CARS America, Hailsham

phild

CCCUK Member
Just to add - make sure you've got it thoroughly photographed inside and out before CCM touch it. You need a 100% rock solid visual record of exactly what you've got back.
They're doing a written condition report and I have pictures to back up everything plus the invoices saying what work was done and parts obtained. Luckily in my work detailed documentation is essential and I carry it through to personal stuff. I'm one of those anal guys that keeps box files of every single document relating to my cars. :)

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Best of luck getting those missing items back that belong with your Corvette.

If something ugly were to happen to this loser those that posted 'threats' might want to edit their posts?

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Remember the black big block '74 Vette that featured on the tv resto show? When Pete Knodt's black 454 Vette was supposedly 'restored' by a seemingly endless line of 'experts', each one trying to make good of the F ups of the previous person quite a few perfectly working parts were strangely lost (never to re-appear) to 'new' replacements - like trick 4 speed auto and torque converter. Semi custom big bore exhaust system. Perfectly functioning calipers - the 'new' calipers leaked on his way home with total brake failure. And this was a tv hosted snow.......
I watched that originally on TV and enjoyed the show. At the time I wasn't in the club or even have a Vette. Fast forward a bit until I did and heard the rumours and it shocked me. It did peak my interest though a lot, but rightfully for various reasons people were being quiet. Fair enough, not my business. Still, you know sometimes something "sticks" with you that you want to know - it was a mystery that fascinated me always. So thanks for providing more details. I think my brain can just about close that mystery off in it now. :)

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
As to the original post though - so glad you got your car back, but so sorry to hear of the state it is in. Its nowhere near the same as you, but I can sympathise a bit with you as my Vette was having some work done to it years back, took FAR too long for the minor work being down as the garage was always distracted with other more important work. My Vette was left outside for a long time, causing it to leak rain inside a bit. Eventually when they started on it, it was inside after that thankfully. As it was on my way home I popped in their once a week to nag, to not much avail.
Anyway, most of the work had been done, but not all, and I nabbed it back from him as it was "driveable" and he had missed all deadlines and I needed it for my wedding - I picked it up 2 days before the day. It was used for the day and thankfully it stayed alive - it wasn't running that great. Then we went away on honeymoon and came back to find he had gone under and most of my spare parts were with him still. I tried every way to contact, no joy. Months rolled on, no joy. Then out of the blue a nice old chap contacted me and explained the situation and said he had my Corvette parts stored at his. Apparently he'd been trying to find me for a while. Dropped the parts back and all good in the end, EXCEPT for the minor out of pocket when I had re-ordered a bunch of my new parts as I assumed I'd not see them again.

So yeah, lost a bit of money on it, which was a lot for me at the time. Hey hum, that's the risk you take with garages.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I consider myself very fortunate as I’ve never really had any issues with garages both in the UK and USA doing work on vehicles. Never been “turned over” or anything in 40+ years. Just lucky I guess.

Roscobbc

I watched that originally on TV and enjoyed the show. At the time I wasn't in the club or even have a Vette. Fast forward a bit until I did and heard the rumours and it shocked me. It did peak my interest though a lot, but rightfully for various reasons people were being quiet. Fair enough, not my business. Still, you know sometimes something "sticks" with you that you want to know - it was a mystery that fascinated me always. So thanks for providing more details. I think my brain can just about close that mystery off in it now. :)
Co-incidentally Pete called me later yesterday afternoon - Capt's comment 'various reasons people were being quiet' - these TV people 'gag' everyone - they force all people envolved to sign an agreement that prevents you discussing the work done on the vehicle with third parties - with onerous implications it you are to do otherwise.
If you are the 'lead' member in the 'family' associated with the car owner you'll sign away any recourse of action by the owner after the car is returned - effectively allowing the TV company to do exactly what they want with the vehicle (and they most certainly do). Of course the actual owner of the car is totally unaware of this untill far too late. Reality is that there is an extremely high risk of the family member who signs the TV companies documentation creating a huge rift within his or her family group if the TV company does something the actual owner of the car is uphappy about.............and the reason why Pete can discuss this is because his brother is a solicitor and refused to sign the documentation without significant variations to the terms and conditions.
In Pete's own words "They took a car that was running almost perfectly mechanically (it had a few minor auto-box and other insignificant problems) and effectively F***ed it up".
Sorry to side-track the thread......in reality it is the same kind of issue - people taking on car and restoration work who are totally out of their depth. As Pete says - who the hell do you trust?

