Carrying T tops on chrome 'boot' rack.....'74 Vette?

Gus

CCCUK regional rep
Hi Chaps......has any one got any reccomendations for doing this safely please?

Space always at a premium in a 'sugar scoop!'

Thanks

Gus

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Ensure that it the rack has been fitted correctly, as specified when new and dealer-fitted. That means having suitable bracing underneath the body and requires the tank to be removed for correct fitting. Just putting bolts through the fibreglass will see the rack and tops flying off at anything more than low speed.

Gus

CCCUK regional rep
Now that sounds like a good tip......this was fitted by the dealer, who replaced an old rusty rack before I bought the vehicle. Is there a reliable way of checking without removing the tank?

I suspect not....

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
If the dealer did as good a job on the rack as he did with your "good condition " spare wheel and tyre it will be as much use as chocolate teapot :cautious:

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
Putting them on the Rack - "OOPS! There goes my T Tops"

By the way always pick them up with two hands
I picked one up with one hand from a corner once and "OOPS! it cracked"

Gus

CCCUK regional rep
Probably squeeze the tooth brush in somewhere Chuffer........and maybe I could roll up the underpants and peg them to the luggage rack?

Dazaa

Well-known user
Ensure that it the rack has been fitted correctly, as specified when new and dealer-fitted. That means having suitable bracing underneath the body and requires the tank to be removed for correct fitting. Just putting bolts through the fibreglass will see the rack and tops flying off at anything more than low speed.

I've never heard of anyone using bracing under the body or dropping the tank to fit a luggage rack. Do you have any more info on this? From what i've been told by the US forum guys the only way they were ever installed was with Wellnuts.

Gus

CCCUK regional rep
Story was, on buying the car, that it had origonally been fitted with a chrome rack which had become very rusty/tatty....and a new rack fitted just before I saw the Vette.
It definately looks like a new rack........

Not sure what to do for the best as I don't want to contact the seller.....

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Dazaa is correct. They were fitted by the dealer not the factory and the dealer isn't going to start dropping the tank on a brand new car. Same fitting for the passenger side mirror base plate.

Attachments

• Luggage Rack.PNG
    Luggage Rack.PNG
    194.7 KB · Views: 4

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Dazaa is correct. They were fitted by the dealer not the factory and the dealer isn't going to start dropping the tank on a brand new car. Same fitting for the passenger side mirror base plate.

I stand corrected - I knew they were a "dealer fit" item (you lose marks at NCRS level because or them!) but I'd read in the past about those just "bolted" flying off. I seem to recall seeing photos of bracing, but maybe that was just an add on. But, I see that even the later C3 (80 on I think) that had a roof carrier option had only rather hefty looking nuts and washers or well nuts underneath!

Gus

CCCUK regional rep
Thanks guys.......I thought it sounded like a lot of aggro for a Chevy dealer to do to a new car, if it was a tank out operation...

R

Rogueone

To me its simple, the rack was called a "luggage rack" which means luggage on the rack, T-tops in the car

Gus

CCCUK regional rep
But that leaves very dodgy rear vision......particularly in a left hand drive motor.....and I've had an additional mirror fitted...