C8 release information for 2021

Roscobbc

Cheers, Ross - sounds tempting, doesn't it!?
J.C. (1911)
It would possibly be tempting........except for the really quite significant disparity in retail cost comparing USA prices against projected UK release prices. Even taking into account that early release (and seeming concurrent vehicles) 'bare bones' minimum spec' cars are being marketed at $60K in the 'States and the addition of import duty/VAT/Car Tax/Dealer margin etc (and our vehicles will be a higher spec') projected UK prices of just under £82K for the coupe are IMHO unreasonable. Yes, I know some will say to look at what else is similarly available in the UK and that the Vette competes comfortably with these vehicles...............but it'll be missing the point really.

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Why the hell do the Americans assume that Europeans will want the Z51 option!! Anyone who "participated" in the NCM Bash will know its just NOT the option to have unless you intend to use the car primarily on the track. The new option of FE2 is quite clearly the option to choose, here or in the US, as Doug Fehan noted!

I've long held that Chevy's worst European enemy was itself and this bears that out. Cue all the daft UK mags moaning about ride quality!

As for the price, its still the cheapest way to get into a truly "supercar" - assuming you can live with the styling being just like all the rest! It's undoubtedly a great car (In FE2 trim!) but its not for me..... If Zora had got his way in the 70's I wouldn't be driving a Corvette now!

C6NL

CCCUK Member
Why the hell do the Americans assume that Europeans will want the Z51 option!! Anyone who "participated" in the NCM Bash will know its just NOT the option to have unless you intend to use the car primarily on the track. The new option of FE2 is quite clearly the option to choose, here or in the US, as Doug Fehan noted!

I've long held that Chevy's worst European enemy was itself and this bears that out. Cue all the daft UK mags moaning about ride quality!

As for the price, its still the cheapest way to get into a truly "supercar" - assuming you can live with the styling being just like all the rest! It's undoubtedly a great car (In FE2 trim!) but its not for me..... If Zora had got his way in the 70's I wouldn't be driving a Corvette now!
The non Z51 comes with all season tires, I have never seen a truly "supercar" on all season tires, plus the Z51 has better cooling. The percentage of owners that like to drive their car above the legal speed limit is higher in Europe compared to the US.

kentvette

CCCUK Member
I'm well aware what the Z51 option includes, as Tadge says, designed for track use, certainly not required for street driving, however illegally you want to drive. Ask Lee Willard about Michelin's new AS tyres, I think you find he believes them more than capable. Almost certainly 99% of Corvette owners are not racing drivers, whatever they may think.

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member

I'm well aware what the Z51 option includes, as Tadge says, designed for track use, certainly not required for street driving, however illegally you want to drive. Ask Lee Willard about Michelin's new AS tyres, I think you find he believes them more than capable. Almost certainly 99% of Corvette owners are not racing drivers, whatever they may think.

Well, now on my 3rd Vette, C4, C6 and now UK spec C7 Stingray, all Z51 cars. Love the Z51, and wouldn't have a late model Vette without it. Didn't "participate" in the "NCM Bash." Presume that means just viewing/watching it on the internet? There's nothing "new" about the FE2 Option (Magnetic Selective Ride Control) on the 2021 C8. MSRC was available on the C6 and is standard kit on UK/Euro spec C7s along with the Z51 kit. The only "new" thing for 2021 US cars, is that you can order the FE2 Option without also ordering the Z51. Suspect the 2021 UK/Euro Z51 cars will also include the MSRC as for the C7.

Do you know of anyone with a Z51 C6 or C7 who doesn't like having a Z51 car? Last week met up with a group of 7 guys at Ian Allan including 4 UK spec C7s. Do they like Z51 cars? Yes they do. I presume that Doug Fehan was not saying don't get a car with Z51? Also, I guess that "Tadge" said that a Z51 car has all the kit for use on the track, not that they are unsuitable for road use? What you have not mentioned is that the C8, like the C7, has various configurable driving modes. On the C7 that's Eco, Weather, Touring. Sport and Track. A UK/Euro C7 Z51 has perfectly acceptable ride quality on public roads, and never seen any criticism of it in UK motoring mags or anywhere else. Suspect it will be the same with the UK C8. So GM got it wrong again? Don't think so.

