C6 Loose Axle Nuts!!

Paul Newman

CCCUK regional rep
Hi folks - just wanted to bring to your attention something which a friend of mine (Notts Ade) has discovered on a C6 recently when removing the rear wheels. Apparently he's noticed that the rear axle nuts had loosened slightly and both required tightening with a 34mm socket. This appears to be more common with base model C6's as opposed to the wide body versions. Any questions and I'll speak to my buddy. Stay safe you lot ;)(y)

MrNoisy

Regular user
Hi folks - just wanted to bring to your attention something which a friend of mine (Notts Ade) has discovered on a C6 recently when removing the rear wheels. Apparently he's noticed that the rear axle nuts had loosened slightly and both required tightening with a 34mm socket. This appears to be more common with base model C6's as opposed to the wide body versions. Any questions and I'll speak to my buddy. Stay safe you lot ;)(y)

Hi Paul,

This is actually quite a common occurrence over on the US forums. In fact, it was addressed early on by GM with a TSB. I believe several versions of the TSB came out with slightly different recommended torque requirements so do your own research! Here is the text below for anyone interested. I did this after dropping the rear end and haven't had an issue even with 10's of thousands of miles and plenty of track use :D

Tapping or Scraping Noise From Rear Wheel Area (Replace Wheel Drive Shaft Nut) #07-04-95-001 - (09/26/2007)

Models: 2004-2008 Chevrolet Corvette and 2004-2008 Cadillac XLR
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Condition
Some customers may comment on a tapping or a scraping noise coming from the rear wheel area.

Cause
This condition may be due to the torque on the wheel drive shaft nut relaxing over time.

Correction
Replace the left and the right wheel drive shaft nut following the procedure below.

Remove the center cap from the rim.
Remove and discard the wheel drive shaft nut.
Apply LOCTITE™ 272, or equivalent, to the threads of the axle shaft.
Install the nut and tighten to the new specification.
Tighten
Tighten the nut to 215 N·m (160 lb ft).

Install the center cap to the rim.
Important: The vehicle should not be driven for 24 hours following the repair in order to allow the thread lock to cure.
Parts Information
Part Number.....10257766
Description......Nut
Qty................2 (one per side)

C6NL

CCCUK Member
Been there, done that, it's part of my routine to check the nuts once a month or so. I have a paintmark on the thread so I can see any movement. The nuts are one use only, but are not that expensive to replace.