C6 uk conversion

Milanm10

CCCUK Member
Wonder if anyone can help have just bought a c6 with a v5 and current not with no advisories but the car has front amber led indicators but rear are red, as have v5 do I need to convert to amber or can I leave and if need to convert does anyone now how I can get them converted and approx cost. Thanks

Stingray

CCCUK Member
No way could the car have passed IVA in that condition. And most places will fail you at MOT if the rear indicators aren't amber.

I suspect somebody has imported it, IVA'd it and then stuck the red rears on again. By the way, make sure the amber indicators are in the outboard pair of lamps.

And what's your situation regarding red rear fog lamp? MOT requirements are less strict than IVA but it needs to be centre or offside.

Milanm10

CCCUK Member
Thanks for the reply I am at big loss at moment with this it has not got a rear fog lamp , the car has been imported from Dubai last year, it has upgraded led headlamp units with in built amber led and side amber led on bumper, but that is it. The rears as said are red led lights with the lower half flashing red. I have tried to look at who can help with this but no joy yet.

Roscobbc

Read my new post just now re. dodgy C6's. Also look back on previous warnings about vehicles from Dubai..........buyer be VERY aware

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Very strange, the IVA ( old SVA) test is very strict, and would pick up on the rear lights straight away, they would also want to see a fog light. Back in the day when I was importing stretch Limousines they went through everything.
But saying that, it’s still in the hand of the individual tester. I remember once there was something about the lighting and he said to me “ I don’t pass them with that” even though I’ve had them passed before with the same modification.

Stingray

CCCUK Member
Don't hold me to this but I think the C6 wiring is "digital" and so it's tricky to reassign rear lamps which have previously been "shared". What I mean by that is a lot of US cars use the brake lamps as indicators. Depending which market your car originates from the solution to the rear indicators may vary.

I think the bottom line is you'll need to track down a competent auto electrician familiar with conversions and also buy yourself some "Euro" C6 rear lenses with an amber indicator slot.

There are people selling wiring harnesses which might address your issue. I have no personal experience but look, for instance, at this link,

See also this thread from Corvetteforum,

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
US vehicles since the 1950’s have used the shared rear turn signal/ brake light set up. Was fairly easy to split in the old days, but since the mid 1980’s has got harder to do on some models. Most competent auto electricians should be able to sort it out once you have the correct lenses.

Last edited:

Blackzed

CCCUK Member
The lighting system is ran on a CANBUS, you will need a Euro Spec rear harness fitting and euro rear lamps as well. If someone hacks into the circuit, you will end up in a world of pain.
Keith Beschi should be able to help.

Fishy Dave

CCCUK Member
I went through various iterations of lighting (a lot of hours and £££ wasted) before I was happy. Primarily I wanted to retain the red US rear lights, with no holes made for side indicators and when braking all 5 rear lights activate and when indicating each pair of rear lights flash. The set up below is bright and IMO safe, BUT, whilst it passes muster of an MOT tester with common sense, it would not pass an IVA check. Therefore, if you choose to copy this you do so at your own risk.

What I have now is as follows:

Rear Fog lights/reverse lights: https://sharplightinnovations.com/shop/ols/products/c6-euro-rear-fog-lightreverse-light

Front indicator/white running light: White DRL Switchback Harness for C6 corvette
20210605_180723.jpg

Side and rear indicators: I took a feed (soldered) from the switchback harness, ran wires back through the car to relays, that then power the rear and side indicators.
I still have one of these wired in at the rear, which splits the brake signal from the brakes/taillight, but I'm not sure if it's still required honestly. Rücklicht - Axel Joost Elektronik

Indicator 'bulbs': I have four of these plates, one glued into each US red taillight LED-Plates Yellow for inside lamp house
20190417_150009.jpg
20200704_140526.jpg
Rear bulbs: Not essential, but I use these, really bright and no hyper flash as you're taking the indicator feed from a source that already has resistors. RED Cree High Power 3157 Bulb (set of 4)
racetracker_7746471_115953.jpg
All of the connectors now used are decent quality, quick release types, particularly at the back to allow easy separation of the bodywork. The image below was one of many trial and error experiments.

20190417_145948.jpg
- I found that the front, switchback amber indicators were a little dim in bright daylight, therefore I have additional, tiny LED's wired inside the darkness of the front grille, you can see them in the first photo.
- The front and rear side running lights would not pass an IVA but actually perform very well as side indicators, once bulbs are changed to short LED's.
- What isn't needed is a Tech 2 or a Euro rear harness. I bought both and neither were needed, you can leave it set to US region.
There is very little written about how to convert your own car, partly as most new owners pay an import company to do it and therefore those companies understandably don't want to share their hard-earned secrets. I'm not an electronics person, but can just about understand a wiring diagram, so was happy to learn and experiment as I went.

Hope that helps :)