C7

Simon

CCCUK Member
Hi first post here.
Looking for some knowledge... I’m going to try sell my car this summer(It’s a c6 z06) then the plan is a c7. Id love a c7 z06 but it would be out of my financial reach for at least a year but would be able to get a c7 z51. My question is how would the standard c7 feel and drive compared to my old c6 z06. I use the z06 for 2000 miles and only tracked once but it does get some spirited runs.
Internet digging says on a track the z06 would be better?? And there’s not a lot in it on a straight line sprint but z06 would be in front??
Just worried I sell and get the itch for a c7 straight away and then am abit let down by the performance. I’m sure the wait for a c7 z06 would also be a better decision for depreciation.
Any thoughts or experiences would be great guys.

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Sold my (non Z06) C6 a couple of weeks ago to a club member, and been regretting it ever since. Some people, including me, like just as much/even prefer the more rounded lines of the C6 over the C7. Was down in Ian Allan yesterday getting my daily driver serviced, and admiring the 3 new and used C7s on display. Guy turns up from Devon (no CCCUK sticker) with his mint/black 07/2007 Bauer Millett plate C6 Z06. Looked fantastic, just as impressive as the C7s/an Iconic car. Not sure why you think the C7 Z06 is a "better decision for depreciation"?

Simon

CCCUK Member
C7 z06 for depreciation. Am sure it will. Can go into it all but it’s just ifs and buts. Higher the edition generally slows down after a few years, then stops , then may rise and slower than base models. Don’t see the zr1 c7 here and new c8 will take a long time to come down in price and will people want one?Had my vette 4 and half years and it should gain a small bit on what I bought for but not like the tvr Sagaris I sold after 2 years of owning, that more than doubled.

UKBeancounter

Committee Member
I read a report on the Interweb that GM currently have 212 days of C7 stock in the call off compound, and the likelihood is there will be substantial discounts on these a bit later in the year. C8 is being officially released in July, and that will also be the last production of the C7's.
For me, I have toyed with the idea buying a C7 Z06, I found a couple of "cheap" (ahem) examples when over in Florida last month, but having read the reviews of the Z06 against Grandsport have now bought a GS and am currently waiting for it to be shipped. I have a C4 which I occasionally take on the track, but wanted a bit more comfort in the C7 for road use. Most of the American magazine reviews say the Z06 is pretty lethal on the road.
The GS is a fully optioned car with 300 miles on the clock, $30,000 off sticker price.
It will still cost a ridiculous amount once Mr VAT man has had his share of duty and VAT, but still end up probably £20K cheaper than buying one here, even after the light conversion. And no the Sat Nav will not work unless I fork out more money to convert it, but to be honest I am more than happy getting lost if I am driving a Vette !!

UKBeancounter

Committee Member
Its a 2017 model granted, but had pretty much sat unsold in the dealers. It was bought by one owner in October last year, driven home, garaged, and then brought back in March and part exchanged against a pick up truck or 5. Ridiculous specification unless the scousers nick everything off it at Liverpool docks !

UKBeancounter

Committee Member
The difference of £4K between the duty, VAT and their total charges seems quite expensive. Does that include Marine Insurance? Hill Shipping have quoted me £2,125 for collecting from the dealer, shipping and dealing with customs clearance. This also includes marine insurance. I have the duty and VAT to pay plus the IVA. Peter at American Dreams did put a post on here a while ago saying he could get the IVA sorted for £950 as I recall (I am not using him, sorting it with Paul at Linconshire Corvette). At the moment, whatever the price is in Dollars, add about 5% and that is roughly the UK price. Gone are the days of $1.95 / £1 !
I have an unique rear fog light conversion that we are going to try and see if it passes the IVA. If so it will still look factory with no ugly blob on the back. If not, big argument time over the IVA manual with the tester.
Jason

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Jason, This is Shipmycar quote details/breakdown:

Delivery to US Port from Ohio (506 miles) £451
US Customs & Loading fees £165
Port to Port Shipping (consolidated container) £695 (£1,865 with your own 20ft container)
Fully Comp marine insurance (£450 excess) £786
UK Terminal Handling Charges £175
Container Unlading, Customs Clearance and NOVA £245
(Total "Shipping" Costs £2,518)

Mods for IVA Test £695
Attended visit To IVA test station £195
IVA test fee £199
12 months RFT £255
DVLA Registration fee £55
ShipMyCar Admin Fee £195
(Total "Destination" Costs £1,594)

Duty £3,757 (10% on value of car?)
VAT £8,266 (20% on value of car plus Duty?)

