Clock Highs, Oil Pressure Gauge Lows

Jimbo64

CCCUK Member
Whilst waiting for snow to finally melt and rain to wash away the salt on our roads, before taking my 72 to my mate's garage to rebuild front suspension with new bushes, ball joints and shocks, I decided to take my centre console "out" in order to replace my non-functioning oil pressure gauge and have a go at trying to fix my clock. The latter courtesy of many How To videos on the Intraweb.
Suffice to say, console removal was a delight....again! And I was frustrated to say the least when I saw that the oil pressure gauge pipe from engine, had "snapped" (very hard thin pipe) behind the console, probably with me "wiggling" the console so much getting that forward.
So new gauge not going in yet. Rockauto came to my rescue, with an oil pressure pipe kit ordered in minutes.
So onto the clock, got it removed reasonably well enough, then onto dining table (warmer inside than garage!) and carried out the strip down, as per watched videos and once I had cleaned and gently blew a lot of dust etc away (thanks Mrs G for lending me your hairdryer) I connected it to my battery charger and hey presto, a lovely working clock, which was accurate for a good five minute trial.
So a semi happy boy today20210219_195839.jpg20210219_195803.jpg

Vetman

CCCUK Member
Well done. Corvette clock is the only component that runs day and night for possibly years at a time while the battery is connected. No doubt why so many eventually stop working.

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Good work! I'm envious of your working clock - ours hasn't run in 30 years, but I just have never been able to bring myself to pull the centre console out! As everything else there works (famous last words of course!) I just know all the gauges would stop if I got the clock going! And, as the car spends a lot of time with the battery disconnected, I'd always be re-setting it!

At least I can justify this: :D

Last edited:

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Good work! I'm envious of your working clock - ours hasn't run in 30 years, but I just have never been able to bring myself to pull the centre console out! As everything else there works (famous last words of course!) I just know all the gauges would stop if I got the clock going! And, as the car spends a lot of time with the battery disconnected, I'd always be re-setting it!
But at least it tells the correct time twice a day ! :ROFLMAO:

sublimemike

Well-known user
My clock didn't work and I was lucky - just tightened the nut holding the wire on the back a quarter turn and bingo. Disconnect the battery though before you touch it as its a permanent live. Might save anyone pulling the dash. It's tight behind there but possible.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep

At least I can justify this: :D
View attachment 9453
Mmmm , nice (y) What make is it ?

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Mmmm , nice (y) What make is it ?
Nothing fancy - I'm not into that sort of thing - it's put together by a little watch making and reparation company over in the east of France, Michel Epenoy, who made a selection of designs for The Corvette Club de France, to mark the clubs 30th anniversary. Mine wasn't expensive, and I thought it would be a bit of fun, and when a couple of friends bought various editions, I had to have one!

Jimbo64

CCCUK Member
Well after a fair bit of work/head scratching/choice words, finally got clock working in the car. Oil pressure gauge and kit went in really well and leak free (35-36 on gauge on idle)
Discovered that the rubber insulator around the positive terminal of the clock was really perished and allowed the terminal to move and contact the casing, when I started to move the console back in place. Typically it was after I had reconnected the battery and was chuffed that all seemed to be working fine. Blew the fuse and obviously had to remove clock and find a solution.
Luck would have it, found a rubber grommet that with some slight modifications fitted a treat. Lesson learnt and all good now. Just need to put everything back together now.20210313_141829.jpg20210313_151702.jpg

James Vette

CCCUK Member
Well after a fair bit of work/head scratching/choice words, finally got clock working in the car. Oil pressure gauge and kit went in really well and leak free (35-36 on gauge on idle)
Discovered that the rubber insulator around the positive terminal of the clock was really perished and allowed the terminal to move and contact the casing, when I started to move the console back in place. Typically it was after I had reconnected the battery and was chuffed that all seemed to be working fine. Blew the fuse and obviously had to remove clock and find a solution.
Luck would have it, found a rubber grommet that with some slight modifications fitted a treat. Lesson learnt and all good now. Just need to put everything back together now.View attachment 9805View attachment 9806
Love the old radio and the dial layout.

Jimbo64

CCCUK Member
It would appear, from what I've seen and read, that the main problem is the electrical system, the small points/contacts get stuck together with corrosion, and/or the mechanical part gets all dusty and in my case, the rubber grommet at the positive/power connection becoming very crushed and disintegrating. So hope with what I've done to mine, it will continue to work for many years to come.....maybe.
If there is a large crowd around my car at the Nationals, then it may well be other C3 owners viewing the rare sight of a working clock! 😲