281.JPG
    312.7 KB · Views: 5
  • BILD0276.JPG
    BILD0276.JPG