Jack Cooper

Well-known user
I agree with Chevrolet (above); my '07 C6 has Z51 and I think the handling/roadholding is really good. I haven't tried it on a track ......
My previous '92 C4 had FX3, the 3-stage Bilstein shock set-up ('Touring'/'Sport'/'Performance'). it was probably noteworthy for its time, but I found the car was more like a boat in 'Touring' and ended up just leaving it permanently in 'Performance'.
The main downside of the C6 ride is the road noise, primarily from the run-flats, altho' it does vary. depending on the road surface. Doesn't bother me particularly - it's a sports car after all.
Given the choice of cars with or without Z51 - all other things being equal - I'd always opt for a Corvette with that.
J.C. (1911)

C6NL

CCCUK Member
The main downside of the C6 ride is the road noise, primarily from the run-flats

I'm on my third set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP, compared to the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar ZP they are worlds apart, and not just when you talk about road noise, also comfort, longevity and handling in the wet.. You can't compare the two, run flat technology has come a long way since the development of the C6.

Jack Cooper

Well-known user
Agree - Michelin tyres are very good based on my experiences. Funnily enough, my C6 has Goodyear F1s on the rear (I tend to stick with 'factory spec' where possible) but when it came to replacing the fronts, the G'years were unavailable, so I fitted Mich Pilot Sport ZPs. When the rears need changing again, I'll get Michelins. Bowling Green switched to Michelin PS2s for the 2009 ZR1, so you're probably correct in terms of product improvement.
J.C. (1911)

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
And forgot to mention, if its like the UK/Euro spec C7s, the UK/Euro C8s should/will have "Dedicated European-tuned suspension, including shocks, springs and stabiliser bars" (to use GMs brochure wording).

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
projected UK prices of just under £82K for the coupe are IMHO unreasonable.

Ross, That's for a RHD UK spec 2LT Z51 car with one years RFT and 3 years Warranty. A US LHD 2LT Z51 has a list price now of $72,995 or £57,868 at 1.2614. Stick that in the ShipMyCar quote system, and to get that car on the road in the UK with IVA and 6 months tax is going to cost you £21,522 including £5,703 Duty and £12,546 VAT. And that excludes dealer to port shipping and costs of "sorting" the SatNav/Radio for UK. Total cost of £79,388. So UK car at £81,700 looks "fair" to me, especially considering that 1st year RFT is >£2k ?

Last edited:

Roscobbc

I'ts probably better for me to 'moan' at the import duty/vat/exchange rate rather than the vehicle itself - there was a time when a new C5 in the UK was actually a very reasonably priced car. Its that £21K that's the 'killer'!

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
See that In Mike's highlights PDF of the "NCM Bash," the most popular C8 option order is Z51 (75%). Good choice!

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Got an email from GM.com last week about the C8. The "base" car for the UK (and presumably mainland Europe) is the 2LT/Z51 spec. Says in the email that the "Launch Edition" will be 3LT spec:

"European customers deserve the best. That’s why, uniquely in Europe, the Z51 Performance Package and higher 2LT trim comes standard on our entry-level Corvette. This enhanced level package includes the performance exhaust, improved aerodynamics package and stable planting with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires, and much more! All, so you can focus on the drive, as you enjoy a Head-Up Display, Rear Camera Mirror and 14-speaker Bose Sound System. The launch edition will be even better equipped, with Magnetic Ride Control 4.0 and exterior details that further emphasize the Corvettes dynamic design. Available exclusively on the included top-of-the-line 3LT trim. "

Last edited:

Slick

Well-known user
The non Z51 comes with all season tires, I have never seen a truly "supercar" on all season tires, plus the Z51 has better cooling. The percentage of owners that like to drive their car above the legal speed limit is higher in Europe compared to the US.
Theres a speed limit ? .......Who knew

Jack Cooper

Well-known user
Just looked at Corvettes for sale on Pistonheads.........Clive Sutton has a red C8 (LHD) priced at (deep breath....) £132,000.
Gosh.
J.C. (1911)

Stingray

CCCUK Member
Clive Sutton has a red C8 (LHD) priced at (deep breath....) £132,000.

Wow, that's a hefty price!

Clive Sutton were an official UK Chevrolet dealer back in 1998, selling Corvette and Camaro (F-body) alongside their MG/Rovers, and I ordered my C5 from them. There was a long wait for the car and by the time it was delivered in early 1999 they'd already lost the franchise - GM were moving to new arrangements whereby Corvette and Camaro were marketed regionally through the larger Vauxhall dealerships. All part of the long-running UK shambles.