C7 engine oil and coolant

Quasar C4

CCCUK Member
Just picked up my C7 yesterday!
Just wanting to get a few consumables sorted before a road trip to Italy.
it’s currently filled with Mobil 1 5W30 so will top up with the same. Is that the oil most people are using?
Regarding coolant do most of you use genuine GM Dex-Cool (I guess you can still get this from a Vauxhall dealership?) or just any aftermarket OAT coolants.

Attachments

• IMG_8443.jpeg
    IMG_8443.jpeg
    301.8 KB · Views: 7

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
How many miles on your C7 ?

Have you checked fluids like for power steering, brakes, if manual tranny, clutch fluid, tranny and transaxle ?
Also, windshield washer fluid level and tire pressures if going on a long roundtrip drive

Best to stick with the Dexcool
I prefer using 10w30 Mobil 1 Synthetic as works better in hotter weather of if racing, or tend to use higher RPMs
5w30 just too thin for hot weather and can become blow by in hot or racing conditions

Can mix both if need be

Stingray

CCCUK Member
I've owned my C7 nearly 10 years. The concept of "topping up" is not one that I recognise.
I fill with Mobil 1 5w-30. Somewhat bizarrely it comes in several different flavours and at different prices. I'm using "ESP" which appears to tick the box for GM Dexos 2.

I've been using Mobil 1 for an alarming 40 years and must surely own the company by now. It's mighty expensive oil in UK. But, hey, I've never yet had an engine problem so perhaps I shouldn't be complaining....

Quasar C4

CCCUK Member
How many miles on your C7 ?

Have you checked fluids like for power steering, brakes, if manual tranny, clutch fluid, tranny and transaxle ?
Also, windshield washer fluid level and tire pressures if going on a long roundtrip drive

Best to stick with the Dexcool
I prefer using 10w30 Mobil 1 Synthetic as works better in hotter weather of if racing, or tend to use higher RPMs
5w30 just too thin for hot weather and can become blow by in hot or racing conditions

Can mix both if need be
5500 miles. It’s had oil change at 500 miles then every two years because of the low mileage, pollen filter and brake fluid and coolant change.

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
According to this, Mobil now recommend 0W-40 for the C7/LT1 engine. Thats what the "lads" in Notts are using on their C7s and Camaros.
They've also fitted Catch Cans to them too:

Last edited:

Stingray

CCCUK Member
Quote: "What is Super Car Oil? Mobil 1 rebranded the 0W-40 oil to Super Car Oil in 2021, molecule wise the oil is no different."

Sounds like the same stuff I was putting in my Lotus Esprit 40 years ago, albeit now with a "so much sexier" name!! Without doubt there have been developments of the formula through the decades.

Back in the day (my first Vette - a C5, 1999) 5w-30 wasn't available in UK and 0w-40 was the right Mobil 1 to substitute.

IMO the great thing about modern synthetics is they're all so good it doesn't matter very much which one you use. Climate in UK never gets seriously cold and at the hot end there's considerable overlap between 30s, 40s etc. I'm an old-fashioned guy and tend to follow the manufacturer recommendations where possible. Some modern cars have incredibly narrow oilways compared with back in the day when Duckhams 20-50 was the gluey gunk of choice. Most cars in a scrapyard today have an engine that works but have been written off by another, expensive mechanical/electronic disaster. Auto transmission hiccup? Airbag problem? ABS failure?