C7 Advice please

T

Taz

Hi Peoples ….Looking to buy a C7 and see that there are C7 Z06 and Z51’s ( I think 🤔) what’s the difference please …? Also I understand about the levels of spec from 1 -3 but is that on both models ? Go gentle on me as I’m a newbie ☺️

Stingray

CCCUK Member
As you say, there are three "trim" levels on Corvettes built at the factory. So far as I'm aware ALL official European cars are LT3, which is the highest level.

Regarding the mechanical stuff there are essentially three levels of car built at the factory,
Base model - wet sump, modest brakes, no/small rear spoiler. (Base car has never been sold in Europe.)
Z51 - same engine as base model but with dry sump system, bigger brakes and a spoiler all the way across the back of the car.
Z06 - bigger engine, uprated everything, wider body, front splitter etc - and a lot more expensive.

The easiest way to tell an official European car from a personal import is to look at the door mirrors. The mirrors are significantly larger (deeper) on European cars. Euro cars will all have headlamp washers, US cars may have them (although probably not).

Regarding transmissions, the earliest auto C7s will have a 6-speed box and later cars have an 8-speed paddle-shift box. All manuals are, I believe, the same.

Most cars you find for sale in UK will be at least Z51 with LT3. Check carefully if you find a "cheap" car because it may be either a very low spec' import or a write-off that's been repaired and then exported to a market where its history is less likely to be checked.

Unless you want one of the fastest cars in the known universe you'll probably be looking for a Z51 with LT3 and a transmission to suit your taste.

T

Taz

Hi Stingray…firstly thank you for taking the time so concisely , that’s really good of you …so I definitely want a C7 Automatic and am not adverse to hi Performance cars as have a few already …are all C7s Targa Top or do you get convertibles as well ? What sort of price should I be looking at for a C7 Z51 LT3 6 speed auto and a C7 Z06 LT3 8 speed auto please ? My plan is to keep the car in Spain so my best bet I’m guessing is to buy a European car ? best wishes Taz

Stingray

CCCUK Member
My plan is to keep the car in Spain so my best bet I’m guessing is to buy a European car ? best wishes Taz
It will be essential that you buy a European car with a "COC" European Certificate of Conformity in order to register it in any EU country (UK has always been different regarding registration of personal imports).

Price is very hard to judge, not least because there are so few cars that ever come on the market. I think there's been a decent one offered at around £45,000 relatively recently and prices go upwards from there depending on age, mileage and condition. There are undoubtedly a number of Corvettes in Spain so it may be worth looking there as well.

Stingray

CCCUK Member
Just to complete the picture, if you come across something called a "Grand Sport" it's essentially a Z51 LT3 built in "wide body" form so it looks a bit like a Z06 and costs a bit more money. It's about 4" wider than the Stingray so 2 metres overall width.

All Corvette C7s can be had as either coupe (which is the targa) or full folding-top convertible.