Check Engine warning light . . . . ?

Paul Newman

CCCUK regional rep
Hi folks.....had my C5 Vette for almost a year now and slowly getting familiar with it (although it has been in selective hibernation for some of the winter months). I've picked up quite a few tips and some helpful advice from YouTube, including the method of clearing the 'Codes' on the D.I.C. but that darned 'Check Engine' warning light keeps popping up from time to time? If I've understood it correctly the main concern is when this light flashes rather than illuminates continuously? Open to suggestions there? I have a CTEK battery charger as used by one Jay Leno, which is fantastic for restoring and recharging my battery. Just after a charge the Check Engine light sometimes disappears, as it does when I clear the D.I.C. codes. However, it still seems to flash up again soon after and the car seems to run perfectly? It is due for a service and M.O.T. fairly soon so I'll get them to check it......known glitch I've heard......what do you reckon? P.S. I hope to join you all at the Corvette Nationals at the end of June this year, get to know other owners and pick any useful contacts for servicing and spares/accessories....cheers!

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Instead of deleting the DTCs you need to use via the DIC and write down what DTCs are being reported
and post them here
When is diag mode of DIC scroll through and write those codes down
Normally when the CEL flashes means there is engine misfires.

I do not know how this works in your country but here in the USA when smog testing is done and any DTC shows
and/or CEL is on the car fails testing.
You need to fix the problem, assure no CEL or DTCs tripped before testing is done

Any time you clear the DTCs it may then take 1 or more drive cycles for the PCM to do certain on-board tests
and re-trip the DTC(s)

Using DIC for Diag mode

1. Turn your key to the "ON" position, but do not start the engine.
2. Clear any present messages on DIC by pressing the RESET button.
3. Hold the OPTIONS button down, and press the FUEL button 4 times.
(This will get you into the "codes" section of the DIC)
4. The computer will automatically display all the codes your car has created.
It will cycle through each code every 3 seconds. (write down any codes shown)

Note: Any code that ends in an "H" is a history code (something that has occurred in the past, or C which means current)

5. Once the computer has finished going through all of its codes, press RESET to enter Manual Configuration mode.
It should start with a module and show "NO CODES" or "# Codes."
6. To optionally reset codes once in manual mode, press and hold RESET until is displays "NO CODES."
7. Press OPTIONS to go into the next module (ie, from PCM, or Powertrain Control Module, to TCS, or Traction Control System.)
8. Repeat Step 6 until you have reset all the codes in all the computer modules.

Paul Newman

CCCUK regional rep
Thanks for that, will see what I can do. Visiting the States next month and doing a road trip along the Pacific Highway.....may pick up some of the smaller accessories for my car too, any recommendations on Corvette spares/accessories shops in and around California???

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Informing what the DTCs are would help pinpoint the problems
DTCs starting with P for Powertrain

If the issue is due to multi misfires main DTC is P0300
If PCM can tell which cylinders then DTC as example P301 is cylinder 1 to P0308 is cylinder 8
Best is a OBD-II scanner and looking at what DTCs tripped, and viewing all cylinders misfire parameters to see
if and which misfiring if that is the problem
or look at the PIDs for "fuel Trims" and O2 sensors to see if engine is running too lean or rich.
Would know more once knowing which DTCs are being triggered on

Sorry not sure what Corvette shops are west coast but expect a "Corvette Tax" by them (higher pricing)

FYI, already been in the 90 F deg weather in southern Ca so have some suntan lotion :)

oelarse

Well-known user
I personally have bought VCDIAG VCXNANO (appox 100 USD) from ebay (china) and run Tech2win on my 64bit win 10 laptop wth 15.6" screen .
It is a very nice troubleshooting tool for this car

Ny win 10 64bit pc med VXDIAG VCXNANO.jpg

V

Vetteheadtony

Where are you located, I have a Tech2 GM diagnostic if your near Essex!

Phil Harris

CCCUK Member
Instead of deleting the DTCs you need to use via the DIC and write down what DTCs are being reported
and post them here
When is diag mode of DIC scroll through and write those codes down
Normally when the CEL flashes means there is engine misfires.

I do not know how this works in your country but here in the USA when smog testing is done and any DTC shows
and/or CEL is on the car fails testing.
You need to fix the problem, assure no CEL or DTCs tripped before testing is done

Any time you clear the DTCs it may then take 1 or more drive cycles for the PCM to do certain on-board tests
and re-trip the DTC(s)

Using DIC for Diag mode

1. Turn your key to the "ON" position, but do not start the engine.
2. Clear any present messages on DIC by pressing the RESET button.
3. Hold the OPTIONS button down, and press the FUEL button 4 times.
(This will get you into the "codes" section of the DIC)
4. The computer will automatically display all the codes your car has created.
It will cycle through each code every 3 seconds. (write down any codes shown)

Note: Any code that ends in an "H" is a history code (something that has occurred in the past, or C which means current)