Seem to remember a few years ago, they also included the cost of shipping to calculate the VAT due? No longer the case? Peter

PS - Re the IVA. As you might know, one of the solutions for the side repeaters is to put them in the side reflectors. The club former PR guy (forgot his name) had them done that way on his C7.

Last edited:

UKBeancounter

Committee Member
OK, looking at the breakdown most of the costs are similar to mine. My car is in Virginia so not far from Norfolk port. Ohio is quite a trek until you get to water (that's why I looked for an East Coast car, but in the scheme of things not that much extra). Your quote also includes road tax, reg fee etc which are all extra as doing this myself.
The duty is charged on the car, shipping and insurance. The VAT is charged on the total cost of the car, shipping, insurance and duty. Your duty and VAT figures may be a little low if my understanding is correct.
For the IVA side repeaters I don't think they will work in the reflectors on the front of a GS or Z06 due to the flared wheel arches. the manual states they must be visible from a minimum of 5 degrees from the rear of the car. I will check when it arrives as this may be a nice solution, but I don't think it will work for me.
If anyone has done this on a Z06 or GS please let me know.
I was going to mount black smoked LED's on the side vent area's behind the front wheel, as ultimately these items are cheaper to replace than drilling a front wing.
For the rear fog, I have found a company who manufacture LED rear reflectors based on the original GM reflector parts which can be used as additional brake lights. The manual states that for North American cars, if the fog does not have a Euro marking it can still pass if the intensity is correct so fingers crossed this will be a very neat finish. If not, hideous fog lamp at the back !
I was thinking about buying Euro wing mirrors with side repeaters in until I found out the price was £800 each.
Finally I used TransferWise to make the USD payment, they are much cheaper than banks, charge a fee but you get dollars at the spot rate not the banks buy and sell rate. This was a great plan only destroyed by the dealer who would not accept an "ACH" payment (this is the US equivalent of our BACS I have subsequently found out). They will only accept a wire transfer, so back to the bank I had to go. None of the cheaper transfer companies appear to use wire, they all use ACH. Apparently in the case of fraud an ACH payment can be returned for up to 60 days, by which time the car will be out of the country. This happened to the dealership 10 years ago with a Camaro and they lost the car and money. If you know someone in the US, use a transfer company to move the dollars to them and ask them to make the wire payment for you.

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Jason,

1) I am still confused then why the SMC Duty and VAT figures I received appear not to include the shipping & insurance costs in the calculations (?). Its an online quotation system on their website/didn't speak to anyone. Have a go yourself with your car details?

2) CCCUK PR man's C7 was not Z06/GS.

3) There was a guy selling a US spec C7on Ebay a couple of weeks ago. I spoke to him/have his number. He had the side repeaters in his US spec door mirrors.

4) Good info on "ACH." Exchange rate I used was from the outfit who run the "Times Currency Service"

5) Presume you have seen this?

CCCUK - View topic - iva test

Last edited:

UKBeancounter

Committee Member
Not sure why the VAT/Duty calcs are different as the Government rules appear quite clear. Unless they know a way around it.
Maybe if you pay a UK shipping agent and they don't invoice until after the car arrives is the only thing I can think. I will check with Hill Shipping.
I will check door mirrors when it arrives but the last rental Corvette I had in Florida in March did not have these on. Perhaps he had converted them, or was it a Euro car after all. At least the C7's have amber indicators front and back now.
I have not looked at the Times currency service, but probably similar to TransferWise. They were very helpful but just cannot organise wire transfers unfortunately.
After the messing around with the original payment I just needed to sort the issue quickly as the dealership were wanting to put the car back up for sale, and perhaps rightly so.

