C6 Battery / Start Issue Question

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
I've been over in the States for 7 weeks eyeing up some lovely C7s and my beautiful C6 must have caught me...... :eek:

Left in the charge of my brother, he went to start it and simply got a click.
Thinking the battery was dead, he took it off to charge it, replaced and and still just a click.

He's taken it to be tested and apparently the battery is fine, so the questions are these.
1) Is there a procedure for replacing the battery once taken off that needs to be followed?
2) If the battery is fine, what is likely to be the issue?

Never had a battery / start issue on either C6 before so unable to advise him. :cautious:
Any advice appreciated.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Don’t know about battery changing procedure but if you’re getting a click from the solenoid it’s likely to be

Flat battery, even though it’s been tested this would be top of my list, as symptoms and being left point to it.
Bad earth
Starter motor jammed
Starter motor failed

Is it auto or manual?

It could be the brake or clutch switch has failed but you wouldn’t get a click from the solenoid, could the click be something else?

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
Don’t know about battery changing procedure but if you’re getting a click from the solenoid it’s likely to be

Flat battery, even though it’s been tested this would be top of my list, as symptoms and being left point to it.
Bad earth
Starter motor jammed
Starter motor failed

Is it auto or manual?

It could be the brake or clutch switch has failed but you wouldn’t get a click from the solenoid, could the click be something else?
Thanks for the reply, it's an auto.

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Strange one that, as you are being told the battery is OK. How old is the battery/what make? On my C6, you got the clicks when the battery was totally flat or flat enough not to have enough "juice" to turn over the engine. If it had been totally flat, your brother wouldn't have been to get into the car/open the door, without using the emergency key in the rear hatch slot, as you no doubt know. No, there's no special procedure to go thru when changing the battery, except you need to re-index the side windows afterwards. When he took the battery out to recharge it initially, presumably the charger was indicating that the battery was "low," saying as you had left it standing for 7 weeks?

Last edited:

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
Strange one that, as you are being told the battery is OK. How old is the battery/what make? On my C6, you got the clicks when the battery was totally flat or flat enough not to have enough "juice" to turn over the engine. If it had been totally flat, your brother wouldn't have been to get into the car/open the door, without using the emergency key in the rear hatch slot, as you know doubt know. No, there's no special procedure to go thru when changing the battery, except you need to re-index the side windows afterwards. When he took the battery out to recharge it initially, presumably the charger was indicating that the battery was "low," saying as you had left it standing for 7 weeks?
Thanks for the reply.
He had started it for me as I'd requested, but just hadn't driven it.
He apparently read somewhere after that it takes a 20 minute drive to recharge the battery to the amount it lost in start up with the seat movement etc? :unsure:

The first time, he did have to use the emergency key entry, so the battery obviously was flat then, but it has been fully charged and tested since and is apparently fine?

I can't recall what the battery is, but it is just over a year old as I understand it from the previous owner.

He doesn't have the manual (that's back at mine) so how would he re-index the windows?

Thanks again.

Blackzed

CCCUK Member
Thanks for the reply.
He had started it for me as I'd requested, but just hadn't driven it.
He apparently read somewhere after that it takes a 20 minute drive to recharge the battery to the amount it lost in start up with the seat movement etc? :unsure:

The first time, he did have to use the emergency key entry, so the battery obviously was flat then, but it has been fully charged and tested since and is apparently fine?

I can't recall what the battery is, but it is just over a year old as I understand it from the previous owner.

He doesn't have the manual (that's back at mine) so how would he re-index the windows?

Thanks again.
To reindex the windows you just wind them down holding the button down for an extrs 3 seconds, then wind them up and hold them the same time, done.
As for the start issue, I would say if it clicks then the relay is engaging, therefore I would be looking at the starter, solenoid and cables to and from them.
Do the gauges full scale when you go to start?

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
Just to report back on this.
Having returned to the UK and with the battery reconnected to the C6 I crossed everything and hit the start button and....
.It started first time! :love:

It seems the problem can be traced to a faulty brother.....:geek: :LOL::ROFLMAO:

I'm not sure what the problem was with him starting it, but certainly I found the start button in accessory mode which would explain why the battery probably was drained at some stage, but why after a charge he couldn't start it, who knows?! :unsure:

Anyway, thanks for the advice and pleased to say I had a great drive home in it yesterday, stopping and starting several times on route without issue.
:cool:

RobertR1

New user
Just to report back on this.
Having returned to the UK and with the battery reconnected to the C6 I crossed everything and hit the start button and....
.It started first time! :love:

It seems the problem can be traced to a faulty brother.....:geek: :LOL::ROFLMAO:

I'm not sure what the problem was with him starting it, but certainly I found the start button in accessory mode which would explain why the battery probably was drained at some stage, but why after a charge he couldn't start it, who knows?! :unsure:

Anyway, thanks for the advice and pleased to say I had a great drive home in it yesterday, stopping and starting several times on route without issue.
:cool:

Hi, mind sharing a link a to which battery you use? I need to replace mine and would like to see some options.