5. Once the computer has finished going through all of its codes, press RESET to enter Manual Configuration mode.
It should start with a module and show "NO CODES" or "# Codes."
6. To optionally reset codes once in manual mode, press and hold RESET until is displays "NO CODES."
7. Press OPTIONS to go into the next module (ie, from PCM, or Powertrain Control Module, to TCS, or Traction Control System.)
8. Repeat Step 6 until you have reset all the codes in all the computer modules.
Very usefull information, my 2000 C5 convertible has a rake of alarms that keep coming up which can be reset, but return after perhaps 10 minutes, the messages are something like ' Shock Absorber Failure' 'Traction Control Failure' and a number of others which seems to be limiting the car to 80 mph. The car runs cleanly and all seems fine mechanically, I'll give your DTC Diag mode interrogation a try and see what I get when I'm back at the lock up where the car is stored. Phil

oelarse

Well-known user
If you look up your DTC codes and report back in a new thread we could try to help you out . I recommed to use the mobilephone and film these codes when they show up

Phil Harris

CCCUK Member
If you look up your DTC codes and report back in a new thread we could try to help you out . I recommed to use the mobilephone and film these codes when they show up
Hi,
there were a lot of 'Historic' codes and only 2 that showed up with a 'H' and a 'C' - these were BO-RFA C2110 HC and
BO-RFA C2100 HC , I've reset them all now. Thanks, Phil.

Phil Harris

CCCUK Member
Hi,
there were a lot of 'Historic' codes and only 2 that showed up with a 'H' and a 'C' - these were BO-RFA C2110 HC and
BO-RFA C2100 HC , I've reset them all now. Thanks, Phil.

z06_tim

Busy user
Hi Phil. These are error states for two of your tyre pressure sensors. Have they just stayed away now? With all your other warning messages it sounds like you have a weak battery (or earthing). Make sure battery is in good condition and fully charged would be my first recommendation.

Phil Harris

CCCUK Member
Hi Phil. These are error states for two of your tyre pressure sensors. Have they just stayed away now? With all your other warning messages it sounds like you have a weak battery (or earthing). Make sure battery is in good condition and fully charged would be my first recommendation.
Hi, interestingly I only bought the car about a month ago and the owner informed he had fitted a new battery, having said that two of the tyres are not giving a pressure reading which suggests this is the underlying problem with the current codes. Do you know where the sensors are installed please, are they in the tyre perhaps. Thanks for all your advice!. Phil

z06_tim

Busy user
Hi, interestingly I only bought the car about a month ago and the owner informed he had fitted a new battery, having said that two of the tyres are not giving a pressure reading which suggests this is the underlying problem with the current codes. Do you know where the sensors are installed please, are they in the tyre perhaps. Thanks for all your advice!. Phil

Yes in the tyre. Talk to Keith Becshi from Eurovettes. He can advise better than I can, as there are different sensors with different frequencies for different markets. He should be able to fit and code them to the car too.

oelarse

Well-known user
As far as I know the 97-00 has 433 mHz and 01- has 315 mHz . If you want to upgrade to 315mHz you need to replace the receiver for the TMPS sensors and FOB´s .
Here is some more info on these 97-00 sensors
The stock sensors need no coding , they need a strong magnet to be connected to receiver ,shown in this video
The batteries in the sensors are probably gone , they normaly last prox. 10 years .
These batteries are possible to replace

Myvettezr1

Regular user
Hi folks.....had my C5 Vette for almost a year now and slowly getting familiar with it (although it has been in selective hibernation for some of the winter months). I've picked up quite a few tips and some helpful advice from YouTube, including the method of clearing the 'Codes' on the D.I.C. but that darned 'Check Engine' warning light keeps popping up from time to time? If I've understood it correctly the main concern is when this light flashes rather than illuminates continuously? Open to suggestions there? I have a CTEK battery charger as used by one Jay Leno, which is fantastic for restoring and recharging my battery. Just after a charge the Check Engine light sometimes disappears, as it does when I clear the D.I.C. codes. However, it still seems to flash up again soon after and the car seems to run perfectly? It is due for a service and M.O.T. fairly soon so I'll get them to check it......known glitch I've heard......what do you reckon? P.S. I hope to join you all at the Corvette Nationals at the end of June this year, get to know other owners and pick any useful contacts for servicing and spares/accessories....cheers!
Ive found starting it everyday for 20 mins at least or to temperature, everything on, lights, heater etc, keep it as if its being used if your not going to

Phil Harris

CCCUK Member
As far as I know the 97-00 has 433 mHz and 01- has 315 mHz . If you want to upgrade to 315mHz you need to replace the receiver for the TMPS sensors and FOB´s .
Here is some more info on these 97-00 sensors
The stock sensors need no coding , they need a strong magnet to be connected to receiver ,shown in this video
The batteries in the sensors are probably gone , they normaly last prox. 10 years .
These batteries are possible to replace
Fantastic, many thanks - I see there are other useful videos about code resets as well. Phil