C8 RHD

N

Norm

Lots of folks here can't wait for the LHD..........:)

Some articles of interest.

Seahawk 80

Regular user
I'm not over enthused about a RHD Corvette,one of the great things about a Corvette is that few people want one because they're LHD,I never wanted to be one of the crowd ala the late model Ford Mustang,I don't see popularity as a plus.

Seahawk 80

Regular user
It will not be as common as a Mustang which has 4 seats and is almost half the price of a C8
I sincerely hope not,great car or not,I'm utterly bored sh@tless of seeing RHD Mustangs everywhere and worse still,dozens of them at car shows,apparently in the States a Corvette causes about as much excitement as a Vauxhall Astra here.

A

avdb

I see maybe one other Mustang each week on the Westcoast in Scotland

At a recent car meet in Motherwell with over 700 cars there was just one other Mustang (an old LHD Bullit). Also only one Corvette C3.

Seahawk 80

Regular user
I see maybe one other Mustang each week on the Westcoast in Scotland

At a recent car meet in Motherwell with over 700 cars there was just one other Mustang (an old LHD Bullit). Also only one Corvette C3.
Really!?,in Lincolnshire RHD Mustangs are extremely common,in fact I was beginning to wonder if Ford had dropped the Mondeo and replaced it with the Mustang GT,at Tatton Park this year there must have been at least 6 RHD Mustangs,I'm not knocking the car but you're definitely in a crowd with one of those vehicles!😀😉

Last edited:

Redlevel

Well-known user
Really!?,in Lincolnshire RHD Mustangs are extremely common,in fact I was beginning to wonder if Ford had dropped the Mondeo and replaced it with the Mustang GT,at Tatton Park this year their must have been at least 6 RHD Mustangs,I'm not knocking the car but you're definitely in a crowd with one of those vehicles!😀😉
Ayrshire, probably like most other places is awash with new rhd Mustangs.
However, today I saw a newish red Camaro in Ayr... Lovely car.

Seahawk 80

Regular user
Yes,the last thing I'd want to see for the Corvette or even the Camaro,it's OK for Ford's to be common!,
I was looking at Camaro's as I'd had two F Bodies,a 3rd and a 4th Gen,but I couldn't get around the dreadful lack of vision out of the 5th and 6th generation Camaro,it really is like looking out of a letterbox,not to mention the nearly 2 tonne kerb weight.Still a great car though,just not as good as a Corvette!,G.M. have always led with styling with the Corvette,Camaro,Firebird in my opinion though.

Redlevel

Well-known user
Really like new Camaro's. Dont know why they arent as popular as Mustangs over here, and they are less tacky looking too.
I still think that the Camaro might be GM's sportscar future especially if the C8 fails..

Seahawk 80

Regular user
Well they're stopping making the latest Camaro very soon and there's no replacement in the pipeline but the Camaro and the Firebird have always been great cars and in my opinion better than anything Ford ever made barring the GT40 and later GT.I think the reason they arn't as common is because they've never been RHD which is precisely what I'm talking about,another negative about a RHD C8 is that it will hit the value of C5,C6 and especially C7 models,not so the classics.There is also yet another negative which is worth reading up about,there's videos on YouTube,for people that care,RHD versions of what was designed as LHD cars always perform abysmally in crash tests as they were never designed to withstand collisions offside front to offside front,check out the RHD Mustang in head on crash tests,a death trap if ever there was.

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Very much doubt that the RHD C8 available here from Ian Allan in 2021 will have an adverse affect on used C5-C7 prices. One of the reasons for that is although there has been talk, including on here, of the UK spec car being circa £75k, word I have from someone who has spoken to them, is that it will be a circa £100k car (depending on options of course).

Suspect that the C8 has been designed as a LHD/RHD car from the outset? Also, think that one of the (main?) reason(s) the RHD Stang failed the Euro crash tests so badly, was that Ford had cynically stripped out safety equipment on the RHD cars that was standard equipment on the LHD/US spec cars. Whether that was rectified on the revised 2018 model year RHD cars, I do not know?

