Carburator plate adapter differces between square open bore and 4 bores

GiuG

CCCUK Member
Hi there, anyone knows the difference between a open bore plate and the 4 bores one, any performace differences? I'm curious about this, there is a lot of chat about this and prefereces.... Thanks!!!!

1682074092937.png 1682074240175.png

Last edited:

Roscobbc

So looking to use a Quadrajet or spread bore Holley on a 'square' or open plenum single plane manifold? - on a Vette hood clearance might be the primary concern (with the additional depth of the adaptor?

GiuG

CCCUK Member
In theory an open one works better at high rpm and the 4 hole type at mid-low rpm.
Right...sorry for my ignorance, what you mean works better, fuel efficiency or sprint? in high rpm... mid low mean the car start better, idle better?

GiuG

CCCUK Member
So looking to use a Quadrajet or spread bore Holley on a 'square' or open plenum single plane manifold? - on a Vette hood clearance might be the primary concern (with the additional depth of the adaptor?
Yeh you're absolutelly right this is the issue, but I wanted to understand why many people suggest the open square one, instead the 4 individual bores that's all, and by the way my air filter has a long stud, that I can cut a bit and there is also the flat version of the open bore adapter... if is going to happen ;)

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Right...sorry for my ignorance, what you mean works better, fuel efficiency or sprint? in high rpm... mid low mean the car start better, idle better?
Power/torque. So an open one will produce more power/torque at say 5000rpm than a four hole and the four hole type will produce more power/torque at say 3000rpm than an open one.

But on a standard engine without measuring on a dyno you probably would struggle tell the difference.