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Please tell me what show this was, as I would love to see it. Hopefully that will not infringe on anybody’s toes?

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
And yes the car did badly need birdcage work - but to cut access holes in the front fenders......is that the proper way to do it? - sinkage has been an issue......
Wow, that chopping of the front fender seemed a bit drastic. I’m no body man, but I’m sure it could have been done differently. No wonder the owner wasn’t happy when he saw what had been done to his car.

Roscobbc

Wow, that chopping of the front fender seemed a bit drastic. I’m no body man, but I’m sure it could have been done differently. No wonder the owner wasn’t happy when he saw what had been done to his car.
Being quite 'close' at the time with Pete and 'sharing' thoughts about tuning regimes etc I knew exactly what Pete wanted to do with the car.....his family knew that and put the TV production company on touch with me. Had a long conversation with them suggesting things that needed to be done.........which were totally ignored. They went and did what they wanted to do which I expect was a monetry 'thing' - they'd bitten off more than they could chew. The show is a normal film and 'money thing' - the production company will allocate a nominal amount of money to do the respective 'resto' jobs on the individual cars and when a series of shows is complete, say 8 or 10 shows they'll finance the resto's, plus costs, wages etc by recoup when the series is sold to one of the national TV networks. Presumably 'repeats' will earn them more money. The shows are quite heavily edited although you'll still see the occasional 'fopar' from Tim or Fuzz which can come as a surprise when they are supposed to be knowledgable car guys. Its a good show though and must help some people gain knowledge and understanding but they can't edit-out facial expressions of some of the 'lucky' owners.

Richhoops

New user
Good morning, just read most of the post here. John did a load of work for me, I actually saw a blue corvette being fully rebuilt wiring etc. He still has parts I have paid for…… not replying to emails either. Would be grateful if I could have a chat with you as I spent some time trying to get his details and came up short. Best regards Rich

phild

CCCUK Member
Good morning, just read most of the post here. John did a load of work for me, I actually saw a blue corvette being fully rebuilt wiring etc. He still has parts I have paid for…… not replying to emails either. Would be grateful if I could have a chat with you as I spent some time trying to get his details and came up short. Best regards Rich
No problem, I've replied to your message.

C1CKS

CCCUK Member
Glad you got your car back phild sounds like a nightmare! Shame that there are garages out there that give some of us others such a bad rep 😡 I have been repairing cars since i left school in 86 and started my own business in 94 and am well known in Worcester where my business is established. Hopefully you will get your car back on the road in no time and you can put the nightmare behind you 😊

phild

CCCUK Member
Glad you got your car back phild sounds like a nightmare! Shame that there are garages out there that give some of us others such a bad rep 😡 I have been repairing cars since i left school in 86 and started my own business in 94 and am well known in Worcester where my business is established. Hopefully you will get your car back on the road in no time and you can put the nightmare behind you 😊
Thanks, its doable now its in the hands of a professional. I'm just trying to recover some of the missing parts that I've paid for which will help enormously.
Good luck to all the others in the same boat, hope you all get your cars/parts back soon.

Oneball

CCCUK Member

How you getting on with the Vette? Didn’t realise you were in Worcester too.

C1CKS

CCCUK Member
How you getting on with the Vette? Didn’t realise you were in Worcester too.
So............ SLOWLY😭 Work is manic so not had much chance to progress. I was in ST.Martins Gate but moved to Sherriff Street a few years back.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
So............ SLOWLY😭 Work is manic so not had much chance to progress. I was in ST.Martins Gate but moved to Sherriff Street a few years back.
Was they when they built the new bit? I’m just the other side of the river. Will pop in at some point after the holidays, it’d be good to know someone local who does bodywork.