C8 on Top Gear

Jim W

CCCUK Member
The C8 review on Top Gear wasn't one of Top Gear's finest...! But what did we expect? Oh well.

But I couldn't believe Freddie's ignorance about the price difference here and the USA. He was trying suggest it was GM screwing us over on the price compared to the States. Doesn't he (or the other two) know It's not the Americans that are screwing us, it's the UK government. About £20,000 of a new C8 price is import duties and VAT. Then on top of that there is also £2,000 first registration tax. We get well and truly clobbered by HM Government.

All things considered the price of a new C8 is quite comparable to the price in the States bearing in mind sales tax is charged on top of advertised prices. In the US prices are advertised without tax. Here advertised prices are all inclusive of tax (so people don't realise just how much tax we actually pay for a new car).

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
I like Fred as a sportsman but it ends right there. I thought it was a terrible and inaccurate piece and at the time was thinking Harris would have been better but then hearing Harris's comment at the end maybe not..

The entire episode was crap

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
The C8 review on Top Gear wasn't one of Top Gear's finest...! But what did we expect? Oh well.

But I couldn't believe Freddie's ignorance about the price difference here and the USA. He was trying suggest it was GM screwing us over on the price compared to the States. Doesn't he (or the other two) know It's not the Americans that are screwing us, it's the UK government. About £20,000 of a new C8 price is import duties and VAT. Then on top of that there is also £2,000 first registration tax. We get well and truly clobbered by HM Government.

All things considered the price of a new C8 is quite comparable to the price in the States bearing in mind sales tax is charged on top of advertised prices. In the US prices are advertised without tax. Here advertised prices are all inclusive of tax (so people don't realise just how much tax we actually pay for a new car).
If you expect inteligent comments and well considered reviews , you are watching the wrong programme !! My inteligent and well considered view of Top Gear is it`s crap and has been for decades right from the Clarkson era ! Buch each to their own I guess .

Roscobbc

Top Gear (followed by other shows like Fifth Gear) have been responsible for people thinking that the sideways, wheels spinning driving techniques used on race track for thier tests are the correct way to drive a vehicle fast. As we know these presenters don't have to worry about burning out a set of tyres or braking something 'coz they don't have to pay for it. Gotta have a little bit of respect for Freddie as he owns a Camaro (a ZL1?) - ordinarily I would have respect for Harris, being the most experienced driver there.........but I can't because he seems to be biased against anything not of German manufacture. And again whilst he may actually source some of these vehicles himself, once again he (like the others) is trashing the nuts off someone else car.......not his own.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
A NW members restored '63 SWC was supposed to be an early Corvette pitted against the C8 on last nights episode but they changed to the Camaro just before filming. I'll bet he's happy they flipped..