Carburettor change 72 350

Steamoilking

CCCUK Member
Hi all
Read loads from all over the place and completely curfuddled! But I need to replace the original carb as simply as possible (qjet ) So Holley seems the favourite but which one? Concerned about height fouling the hood etc etc mine is auto transmission with A/C
suggestions please.
thanks

Nick B

CCCUK Member
I have an Edelbrock 'Performer' intake manifold, carb and air filter on my '71 automatic, starts and runs sweet as a nut, no hood fouling issues.

bay.jpg

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I have just changed my rather worn out 750cfm Holley which was far too big anyway for a small block road car anyway . It was on an Edelbrock Torker 2 single plane inlet manifold . I now run a 600 cfm Edelbrock carb on the Torker 2 . The Vette is a 1980 with 3 speed auto and air con . Now it is properly set up it has transformed performance . No clearance issues either under the standard hood , but not much room to spare .

Roscobbc

As Oneball says - Quadrajet is a good carb - replace with another and you won't need a new inlet manifold.........

antijam

CCCUK Member
As Oneball says - Quadrajet is a good carb - replace with another and you won't need a new inlet manifold.........
+1 from me. I replaced an incorrect and worn Quadrajet on my '71 with a professionally rebuilt correct unit and the car drives perfectly - with no mods necessary. 🙂

Alben78

Well-known user
I replaced mine with a supposedly professionally re-built unit specially imported from the USA. Trouble from the day it was fitted. Should have just rebuilt the existing carb with a cheap kit, or bought an Edelbrock or a proper rebuilt unit.

antijam

CCCUK Member
That's the downside nowadays of the Quad compared with Holley and Edelbrock. The latter two you can buy new and warranted, with the Quadrajet you're getting a rebuilt unit of often unknown provenance - unless you rebuild it yourself. I got mine from Phillip Cancilla and it was a very high quality rebuild - and of course , not cheap.
By the way, if anyone wants a Quadrajet for a '73 'High Power' automatic I have one - overhauled by me but needing adjustment - for sale.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Edelbrock are very straightforward carbs and work pretty much without lots of tinkering if that`s your bag . I have just had a 600cfm Performer 1405 fitted . Edelbrock have mechanical secondaries unlike Holley`s vacuum operated . You can pick them up for about £330 .00 . The guys at Williams Brothers Racing don`t even faff about rebuilding old carbs .

Roscobbc

Edelbrock are very straightforward carbs and work pretty much without lots of tinkering if that`s your bag . I have just had a 600cfm Performer 1405 fitted . Edelbrock have mechanical secondaries unlike Holley`s vacuum operated . You can pick them up for about £330 .00 . The guys at Williams Brothers Racing don`t even faff about rebuilding old carbs .
Yes Edelebrock carbs have mechanical secondaries but they don't operate like a Holley (who do also supply vacumn secondary carbs better suited for street use) A Holley mech secondary carb as a generalisation should only be used on a higher performance manually geared (or race spec car - whether auto or manual) or possibly a lightweight auto vehicle or car with a very low (high numerical axle ratio) geared rear end..........or you'll run the risk of overfueling the engine. The Edelbrock is a mechanical secondary (much like the original Carter AFB which it was styled on) but importantly there is an 'interlock' that prevents the secondaries operating before sufficient vacumn has been generated to open them. Note. The Rochester Quadrajet also has the same interlock preventing secondaries needlessly.

Roscobbc

So you reckon I have the wrong carb for my car ?
Certainly not the wrong carb for your car Chuffer - there is nothing wrong whatsoever with the Edlelbrock carb (same as Quadrajet) - just differing 'tuning strokes' for different folks. Some people like them because they work well 'out of the box' and find them easier to 'fine tune' by simply changing needles etc. Others feel the same way about Holley carbs and the simplicity of changing jets, and yes an 'off the shelf' Holley vac secondary carb will also work well on most engines 'out of the box' - However had your engine perhaps been substantially modified it may have been more difficult for some to 'dial-in' the Edelbrock carb and that's where perhaps the Holley preference might come in to play. TBH Chuffer if you had a couple of grand to spare something like this is now the 'smart money' - so easy to tune things and see all the engine parameters 'on the fly. Edelbrock.com: Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 EFI Systems

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Hi Ross , certainly based on my research the Edelbrock was suitable for my install . Ironically , being a 1985 Camaro IROC - Z 305 cu inch motor my motor would have originally had TPI . I don`t think I will be splashing out £2K on putting fuel injection back on again .

Roscobbc

Hi Ross , certainly based on my research the Edelbrock was suitable for my install . Ironically , being a 1985 Camaro IROC - Z 305 cu inch motor my motor would have originally had TPI . I don`t think I will be splashing out £2K on putting fuel injection back on again .
OEM TBI systems and aftermarket MPI systems are poles apart in terms of user adjustability.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
|Indeed , but I am going to look into installing a mechanical choke cable through to the dashboard as currently a bit of a faff starting her up and keeping the throttle partially open until it warms up and ticks over .