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
It was definitely a (2014) US spec car. Per the owner, the then SVA work was done by a company in Southampton, including the side repeaters in the mirrors. He (non CCCUK member) was selling to get a C7 Z06. Claimed to have done the SatNav module conversion himself. I think we have "hijacked" Simon's thread. Apologies Simon.

Simon

CCCUK Member
Not at all guys 👍 all very interesting stuff.
Just need to know if I’d be disappointed in a c7s performance compared to the c6 z.
Shipping does seem a minefield but uv got that plus of a bigger choice .

UKBeancounter

Committee Member
Not driven a C6 ZO6, mine was LS3 with dual mode exhaust. The standard C7's I have driven on holiday seem quite a bit quicker than the C6, but on paper there is not much in it. The C6 Z06 had the 7 Litre engine so I expect the torque is immense. The overall feel of the C7 compared to the C6 to me is a significant step up in quality. Others may disagree. The C7 kind of reminds me of the steering sharpness of the C4, but feels as good quality as my 435 BMW, and a much better driving position. Again just my opinion, and I am 6ft 3 so need a bit of leg room in a car.

Simon

CCCUK Member
If correct the c6 z06 has 470 lb torque and c7 base 460lb . I was surprised at this too.
The best thing to do is go see one whilst I still have mine I guess but being in Scotland there all for sale a fair distance just to go and have a look

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Hi first post here.
Looking for some knowledge... I’m going to try sell my car this summer(It’s a c6 z06) then the plan is a c7. Id love a c7 z06 but it would be out of my financial reach for at least a year but would be able to get a c7 z51. My question is how would the standard c7 feel and drive compared to my old c6 z06. I use the z06 for 2000 miles and only tracked once but it does get some spirited runs.
Internet digging says on a track the z06 would be better?? And there’s not a lot in it on a straight line sprint but z06 would be in front??
Just worried I sell and get the itch for a c7 straight away and then am abit let down by the performance. I’m sure the wait for a c7 z06 would also be a better decision for depreciation.
Any thoughts or experiences would be great guys.

You did not mention what year and which tranny your selecting ?

Lt1 torque is about the same as to the LS7. Little less on flywheel HP but when I custom tune the PCMs for them
there is about a 40 plus HP gain
Also my customers do not like the damn DOD (4/8 cylinder) mode and I turn that off.
LT1 uses the direct fuel injectors and is more complex as have 2 fuel pumps system.
C7 has more electronic nannies, such as electronic control in rear end and steering

C7 has a lot more user control setting as to selecting different types of engine mods, like ECO, touring, sport and track modes
also allows owner to change the exhaust sound via exhaust management controls

LT1 overall is a stronger block since it has good cylinder walls where LS7 only had sleeves
Depending on which trim level the C7 has a better shock control system

Now depends on which tranny you select as the 7 speed manual has closer gear ratios then the 6 speed C6 Z06 has
or the auto tranny is 8 speeds ( unless you select 2014-16 which is 6 speeds) has paddle shifters

C7 has launch control if setting to Track mode, so great at drag strips or hard off the stop lights.
I have driven several C6 Z06s and C7s and I feel it performs better on track the C6s did

if not seen GM specs try
C7 specs

Simon

CCCUK Member
Many thanks!
I reckon a manual but not set on that if the right spec came up. If it’s close or not far off I’m very interested but will probably look more into once sold.
Forgive me as am new, do u do vette up grades and mods?
The Scottish Borders where I live are narrow roads with police vans around so I don’t get to unleash the z06s power all the time so if the c7 is not to far off it would be fine.
But my annual NC500 trip round Scotland I would want similar performance.
Think the c7 would be so much more smoother with still the thrills. 🤔

Roscobbc

I wonder how many C7's as compared with C6's (especially Z06's) have caught the drivers out with 'on the edge' traction/yaw control etc. When the C6 variants were relatively new a seemingly disproportionate number of Z06's went 'off the road' in slippery conditions. When I drove one of the first 8 speed auto C7's on wet and poor surfaced winter roads I was very impressed with the 'nanny' systems on the car - so good as to be almost undetectable and allowing full bore driving without the lags and gaps of lesser cars. C7 - a woefully underestimated car IMHO.