Seahawk 80

Regular user
That's what it hinges on,if it really is a £60,000 car here then I do see it hammering used values but as you've said I would think £60,000 is Donald Trump talk.I'm not sure you can design a car that can be safe both in LHD and RHD models but that wouldn't be an issue for me anyway.Unfortunately what Ford did is very typical behaviour of Corporate America,if it's all the same,I'd rather they forget Euro models and we'll just make do with U.S.models like we always have without cynically lowered specifications.

Redlevel

Well-known user
I already read the demise of the Camaro news, but wont believe it til it happens, if at all. Its a really popular car in the US just as much as Mustangs.
I reckon what happens to it, will depend on C8 sales in the US.. They'll need to be flying off the shelves before GM reckon they can lose the Camaro.
GM needs a fourseat sportscar to compete with everyone else's and the Camaro is legend anyway.
Never going to happen..

Redlevel

Well-known user
Well they're stopping making the latest Camaro very soon and there's no replacement in the pipeline.
Just back from Orlando and chatting with Chevrolets Design Team guys who have a presentation of 2020 vehicles there at their studio and they tell me there are no plans to discontinue the Camaro and any news to the contrary is fake.
The Camaro is a huge volume seller for GM, which we would agree with as we saw loads in our 2.5k mile southern state road trip (Alamo Escalade - total beast) more so than Mustangs I'd say. Also loads of C6's but only three C7's and one was at the Old Town cruise night.

Young Bill

CCCUK regional rep
That may have been one of the lads I know. Jaime was doing a wedding with another lad in his Mustang (RHD). I'll agree that the the Pontiac's and the Corvette's are the bestest. I'm a bit biased though :)74588514_10217774234241263_1982949841801576448_o.jpg

maoilearca

Regular user
Very much doubt that the RHD C8 available here from Ian Allan in 2021 will have an adverse affect on used C5-C7 prices. One of the reasons for that is although there has been talk, including on here, of the UK spec car being circa £75k, word I have from someone who has spoken to them, is that it will be a circa £100k car (depending on options of course).

Suspect that the C8 has been designed as a LHD/RHD car from the outset? Also, think that one of the (main?) reason(s) the RHD Stang failed the Euro crash tests so badly, was that Ford had cynically stripped out safety equipment on the RHD cars that was standard equipment on the LHD/US spec cars. Whether that was rectified on the revised 2018 model year RHD cars, I do not know?
I've heard from Ian Allen that it should be come in at £85k, and hopefully with lease options. But not until mid-2021 at best. Only about 100 allocated to UK and only through Ian Allan as sole UK dealer (though that may be sales-pitch). Does this make sense? Also, need to put down £2.5k deposit now for a build slot. Jesus! And what if Ian Allan went bust between now and 2021? Would you get your £2.5k back?

Roscobbc

Maoilearca - we will give you the benefit of doubt not being a CCCUK member and this being your first post. Yes, £85K is the 'projected' price when the RHD version is planned to arrive in UK (probably as you indicate mid-2021) There are several things you'll need to factor-in regarding costing etc. Firstly the $62K release price in the 'States is for a 'bare bones' car with none of the usual options typically specified - and that figure will rise.
UK Corvettes have always been marketed with a high specification, hence pro-rata more expensive. With the uncertainty of Brexit and the current (and potential future) dollar/sterling exchange rate the cars will most likely cost UK buyers more. Reality is that when IAM were marketing the C7 in the UK it was less expensive than a personal import would have been spec' for spec' (and had a full manufacturers 3 year warranty)
Historically (and unlike Fords recent marketing campaign with the RHD Mustang) GM's marketing of the Corvette in the UK has been somewhat lacklustre and we are currently left with one official UK distributor, Ian Allan Motors who have put a significant amount of work and money into marketing the Corvette brand in the UK for several years. The bottom line is that the UK is currently a relatively insignificant market for the Corvette compared with other European countries and Australia with UK 'well heeled' buyers seemingly preferring to invest in German manufactured cars. Perhaps the RHD Corvette will sell well in the UK (even though it will be nearly twice the price of a Mustang) I am sure IAM will have adequate buyer protection for deposits - but I'll leave that for them to respond.